Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xLOCOx

Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
gday lasses and lads
i want to dump out the old "liquid" out of the forks but (theres always a but) im having trouble getting into them pulled one out of their clamp and tried for about 10mins busting my gut on the topend!! -__- so i figured i could open em from the bottom end
i got that end off, but there was a it looked like a pressed cap on the end of the leg... so i didnt bother with them and placed them back in the clamp..
soo can i crack the top screw/nut while its in the triple clamp?

yea, but theres a good chance you'll get oil on ya bike, with is never a good thing.
with taking the forks out of the clamps, did you take the front whhel, front brake caliper off? also make sure to put the bike up on a stand to lift the front end up, that'll make it a hell of a lot easier.
are you going to do the seals at the same time? its a good isea to, unless yours are still ok.

im thinking maxima oil, or motul, ill get one from work ...what would best suit a 55kg rider 3wt,5wt,7wt and ect
would the 7wt maxima stuff be good?
and would i just put 200ml in each leg?

yeah blender i had the bike up on a stand and took the wheel and caliper off..
and i the seals are perfect!
i was thinking just crack the bolt in the clamp so it acts like a vice.. and then taking them of the clamps to empty the fork

im thinking maxima oil, or motul, ill get one from work ...what would best suit a 55kg rider 3wt,5wt,7wt and ect
would the 7wt maxima stuff be good?
and would i just put 200ml in each leg?

with oil, im not really sure wat wieght would suit you, but you can remove oil to make them softer, and add some to make them harder.

yeah blender i had the bike up on a stand and took the wheel and caliper off..
and i the seals are perfect!
i was thinking just crack the bolt in the clamp so it acts like a vice.. and then taking them of the clamps to empty the fork

i see, i thought you were going to the whole oil change while they were in the clamps, cos that'd be pretty hard to do! lol....

but yeah its fine to un-do it a little bit in there, it'd be alot easier :)

loosen the top clamp of the tripples, the bottom one should hold the fork leg in

gday lasses and lads
i want to dump out the old "liquid" out of the forks but (theres always a but) im having trouble getting into them pulled one out of their clamp and tried for about 10mins busting my gut on the topend!! -__- so i figured i could open em from the bottom end
i got that end off, but there was a it looked like a pressed cap on the end of the leg... so i didnt bother with them and placed them back in the clamp..
soo can i crack the top screw/nut while its in the triple clamp?
There upside down forks yeah?
What you need to do is remove the dust seal (screwdriver flathead) DO NOT SCRATCH THE INNER FORK LEG..
Under that there will be a clip, get that out with a screwdriver (look out its a bit hard and like to fly away so a rag over the top is advisable)..
and then you need to undo your top cap anyway to get the upper rod of the dampner detatched..

Then put your forks upside down (your springs, plastic spacers and a washer or two will come out keep them in order) and oil of cause and put them in a vice (for freek sake put a rag around them and be gentle as possible (only clamping the upper tube not the lower chromed one) or if you dont have a vice then pull the two fork halves apart really hard (ensuring you have the bottom dampner rod bolt out and the fork seal clip as described above) and be rough because your pushing the old seal out so it takes a fair few decent pulls then thunk they will come apart..

if you have any more problems or questions feel free to ask hopefully i have time to reply..
to just dump the oil take the top cap off and put it upside down (after pulling the sprigs out and pump it over a bucket)
However it takes forever to get all the oil out and i like to pull them apart, then pull the dampner apart and inspect the whole fork and clean it all out with brake cleaner, aka fastdry.

is that stuff in the measuring cup your old oil?? you'd wanna hope so! :p
What weight did you end up putting in?

Thats some nice pics right there :) see what i mean by the need to pull them apart

yeah blender oops... NAh its the OLD OIL in both containers.. i ended up using 7wt race fork oil! ....Maxima
the new stuff was BLUE!!

haha yeah, that'd be hilarious if you put old oil in LOL! And +reps for telling us what oil and weight u used, we're anround the same wieght, and im pretty sure you have the same length forks as me, so now i know what weight and howw much oil to put in my new forks! lol

i mean its silky smooth and feels a bit more responsive personally.. but if you reckon its to soft make it 250ml in each leg...
thanks man..
also i think for 1 liter of maxima 125/150 or 7wt RACING FORK FLUID its about $25
tbh i dind even messure what came out of the forks :p but they looked VERY uneven!!

btw when you pour the good stuff in pour like 50ml at a time.. so it dosent overflow on ya!

Last edited:
yeah, its surprising what a simple oil change can do to the action of your forks.
cheers, i'll probably get some for my new forks!
well thats a pretty good estimate of 215ml good job!
And did you end up buying those tri clamps from roost666?
cheers,
jack

Latest posts

Back