Finish year 12 or not?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stay at school or get an apprenticeship?

• Stay at school and finish year 12

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • leave early and get an apprenticeship

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters

Sidney

Reaction score
hey

I either want to be a car or bike mechanic when I am older. I am currently in year 10 and thinking about trying to get an apprenticeship next year.

Did any of you guys leave school early? is it a good idea or is it better off to stay and finish year 12 first?

only serious comments please.

thanks

im in year 11 and im looking for a motorbike mechanic (small engine) apprentaship, although im doing a fiberglassing course at the moment which might leed to a job in my instructors facory making race car shells! that would be sweet and good pay to :D

hey im in yr 10 this year too and ill probably wont end up going to yr 12...im just gonna see how i go and if i suprise myself and get really good marks then ill probably consider yr 12...but if not then ill try find an apprenticeship..

hope this helps a lil bit
matty

you should put another option in saying depends- if you can get an apprentaship before year 12 then leave but if not then stay in school and do year 12

Stay in school untill you can find an apprenticeship (if you can). And dont waste your time being a mechanic, it is completely shit pay. Be a boilermaker, machinist, fitter etc Thats where all the money is. My friend is on his 3rd year as a apprentice fitter machinist and earns more then a qualified mechanic :)

Mate - you should do year 12.

The reasons are:
1. You might change your mind about what you want to do
2. Year 12 gives you choices - not doing it gives you no choices
3.If you have to compete for the best apprentiships - a year 12 pass will give you an edge over the competition
4. If you wan't to be a good mechanic and have a career path - you need the tools mate - particularly maths (downer)

yeah i wouldnt leave school just because i can, id only leave if i actualy got an apprentaship

i was thinkin of doin the same but 9 of my 10 mates who did have ended up back in school, its harder for people to get jobs now with out finishing high school, at the moment im doing a cert 2 in autmotive at tafe every thursday for the next 2 years and i get wednesday off for work exp. this way i get to complete schooling and the cert 2 means you start as a 2nd year apprentice.

Stay in school untill you can find an apprenticeship (if you can). And dont waste your time being a mechanic, it is completely shit pay. Be a boilermaker, machinist, fitter etc Thats where all the money is. My friend is on his 3rd year as a apprentice fitter machinist and earns more then a qualified mechanic :)

The exception is a diesel mechanic - particularly on a mine-site. Those blokes earn big money.

motoluver is right but there is also alot more work needed o become a boilermaker or machinist, a mechanic is the easy way out. Diesel mechanics does earn ya big bucks but everyone i know is planning on going to the mines. So i dont expect there to be many jobs left in the near future.

left at the end of yr11- i got an apprenticeship as an automotive manufacturer( building trains buses etc) i get $320wk first year, dont leave school unless youve got an apprenticeship lined up and if u can do a partime tafe course, it helps to get an apprenticeship

I'm also in year 10. I'm looking at being a oil rigger when I'm older so I'll definatly have to stay until I finish year 12. My second option is a trademans job. Somthing like a cabinetmaker or a carpenter or a plumber.

Also, if you have a tradies job then you can basically get any job if your smart enough etc.

if you can get a plumber or electrician get it top pay and not that hard a work but other wise i stay at skool i left this year and wish i stayed parents always used to tell me school is the best time of you life and now ive left i relised that school was the best and easyiest time of you life so sidney and all you others id stay and do year 12

my 2c

oh and also i just finished a 20 week tafe pre aprenticeship car machanics course and i did work exspirence at a machanic joint and they offered me a jobb but i turned it down

machanic=shit work,hard work,long hours, SHIT PAY

Why not do both?

At my school we have a " school based apprenticeship ".

Find out if this is a part of your schools curriculum.

oh and also i just finished a 20 week tafe pre aprenticeship car machanics course and i did work exspirence at a machanic joint and they offered me a jobb but i turned it down

machanic=shit work,hard work,long hours, SHIT PAY

lol yeah ive realised a bit more now, being a mechanic is shit. I work at a wreckers, its shit. really shit.

can't you do tafe courses after school and stuff

stay dude DEFINATLY! My older brother left half way through yr 10 and he's got a sh*t job, can't really afford to pay to fix his car, and honestly can't see him getting anywhere! It may seem like a good idea at the time, but in the long run unless you're really smart about it it can seriously screw you over... My opinion anyways :)

Left 6months into year 12, took 2 years to get an aprenticeship despite a prevoc. Having trouble getting a full time job now, only just getting onto some good leads. For your own sake stay at school, finish 12, then think about gettin a job

Latest posts

Back