Flywheel mod

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo97

Reaction score
Hey guys, lightened my flywheel a while back for more acceleration, got lots more! But dose feel like I've lost some speed.. Dose lightening them take away some top speed? I don't see why it would baut can see how lightening it helps it get going quicker.

I've heard the only downside of a lightened flywheel is that you lose a touch of engine breaking, but its not meant to be much.

you get more engine braking because less inetria

with a lightened flywheel you get less inertia, so less engine braking.
eg the engine doesn't slow down as quick with a lighter flywheel

less inertia from the lightened flywheel means it will be easier to stall the engine too, when taking off etc

have you got any pics of your lightened flywheel ?

Im also interested in a picture. I wouldnt mind taking SOME weight offmy yx160 flywheel.

I just drilled into they side of my original one, drilled about 9 holes and it is soo zippy and so much more accel! And seriously. ? Less inetria means its easier to slow the engine down! ? You have a bowling ball right. U roll it down the lane, takes a bit of effort to throw but once thrown it has momentum and would be hard to stop. Chuck say a tennis ball down the lane and it's going t be easy to throw.. Makig it easier to stop? So myxr u mean to tell me, lighter flywheel has more inetria than a stock one? I thought removing weight (lowering inetria) would lower the resistance that the flywheel has to get moving ? Might wanna re check your logic there mate

A lighter flywheel will rev up and return to idle much quicker. IN NEUTRAL. or clutch in

where are the pictures ??

drilling 9 holes in the side of the flywheel will hardly do anything to the way your engine revs, i doubt you would feel/notice it.
but it possibly could be noticeable on a dyno, it might show up your power starting to climb 50-100 rpms? earlier in the revs on the graphs.

You loose so much bottom end lightening the fly wheel or with an IRK kit.

I hate IRK kit's with a passion. Worse mod I ever did to my old motovert.

I just drilled into they side of my original one, drilled about 9 holes and it is soo zippy and so much more accel! And seriously. ? Less inetria means its easier to slow the engine down! ? You have a bowling ball right. U roll it down the lane, takes a bit of effort to throw but once thrown it has momentum and would be hard to stop. Chuck say a tennis ball down the lane and it's going t be easy to throw.. Makig it easier to stop? So myxr u mean to tell me, lighter flywheel has more inetria than a stock one? I thought removing weight (lowering inetria) would lower the resistance that the flywheel has to get moving ? Might wanna re check your logic there mate

No Rizzo, My67XR is right. Less flywheel weight, less engine braking. You need to check your logic !!

What I have read about lightening Them is - that flywheels have stored energy witch could be put to the wheel, but instead of being put to the wheel it is used to keep the engine moving onward to the next compression stroke (a heavy flywheel) lightening them let's some of that energy (created by the engine, used by the flywheel ) be put to the wheel

So. You are telling me that A heavy flywheel is easier for a engine to slow down than a light one??

Dude, seriously ?? You don't ride a crankshaft, you ride a bike !! That inertia is being transmitted through a gearbox, through a drivetrain, thus providing the engine braking through to the tyres which contact the ground. Commonly known as engine braking. Is this so hard to understand ??

Wait, hang on a sec .....

know+it+all.jpg

Lol, if it makes the engine easier to stop/ stall then it is also easier turn over...

You may loose top speed because all that you could have done is unbalance it, thus it won't rev out as much. What engine you got? If you want more power try looking somewhere else.

Alifan 125, why wouldn't it rev out as much if it's unbalanced? Not tying to say you are wrong just would like to understand why.. And 'swapp' mate it's beig transmitted though a gearbox via a crankshaft so what is your point? Either way it defently feels like more engine braking is going on because my bike literally stops faster that it used to witout te 9-10 holes drilled and the length o the muffler... Besides that, the flywheel has lower inetria meaningless effort required to more it in the first place and less effort to slow it down? Obviously the flywheel dosnt come to a complete stop until you it the killswitch, but it sure as hell slows down!

Latest posts

Back