drive train slop / lag

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimaste

Reaction score
I have about two second delay between when engine revs and xr50 picks up and goes when I throttle up . also jerks when throttling down.
It's an 03 xr50 stock motor. Just replaced clutch plates and put bbr springs. Clutch is adjusted properly and broken in. Carb is adjusted properly.
Anyone else had this problem it's driving me nuts. Or is this how 50s are. I've had a 110 before, it wasn't like this.

Is it stock bore?

You usually get a little bit of hesitation but not like a full 2 seconds.

You sure the clutch is adjusted properly?

Oh and Welcome to Miniriders :)

Welcome to Miniriders,

Don't forget to drop in and Introduce Yourself here.

I reckon that the Pilot jet sound's like it's blocked
Poke a single strand of copper wire down though it, blow compressed air through it etc till it is clean and you can see light through it into the carby bore.
This is the Pilot jet (sorry bout the bad pic)-

view-2.jpg

Then assemble the carb, refit it to the bike and try it out.
You may need to adjust the mixture screw to tune it again

Also blow some compressed air through the 2 small ports on the filter side of the carby, while feeling for it coming out the underside jet holes.
And remove the mixture screw when you blow it out too, dirt may be blocking things up there too.
Refit the mixture screw and set it to 1.5 full turns out as a base setting and tune from there

Cheers, Craig

The delay isn't between the throttle and the engine, it's between the engine and the wheel and im pretty sure it's not the clutch since I've replaced and adjusted it.
I guess its more like 1 second. Its enough to really throw off my timing.
I did clean the pilot thoroughly, also adjusted the chain
Yes stock bore

Last edited:
Is there any play in the Primary driven gear that sit's to the left of the clutch ?
Sometimes the rubbers inside can fail and this creates a lot of slop in the drive line.
You would have seen a lot of black bits in the oil filter screen and oil when you had the clutch off.

2-l.jpg

There were some black bits the screen I'll check it out tonight!

Since I accidentally posted this in jap builds I'll put both my bike pictures in here. I haven't open the case on the 04 again yet probably next weekend. I got an 07 with a 125 motor, triple clamp bars, +1 forks and springs, seat, pegs and mounts for cheap. Frame was a little bent and still gotta fix the rear of frame and brace.

Latest posts

Back