Dogboys' 1986 Z50R resto.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogboy

Reaction score
Started like this:

IMG_1155.jpg

dismantled:
IMG_1160.jpg

new parts + some painted parts:
IMG_1158.jpg

seat recovered:
IMG_1163.jpg

frame/swingarm/forks painted:
IMG_1164.jpg

wheels/shocks painted:
IMG_1165.jpg

I fitted new wheel bearings, head stem bearings and brake shoes and cleaned/painted the engine.

The engine runs great and I left it stock as it's for my nephews/nieces/daughter to ride.

Then re-assembled:

z50r2.jpg

z50r3.jpg

But now I'm too scared to let the kids ride it. Might have to buy them a crf50 and fit a 88cc to the z50r and keep it for myself!:D

Last edited:
thats awesome mate!! For sure, get them a second hand crf and keep the old girl for yourself ;) guaranteed to be kicking around for many years to come!!

With the headstem bearings, did you go original 50r or did you upgrade them to the crf tapered bearings? You are lucky on the forks! most have stuffed bushes, and are bent to the buggery. iv got 2 sets here bent as :( got a set of rims spare if your interested.. they dont fit the J without spacing and I CBF.. (i got new chunky rubber already!)

With the headstem bearings, did you go original 50r or did you upgrade them to the crf tapered bearings?

As the bike is for the kids I couldn't justify using tapered bearings but went for the stock crf50 caged bearings over the loose z50 bearings.

mate, how long did it take you? that is a bloody awesome resto job!

Sorry to go off topic here. But you cant get new Honda Z50's can you? You have to get the old ones and fix them up, right?

Also, what about the road rego models, where do they come from?

they had an anniversary one i saw it at a honda deal a little while ago. not sure if they are still available

Thanks for the kind comments. the build was over 6 months, I would get side tracked on other projects and it was placed on the back burner.

You cant get z50r's anymore, they were replace by the xr50.
you can buy 40th anniversary models with compliance plates so they can be rego'd. There is limited numbers and they aren't cheap at around the $4k.

sweet z50r man. done good job by the looks of it

Latest posts

Back