fast ace as 02 problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i bought a set of second hand fast ace as 02's (clearly marked on both forks) at a good price recently. went to service them, and the oil chamber is normal on on side (needed the bung taken out to release oil) but the other leg has no bung, and a far bigger hole to the oil chamber. when i released the air from this leg i got a heap of oil out of the valve as well. all my research leads me to believe they are in fact as 03's, but they are definitely marked as as-02's, and i trust the seller implicitly, being one of the most helpful guys on here, it's pretty hard not to trust the bloke ;)
has anyone else come across this problem, and what the crap do i do about it? should i just fill that leg up, put the air valve back on the bottom and pump it up?

here is a pic of the leg that had the bung in it

and the leg that had no bung, and a much larger hole....

ok, so you undid the air valve from the bottom, took the end off the fork and that's the pic of what's there ?
which fork was it the rebound or compression ?

yeah, i don't remember even looking at the bottoms of them tbh
the Fastace AS03 had steel legs too

as02rc-1.jpg

the thing that is throwing me is looking at the diagrams the two legs look basically identical, but the insides of mine are different to each other. the hole is significantly bigger on the one missing the "bung", as the pics above show (bottom pic is the fork in question) and the part the bung would screw into looks different as well. they didnt feel to bad for callum when they were on the bike, but would have been way to soft for me, thats why i decided to pull them apart. should i take them to a shop to see if they can fix them, or re fill the chamber as it was before i pulled them apart?

i read in the thread above that they used thicker oil in them.
also saw they have oil in the bottom of the rebound fork

on my forks, the compression side retained its oil (my rubber boot seals stayed in the bottom of the forks when they came off for some reason) until i undid the little hex headed bung, where as the rebound side dropped its oil when i released the air from the fork. the ones in the thread seem slightly different, and i didnt see a mention of the "bung" being removed, just the rubber boots

yeah read that thread, read a heap over the last 3 hours, and nothing is telling me what i need to no, which is, is there supposed to be a bung in there like the other side? none of the threads i have read have made mention of each side being different, or only one needing the oil drained through the bung and the other just dropping out through the air valve...

i just had a closer look at mine, and they dont even have the rubber boot pictured in the miniriders thread, just what seems to be a rubber seal on the inside of the bottoms of the fork leg, where the leg screws into it.

and looking at the fast ace rebuild kit on mini mob racing the fast ace forks dont use that big rubber boot/seal so they musnt have been fast ace as 02 forks in that thread

i will pull the bottom off my Right fork tomorrow and let your know what's in there.
the adjustable ones i have for my Fuse are pretty much identical just longer, and different brand

cheers craig, worst comes to worst i will put em back together how they were, with heavier oil, and just buy gpx's when these blow completely (providing that there is something wrong) cause i cant find parts anywhere

ok, so i've pulled my fork ends off,
found that someones rounded a couple of the socket head screws that hold the guard on one, nice !

anyway, the Rebound fork has the button head bolt in it
and the Compression Fork has the same

this is the Rebound fork leg

are you able to get a clearer picture of what is inside yours, can your phone do Macro shots ?

forget about the macro shot

does that metal valve come out from the bottom ?
and is the centre section sealed?

these are probably the best photo i can get of the rebound leg

the compression leg, note the difference in hole size, and the plate the bung screws into...

and this is how they are sitting currently,

i am hoping to not have to pull them down any further, as my confidence in putting them back together is not exactly high, especially using that dodgy service manual and i dont have any of the seals or o rings to replace the old ones with
not exactly sure what your asking about craig, if you mean the plate the bung screws into, i would say yes as it has a rubber seal but i dont no how exactly you would go about getting it out... im definitely at the end of my skill and knowledge on this one..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back