Electric starter problems on Pitsterpro mx110

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brono12

Reaction score
Hi guys & gals, just bought a pitster pro mx110 for my son, it's only 6 weeks old and the electric starter has crapped itself, I've checked battery, fuse and wireing and all seem fine, the starter itself works fine if I put direct power to it, any ideas would be much appreciated, I'm not the world's best mechanic so sorry if this is a silly question, anyway got to say great forum, keep it up.

The button could have crap in it..
make sure you are holding the front brake in when you push the starter also..

welcome to Miniriders,
i see you have been a member here for a while but have only just made your first post.
i was much the same when i joined up, took me quite a while to start posting.

make sure you drop in and say hello in our Introduce Yourself thread too.
http://www.miniriders.com/general-chat/20824-introduce-yourself.html

if you have a look for the starter solenoid you will see a small wire connecting to one of the small terminals.
this should have 12v at it when you are pushing on the start button, use a 12v test light to check it or a multimeter.

it could have dirty contacts in either the start switch, the connection where the switch joins the loom, or maybe where the loom connects to the starter solenoid.
pull them apart and give it a spray with wd40 etc plug them back in and try it again

cheers, craig

I gave the connections a clean and a spray with wd 40 but I didn't think to clean the connections to sstarter solinoid, I'll give it a try, the funny thing is it was working fine, then I washed the bike, after I washed it it wouldn't work, I wouldn't worry about it but it's my young fellas first bike and he's only a skinny little fella and hasn't quite got the strength to kick it over all the Tim by himself and where I take him and his brother riding it's a pretty big track and when he comes off he can pick it up ok but can't always kick it over so he has to wait for me to run down to him and start it, it won't take him long until he can kick it over himself but it would be much easier if I could get it going again. It had to stop working one week after the warranty finished, although one month warranty is a bit of a joke, my young fella has barely run it in. Thanks for your advice guys, what sort of pitty do you guys ride?

it could also be a bad earth to the frame ?
might pay to undo any earths to the frame, clean them up with sandpaper so the terminals bolt up against clean bare metal.
even unbolt the ignition coil off the frame and clean up the earth.
smear some dielectric/bulb grease on them too to help stop corrosion etc

the other thing to look at too, it may be the starter solenoid has dirty connections inside of it?
i have fixed up a few with that problem
disconnect the battery and wiring to the starter, take the solenoid off, and take the rubber boot off it.
you'll see a couple of tabs that are bent over on one end of the solenoid.
these hold it together, gently open them up to take the solenoid apart, taking note of how it looks so you can reassemble it again.
the brass contacts inside the solenoid can get corrosion on them, and wont allow a good connection for power to flow through to the starter motor, clean them up with a wire brush, or tip of a screwdriver and smear a bit of that dielectric grease i mentioned above on the contacts, then reassemble it and try it out.

shortcuts to my bike build threads are below in my signature

Latest posts

Back