foolsp33ds' Z50 Overhauling... The Z project.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that site, dont love the $200 US minimum spend for international customers

Ouch.. always skipped that bit lol.. wondering on the exhaust now actually and how that should be...

this is BUDGET Overhaul lol.. not a full resto!

so far its cost $18.
and thats for spray paint...

push bike shop for bearings and races(hopefully, otherwise bearing co.) gotta be a poly bush that fits the rear swinger..someware..just got to measure and search.. being the ducar its what 6 or 12 volt? has elec start.. 'i feel so privilaged.. yet i know i should be ashamed..so very ashamed.. but meh.. Bright Lights :cool:

its a great project you got going foolsp33d

keep the pics coming..

thanks man.. it will soon becoming to a bit of a hault as everything gets left to cure and i hunt down some needed bits.. but hey, glad your enjoying it :)

thinking the wheels should be matt black rather than a gloss.. and the hubs possibly the same but with yellow and blue polkadots... maybe with sparkles.. and lil led lights on the valve caps.. and a honka horn on the handlebars that plays hucc-ucac-racha.....:rolleyes:

gloss black on the hubs in the future guys... :)

whats some peoples thoughts on exhaust routes? and maybe repadding the seat to something more.. not brick shaped..

I run my exhaust under the engine and beside the swinger but if you go that route make sure you have a bend at the muffler end to lift it. Muffler hitting the dirt aint fun lol.
Ducar engine should be a 6V
Ashamed? why? would you rather leave the bike to rust away with the origional engine not running or stick a china engine in it and be able to enjoy the bike (flarry and co take note)

04022008508.jpg

I like the look of a cut down seat.. almost 'cowled'...
04022008511.jpg
seatdone.jpg

04022008512.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good but i think the brake arm is upside down:p
Oh checked the stock forklegs i have, both heavly rusted and ones bent lol

Looks good but i think the brake arm is upside down:p
Oh checked the stock forklegs i have, both heavly rusted and ones bent lol

probably.. nothin is really done up or how it really should be otherwise there is also a screwdriver in the seat and no handlebars or front wheel! Argh! (no brake pads in them rims..as its all just sitting together so it can be pulled apart agan and have the bearings etc done. but ta

spew on the fork legs.. been looking at the crf ones and am wondering what the difference is.. the J seems to be within a bees noodle at 165mm on the top and at the base of the tripple while the stem length is about 175mm give or take..(correct me if im wrong please!) Wondering what others are.. ie crf/xr..
maybe a fork swap is in order.. then comes finding soemthing to fit price wise.. lol.. the list gets longer..nooooooo:(
tripple.jpg

04022008506.jpg

Last edited:
Im fairly confident that CRF forklegs will fit as they are basically the same fork design. Try 5-0 racing they should be able to give you some pointers:)

Last edited:
if it was my bike id keep it as close to original as i could but cheaply. lol

hey its original... but everyone goes original.. lets think ratbike :) has matching frame fork and swinger numbers to :) under the joseph costume... and the china heart... ;)

your z50

this is looking great !

fools put this up on monkey garage !

its gona scare u wen its finished ive dun the exact same thing with mine and flip it the minute i got it running

it scares me now its been over 6 months and i havnt touched it! nothin has changed, still chasing fork legs, bars, tyres, lil bits an pieces...the zook takes priority, then comes the 'toys' lol

Nice budget build, do you have the compliance plate?

I started out the same with mine, but.......$2k later and its ready for rego.

fothmshot-1.jpg

sml1118.jpg

Its a lifan 140 with a skyteam disc brake front end, 10" rims on stock hubs, 330mm rear shocks and a xr75 swingarm.

For cheap performance mods:

Forks - The crf50 triples and forks or any pitbike forks bolt straight up to the stem, however, the Z50 is all about the fat wheels and the crf50/pit bike forks are to narrow to run the Z50 weels. But the crf50 fork legs/springs all bolt up to the Z50 fork top tubes but are 1" longer. You can cut 1" off the fork legs (re drill the hole for the split pin to attach to the spring) to keep it stock height. The beauty of this is you can buy crf50 fork legs for about $20 when members upgrade to heavy duty items.

Swingarm - get a dual shock swingarm off a xr75/80, xl75, sl/xl70 swingarm (all the same)- Have to grind off 4mm off the inside where it mounts to the frame) cost me $30 and is 4" longer over stock.

Shocks - xr80 (dual shock) shocks to suit longer swingarm.

Wheels - If you want to run cheap 10" wheels you can use CT70 (DAX) wheels, they pretty much bolt straight up and will make use of the 1" longer crf50 legs and 4" longer swingarm.

Hope this helps, keep up the good work!

Great tips there mate! appreciated!! Just picked up a parts bike so have started the swapping and mix matching. It came with supposedly dead engine, which once filled with oil, and ignition, kicked over and started up no worries...so have a spare orig. 50 woo hoo!

SN850917.jpg

The fork legs on the 'spares' are nice and straight although i think the bushings or similar are gone as there is ALOT of forward backward movement in them. yet to strip them down but presuming its going to be broken plastic guide thingys.. (z owners you know what i mean right.. Help me out and name THAT bit!)

SN850919.jpg

Hoping to have this project at a running stage within a month or so..

some parts are available for sale so please PM me with what you are after and will see if its available.

Lucky you got a working honda original motor for it, its gonna turn out nice now!

oh it will still be getting the china motor, 50cc just aint enuf for me, im punished with a 1.3 litre in the zook so the least i can do it go a 'big block' in the Z'd! Might just stick the orig. donk in the spare frame and see what can be built up.. other wise its always good to have spares ;)

Bench Starting the Z'd motor and a quick slide show at the end, dont forget to leave a comment!!

Dodgy Bros, Z50 bench start.
YouTube - Bench starting a z50 engine. includes slideshow of Z'ds

Last edited:
oh it will still be getting the china motor, 50cc just aint enuf for me, im punished with a 1.3 litre in the zook so the least i can do it go a 'big block' in the Z'd! Might just stick the orig. donk in the spare frame and see what can be built up.. other wise its always good to have spares ;)

haha not cool, its sooo not a Z without a Z motor, but its your choice. if you really want more power you could just bore it, id rather that than putting a china in it.

exhaust is just off a china.

done some tinkering this weekend, reassembled most of the bike, still have to redo the front end(forks and guides) and am awaiting on a mate who is fabbing up a new triple clamp for the bars.

so its now a roller! Woo Hoo! the seat will be reupholstered, thinkin a lepord print..but will be basically sit where it is.(boom boom tish) carbie needs to be bolted up, fuel lines purchased, still need to get cables and levers, and swap the rear tyre for one with some tread.. rear guard bracket has been fabbed up and painted, found throttle assembly, bars need to be polished, tank painted, not to sure if I stick with the J tank or go for the steel R tank I have.. might do both, and mix n match between em!

so some pictures, nothin fancy, but you SHOULD be able to tell things are SLOWLY bein done!

still hunting down electrical bits, so if you got what is missing, send me a PM!

how my elecs look.
15112008089.jpg

rear wheel on
16112008099.jpg

exhaust
16112008100.jpg

bars(JUST SITTING THERE)
16112008103.jpg

so... What do ya all reckon now!??

Latest posts

Back