Fork bang?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo97

Reaction score
Got a pair of Forks off a cheap TDR on eBay and when I changed the oil in them there was a thick plastic kind of Washer below that big nut at the top of the tube and around the lock nut on the rod, but it was broken, soi chucked oThe of them away because I didn't want little bita plastic all through the new fork oil.. But the rod lifts up exactly 5mm above the spring that's around the rod? Should I adjust it so the spring is tighten there? Havnt changed anything else and when i went for a ride my font end felt like it was just f*****! Making big bang noise over bumps, jumps, ruff stuff ect but felt fine over smooth stuff I don't think the head stem is loose because I just tightened it backup before goin for that ride

Last edited:
If you mean the plastic spacer below your large nut on your dampening rod? *assuming you have upside down forks*
Yes you need to take up all the slack in the spring and i would do that immediately if you cant adjust the nut all the way down get alot of washers so when the fork, or the dampening rod is at full extension the spring never comes loose.

Also that crap can float around the forks and cause issues (if your old plastic parts disintegrated) blocking oil galleries for rebound and damping..

those crap plastic things pre load your spring in you forks giving them there strength if you like

you will need to pack them out and if you like pack them out more for a better feeling fork. well as good as you are gunna get out of cheap crap

those plastic rings that you found on top of the spring are usually broken off the plastic tube that helps to keep the spring central in the tube.
when the break the tube drops down inside the spring to the bottom
like this one-

you can make up some preload spacers and add in at the top of the spring.
make up a nylon/teflon, hard plastic spacer, something about 1/2" to 3/4" thick to fit on top of the spring and sit under the top fork cap retaining nut, it will slightly stiffen the spring and help to raise the front end a bit at the same time.

Can I just sit the spring under locknut and turn locknut down 5mm then turn the tube nut down onto it then tighten the locknut back onto the tube nut then release spring from under locknut ?

those plastic rings that you found on top of the spring are usually broken off the plastic tube that helps to keep the spring central in the tube.
when the break the tube drops down inside the spring to the bottom
like this one-

you can make up some preload spacers and add in at the top of the spring.
make up a nylon/teflon, hard plastic spacer, something about 1/2" to 3/4" thick to fit on top of the spring and sit under the top fork cap retaining nut, it will slightly stiffen the spring and help to raise the front end a bit at the same time.

Can I do this with a pair of forks that don't need this (already have metal spacers) but are just short?

Can I just sit the spring under locknut and turn locknut down 5mm then turn the tube nut down onto it then tighten the locknut back onto the tube nut then release spring from under locknut ?

what the ? lol

they are made of nylon/teflon so they don't knock when your forks move up and down, and top out etc
i have used plastic seat runner spacers from a 70's Ford Falcon in there before and they worked fine.
this is one here, you can get them twice as thick too

space__63835_zoom.jpg

I fixed them with something just like that my brother found in the shed but metal, isit okay that they're metal? but one makes a slooshing noise sounds like air idk, what would that be?

might be one of the ports are blocked or semi blocked in the stanchions ?

How could I unblock it? And could it be lack of oil? Think I may have put about 50ml lessin that the other one

Still bit clangy over jumps and especially smaller bumps, had a decent stack yesterday and the forks got moved in the triple clamps because the top of them dont fit the top clamp I hve put duct tape and slayer of mesh inbeteween for grip. But they still want t move? Wat could I use to make them fit better and not get moved when I stack? My old forks never did this because the fit the clamps

And how do I get the clangy-ness out of these forks? Is it because the sping has to much preload? And is rebounding to hard? Can't remember why my brothers forks ( my old ones ) did this clang-ing when I serviced them, I fixed them i just can't remember how :confused-smiley-014

How could I unblock it?
And could it be lack of oil?
i think I may have put about 50ml less oil in that the other one
pull them out and apart again then clean them out with degreaser, blow some compressed air through the ports etc before replacing the oil.
what weight oil did you use, and how many mls in each fork ?

I have put duct tape and layer of mesh in between for grip. But they still want to move?

you might want to go on the MacGyver Forums and ask why it didn't work.... lol

What could I use to make them fit better, and not get moved when I stack?
My old forks never did this because the fit the clamps
i reckon you have just answered your own question there ^^
Buy the correct tripples to suit the clamps

And how do I get the clangy-ness out of these forks?
have you checked on the bottom of them that the end cap bolts are tight ?

Last edited:
They are usd forks so they would be on they top right? I did forget to tighten them nice I the forks, can't get en good and tight with forkoil all over your hands lol could be the problem, 240ml in each of them I think.. 24 x 10ml syringe, and that's more than what was in them, il re cheak the head steam to seein that's what's causing it

What are triples? Always thought they were the clamps ?? Triple clamps ? Clamps both forks and clamps onto head stem? Or am i taking crazy piills :action-smiley-003:

yes the tripple clamps hold the forks to the frame/headset
they are called tripple clamps because they hold the fork tubes at the top of the forks, the tube just below that, and they hold the 2x clamps to the frame

the handlebar's use seperate clamps too, as you'd know

I've had a good long think about these forks.. When I pick my bike up and drop it I hear the Noise I am not liking, it's just the back end makin a bit of a clang ., i think it is more over smaller bumps and stuff because my forks are chopperd out (on a angle) would that mean they are having trouble absorbing them and the rear shock is absorbing it all. ? And dose 240ml sound okay ? They're cheap forks Ike I said.. So may not have come with a great deal of oil in the in the first place :s

Latest posts

Back