Engine break in...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my new bike fresh from china opend the booklet that came with it. It said that run in should be aprox 7000km ...hehe So i took the old girl for a quick cut and that was the extent of the runing in period. Motor lasted about 40hours i guess, keeping in mind that i had no interest in making the motor last, just a pure pleasure.

I got my new bike fresh from china opend the booklet that came with it. It said that run in should be aprox 7000km ...hehe So i took the old girl for a quick cut and that was the extent of the runing in period. Motor lasted about 40hours i guess, keeping in mind that i had no interest in making the motor last, just a pure pleasure.

oh pete that is so you lol

i run mine in 2 tanks of fuel then let loose

Lots of engine braking and riding up hills and stuff. Do a search on running your bike in and you will get plenty of answers.

i highly doubt anyone will get 7000 km out of a pitty motor, well not before it needs work. we all know they are not built to last and for the price why would u complain, its cheap fun and thats why the pit bike scene is growing bigger every day.

i highly doubt anyone will get 7000 km out of a pitty motor, well not before it needs work. we all know they are not built to last and for the price why would u complain, its cheap fun and thats why the pit bike scene is growing bigger every day.

my pitty i have now iv had for 3 years and its still going strong

keep it at half throttle each gear n shit n every now and then
rev it then throttle off and let engine braking kick in.
keep doing that in the first tank of fuel

after that ride it hard.
if you dnt put pressure on the rings then it wnt
properly form and once tht cross hatching goes
then you lost your chance of getting a properly seeled
rings and my have to re crosshatch it.

if you fuck around and dnt ride it
hard then you wnt get the most of out ur engine
once break in has finished.

and besides if ur rings dnt get used to the pressure put on
the rings holding it flat while in break in then your rings wnt form
a proper seal at tht pressure.

i rode my hard as soon as i got mine.
nothing is wrong
starts 1st or 2nd kick
plently of power

I am absolutely convinced it does. First, the theory is based on sound principles and to my knowledge, technically correct. Second it is supported by evidence of testing both methods and also shows motives for manufacturers to recommend the gentle break in even though they themselves run them hard initially at the factory. Thirdly, I have seen myself first hand the effects of gentle break-in compared to hard break-in and there is a definate difference in performance and reliabilty from the exact same engines run in with both methods. As to the performance difference, I estimate it to be equal to the difference between running a racing cam verses a stock cam in a stock engine.

slight load untill the engine feels like it is running free, then abit more load for a couple of tanks. then go nuts:p

Also the mention on that site about corect grade and immediate oil change is IMO very important. I will not start the engine with the factory oil at all. I only use mineral 10w/40 and after the very first 15min hard run that first lot is dumped. It will be grey and absolutely chockers with filings and sometimes even chunks! (if its in factory state) After another three or four hard runs the oil gets dumped again.

i agree with mack about oil changes. IMO you cant change your oil to often.

well lets put it this way...
i revved the shit outta my ducar when i first got it
next day i still revved the shit outta it
and many many many days of revving the shit
outta it i finally changed oils....
OH YES i was running factory crap... i think it was
about a month i finially changed oils. Yup still pulled
like she did wen i first got it but after
9 months she finally died.... pulled her apart
piston n ring wer still as good as it gets
fully dismantled the bastard to realise tht
it wasnt a engine problem but my coil was completely
fried (didnt find out till i put my old ducar coil on my lifan
which wouldnt start several montsh later)
haha not putting back together cuz the timing
would be way off and i lost about more than half the
bolts for it.
but yeh goes to show riding the shit outta it
when u first get it is better than not riding it
hard at all

Latest posts

Back