dual perimeter frame mini builds

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.J.Brearley

Reaction score
So I've been lurking on the forums for over a year now and finally managed to get my hands on something to build.
I picked up two perimeter frames for 50 dollars, they were a bit dirty but were complete (frame, swinger and subframe)IMG_1791.JPGIMG_1792.JPGIMG_1793.JPGIMG_1794.JPG

They came with three swingers, two seem to be the stock standard perimeter frame swingers but one is a really nice billet piece. IMG_1796.JPGDSCN1710.JPG

I also picked up two lifan 1P54FMI engines for 5 dollars a piece, both need left hand covers but one was complete and the other needed the woodruff key and a clutch assembly. The one that needed parts got torn down and I'm going to get the head ported and shaved down to make a bit more power until I can get my hands on either a yx or zs 160. The photos are of the engine that I tore down. It seems to have tons of carbon buildup on the piston and combustion chamber but the bore feels brand new so I think it has been run too rich, also causing it to run really hot as the gaskets are all baked on to all surfaces.
DSCN1706.JPGDSCN1705.JPGDSCN1703.JPG

I'm planning on building one into a bbr replica, that will receive the 160 and will be a track bike with 12/14 rims. The other will be a trail bike and will eventually receive the 160 from the bbr replica when I can afford a motosyko or ooracing yx/zs bottom end. It will have a snokel that comes out under the back fender and she will have 14/17 wheels to handle the ruts and what not.

Any input is most certainly welcomed as you guys clearly have more experience then myself.
Cheers in advance

does anyone know what head bearing they would run, one frame has the really steep angled bearing that are probably 10 mm deep into the head stem and the other has the usual very shallow curved bearing that sit probably 5 mm into the head and wrap around the bottom of the bearing

Most likely they will run a tapered crf50 headstem bearing, ensure you remove the old outer races and install the correctly orrinetated bearings into the stem of the frame, because it's alloy I'd use some heat, but because alloy is a decent heat dispater, it may require extra heat, rule of thumb if you spit on the heated area and it boils on impact it's time! ;P
I've built a motosyko bottom end, they're decent, but almost the price of 2 standard yx160's it's a bit much

Latest posts

Back