Finish year 12 or not?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stay at school or get an apprenticeship?

• Stay at school and finish year 12

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • leave early and get an apprenticeship

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters
i think there must be something wrong with me lol. the teacher says something and I have litterally forgotten it 20 seconds later.

i think there must be something wrong with me lol. the teacher says something and I have litterally forgotten it 20 seconds later.

Same thing with me. I cant pay attention properly and just zone out and think about something else. Try and get prescribed add/adhd pills.

na man im not gonna take any of that shizz, but you do the exact same thing as me lol

anyway, do powdercoaters get good pay?

Coming from a different perspective. I was fortunate to turn Pro (not MX) when I was 15 years old. I left school and began to race. Looking back I wished I had of stayed in school to get a qualification. I had to manage my time with racing travelling and SCHOOL WORK sent to me by BikeNZ.
Seriously I have had the best time of my life for the past 19years racing the World but you make no money living and racing. DURT Girl and I know from first hand experience that yes it is fun but what have I got to fall back on… Trophies???

Through pure dumb luck we own our own company and do talks throughout NZ to our future High Performance athletes. If it wasn’t for the School work coming to me I would be a bum on the streets by now. I am not saying we are rich or don’t follow your dreams, but just really think about how much you want to be a cycle mechanic when the world is your oyster. Personally stay in for another year, when you come out you will undoubtly have a much greater grasp on your future plans. Boiler Maker or Diesel Métis. Earn great cash, but again initially they put in the hard hours and Labour.

Follow your heart mate

na man im not gonna take any of that shizz, but you do the exact same thing as me lol

Yeh ritalin is shit, confuses you and feels like caffeine. But dexamphetamine is good for studying/school. Was the only thing what would help me concentrate and learn. I wish I was prescribed to it, I would of done a lot better in school and most likely would of finished year 12.

ok mate i read the fist 3-4 pages and all i herd was bullshit. it was frustrating to read as NONE of them had 1st hand experience. if you want to be a mechanic. do it! i am a second year apprentice mechanic and love it to bits. i have wanted to be one since year 4-5. piss off its the easy way out as someone said. its hard to find a DECENT apprenticeship these days but if you find one stick with it. yeh it might be shit pay but it only opens doors. im 17 i own 2 cars (both bmw e30s. one is my project car that is registered) a 2006 ktm exc 250 (cost me 6 grand) my pitty spent neally to 2 grand on it including first purchasing it. and so on. and i still have around 10 grand in the bank. hmm heaps shit pay. :O trust me its plenty for a 15-19 year old. ill be a tradie at 19 and i WILL own my own garage by i am 25. there is no doubt. its my plan my future and im chasing it. my cusin is 21 and a 2rd year motor mechanic (turning 4th) and he still loves it. however he done year 12 and it has got him no where faster then me. ill be a tradie at the same time he would have been 3rd year. its not an easy job but its fun. honestly mate if thats what you want to do then do it! dont listen to all the money hungry kids. trust me if you folllow your heart you'll be the one smiling at the end of that day.
pm me if you have any questions about it and ill answer you back.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^

i totaly agree with u 50's

i didnt mind being a machanic but these days MONEY is a big part of our life IMO

^^at least someone agrees with me, oh an dexamphetamine pills have a chemical in them used for eccys ;) not that id know that lol

Powdercoating? are you serious that you would want to leave school to do a laboring job. who cares what the money is like the job would be crap.

did I say I want to LEAVE school to do it? no.

it just sounds like an interesting job and I'm just wondering what the pay would average out to be. My dad is a building painter/gyprocker anyway

I'd stay in school, it will look better on your resume and will give you a wider range of jobs.

how on earth at 15 does anyone really know what they want to get out of bed every day and do
ok maybe you 50'sbh but your some sort of mechanic guru freak super guy
man i love cars moto's and pushy's
but there is no way i could get up every day and fix other peoples cars or bikes for that matter
i worked for a bike shop after school for ages and i'm good with this sort of stuff but not in the long term
i really like my job now and enjoy getting out of bed every day to go and do it but i will more than likley get sic of it in 5 or so years and go and persue other paths
this will be very hard for me as i dont have any qualification in any other trade bar mechanical engineering and with no vce or high education i am instantly put to the bottom of the pile
and thats exactly where most of these kids will end up if they leave school maybe even you if you ever get sic of being a mechanic what is going to get you another job in any other industry then

i dont mean to be so blunt but life's a bitch you spend 12 years having fun at school and the next 47 years of you life working your ass off to make somthing for your self
i tell ya it's a long and hard lesson to learn

p.s 50's had a good point with the mechanic thing i know mechanics that work for formula 1 racing teams big $$$$$$$$ and they would do it all for nothin

Last edited:
Maybe he could start a mechanical apprenticeship and then not like it so he became a builder or painter or so on.

Dude im in yr 11 now, i want to do an apprentiship but i also want a choice or a backup. Also if i get high grades im not do something a little more complicated. I reckon unless ur a real drop kick stay and finish skool

coolmodee has a point too. that i am some sort of mechanic guru freak super guy :p. nah i see where your coming from too,

helmotbros: am i a real drop kick because i left at the end of year 10? i got all band 5s in my School certificate without studying. heaps a drop kick. obviously your parents wont let you do what you want to do?

its all about what you want to do in life. if you arnt sure stay in school. but if you are then leave. its that simple.

sidney the best rule to go by at the moment dont leave scholl without a job.

Latest posts

Back