DS80 Crank Seal Question

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcdsog

Reaction score
Hey guys. I picked up a 97 DS80 a couple months ago. It was in rough shape. Had obvious signs of clutch side crank seal leakage.
This bike is for my daughter. Trying to get her onto riding like I did.
I went ahead and replaced every seal, bearing, gasket, etc since I was splitting the case. The clutch side crank seal had actually worn down and split in two. When I installed the new OEM seal, it was kind of a loose fit. All the others were tight, as I would expect, but not the clutch side seal.
Is this normal? I almost put some sealant around it but decided against it. I'm thinking it may have spun the seal, hence making a loose fit.
I have the bike totally assembled but can not get it to idle right. I'm thinking it's because of the seal. I rebuilt the carb with a whole new kit and it still wont idle. I dont see oil on the plug like before the rebuild bit I'm thinking there's just enough to mess the idle up. It either dies or I idle it really high to stay running. There's also excessive smoke.
I'm thinking all signs point to the seal not sealing properly but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with an issue like a loose clutch side crank seal.
I've spent about a week and prob $600 worth of parts and really want to get this bike in shape for my daughter so she can ride. Is there any test I can do to 100% detect if the seal is leaking? If it is and I have to tear this bike down again, what do you guys recommend using to seal the seal in the case (It's just barely loose)?
I'll post some pics of the project when I get to a pc.
Thanks a bunch and I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Attachments

• 20171018_210539.jpg
    20171018_210539.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
leaking crank seals are most definately the problem for no idle or high idle.
smoking is normal for a 2stroke, especially when the bike's been sitting for a while, the oil sinks to the bottom of the fuel tank. shake the bike before you open the fuel tap.
about the loose seal... it might have spun around as you said... sealant won't hold because you're building somewhat of back/pressure in the crankcase... can you make the next size up fit maybe?
wost case fix (not recommended) you could cut a slice of a tube (height of the seal) to glue in the worn outer diameter of the seal and fit the next smaller size of seal than would fit in the tube you just inserted.
this is not a good sollution, but might work.
best sollution would be to get the hole machined to the next-up outer size for a new size of crank seal.

Latest posts

Back