dpro 160 chain tension and valve clearance?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangaBlitzFanga

Reaction score
i immedaitely changed the stock chain for a DID gold chain. made it the same length (gotta love chain breakers) when putting it on the wheel was off the ground and the chain looks and feels pretty tight (same as stock, about the same tension, had it back it off to join the chain then retightten). but on the ground under its own weight it looks fairly slack

whats the correct way to tension it so it dooesnt strain the sprocket shaft or come off and smash the case

also. valve clearances?

Last edited:
Engine valve clearances are the same as the rest 0.004 inch inlet and 0.006 exhaust

the chain needs to be cut as you have to the length abouts what it needs to be within one link and then adjust where the rear wheel sits on the swingarm with the adjusters with the axle loose and you should get to about 20-25mm of play in the chain is pretty sweet i would not go much looser or tighter

the advice on this forum is great but its always missing a few key components :fumeur7:

how exactly do I measure it? There's a vast difference between unweighted/fully extended (sitting on a milk crate), and static weight (by itself on the included stand) on this bike

This little detail is crucial because if its too tight it'll strain the drive shaft when the bike rebounds or leaves the ground. And as these don't seem to follow normal bike swingarm characteristics (tightens linearly as it compress, whereas this seems to be at its loosest somewhere in between?) I can't rely on what i'd normally do

I measure mine while sitting on it, I measure 2 fingers from the screw holding the top of the chain guard. Always done this andd never had an issue.

I measure mine while sitting on it, I measure 2 fingers from the screw holding the top of the chain guard. Always done this andd never had an issue.
same here, just give the measurements in mm so its better understood through the web i dont get out a measuring tape either :p

Yeah do it when your on the seat or your weights on there you know and it should be alright when the bike is de-weighted anyway and looser when fully compressed i think

I dont trust the 'I think' part as i've had to repair a smashed crankcase 3 times now. All due to chain being too loose (which was caused by other issues but the result is the same)

When i'm better I'm going to remove the bottom shock mounting bike and move the swingarm through its stroke. find the tightest part and adjust for minimal slack there

Well i have run 20-25mm of play or about two fingers for the 150hour life of my 1st bike (then sold it)
and the 50 hour life on the nitrous and well over 300 hours of the bikes up at my mates property
so i would say its fine make sure your alignment is good and have you got the wheel spaced correctly
have you checked the straightness of your swingarm?

If you wanna do it properly, here is the manual... Happy reading, I made it to the second page and now my head hurts, but if you're really that keen then here's how it's done. Let us know how you go :)
http://www.dualies.com/downloads/files/How To - Chain Adjustment.pdf

And I quote
You first need to put the bike on the stand and remove your shock.
Before you do anything, simply take the swing arm through it's motion of travel from top to bottom. This is
the point where many are convinced something is amiss right away, as they often find that there is a point
in that travel that the chain gets completely tight. Bowstring tight in many instances.
This often will open a persons eyes who has thought they were tensioning their chain properly, but were in
reality over tightening it.

Which is what I was going to do anyway and it seems the most logical. But I figure someone on here would have done that to the 160 already since its so popular :)

But unlike every single Jap/Euro bike i've seen, not all china's have the 'tighten spot' at full or near full compression and it almost always being loose at full extension, tight at full compression. Note that I said above, with the swingarm fully extended its the opposite, and If I were to tighten it any more with it on the side stand, it would DEFINATELY be too tight when fully extended and WILL cause damage

And I quote
You first need to put the bike on the stand and remove your shock.
Before you do anything, simply take the swing arm through it's motion of travel from top to bottom. This is
the point where many are convinced something is amiss right away, as they often find that there is a point
in that travel that the chain gets completely tight. Bowstring tight in many instances.
This often will open a persons eyes who has thought they were tensioning their chain properly, but were in
reality over tightening it.

Which is what I was going to do anyway and it seems the most logical. But I figure someone on here would have done that to the 160 already since its so popular :)

But unlike every single Jap/Euro bike i've seen, not all china's have the 'tighten spot' at full or near full compression and it almost always being loose at full extension, tight at full compression. Note that I said above, with the swingarm fully extended its the opposite, and If I were to tighten it any more with it on the side stand, it would DEFINATELY be too tight when fully extended and WILL cause damage

Now you've got me double guessing.... With mine sitting upright against a wall the chain is quite loose (almost able to pop it off the sproket with my fingers) however it tensions quite a bit once i'm on it. If i'm bored one day i'll try this, infact i'll hopefully be getting myself a shock riser soon (If i ever get a reply from someone called Rotn.... :p )so it will be a good excuse to try.

Now that's this is up, I think I'll go and delete my once thought helpful chain tightening thread post and sit on the dunce chair for the remainder of the evening!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now that's this is up, I think I'll go and delete my once thought helpful chain tightening thread post and sit on the dunce chair for the remainder of the evening!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah sorry i should have just linked it up and forgotten about it

Latest posts

Back