Friends pitbike wont spark

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potsmoker420

Reaction score
So i whent over to my mates house yesterday and he had a pitbike sitting there he said he hadnt ridden it in almost a year cause it wasnt working so i ofered to fix it for him pulled the carb apart cleaned everything pushed it to the petrol station started 3rd kick but the next day we tried starting it and nothing happened than we tested the spark with a brand new spark plug still nothing also theres barley no compression when u kick it over before it was like clung clung clung now u can just kick it over with no effort now that i think about it it feels like the clutch is a bit stuck so thats why there could be no compression if the clutch is stuck abit could that be the reason for it getting no spark?

Usally the coils burn out on these things,

or just burn it & have your self a nice blaze :)

We just did a few threads on similar subjects LOL ...

If the clutch lever is on the front of the engine then it relies on the clutch being in good shape for the kick starter to turn the crank over ...

Check valve clearances ...

Check carb for missing parts , dirt , water , bugs such as wasp nests etc ...

An engine that has been "Sitting for a while" can also cop sticky valves in the guides with various end results ... ie Valve goes down , stays down , him gets bent by the piston , cylinder then have no compressions ...

Clean the entire ignition system up ... stator , rotor , wire connections all over the entire bike ... check for breaks or shorts etc ... Then if all else fails ... Start getting individual parts tested for function ... Or simply buy a complete new ignition system ... they're cheap enough ...

Last edited:
We just did a few threads on similar subjects LOL ...

If the clutch lever is on the front of the engine then it relies on the clutch being in good shape for the kick starter to turn the crank over ...

Check valve clearances ...

Check carb for missing parts , dirt , water , bugs such as wasp nests etc ...

An engine that has been "Sitting for a while" can also cop sticky valves in the guides with various end results ... ie Valve goes down , stays down , him gets bent by the piston , cylinder then have no compressions ...

Clean the entire ignition system up ... stator , rotor , wire connections all over the entire bike ... check for breaks or shorts etc ... Then if all else fails ... Start getting individual parts tested for function ... Or simply buy a complete new ignition system ... they're cheap enough ...

Yeh were just going to buy a new spark lead new cdi the bike was actually in good condition cause he kept it in his shed the carb was clean but still cleaned the jets we cleaned the tap thing on the tank so the carb is perfect just not getting any spark at all i think it could have something to do with the low compression but idk will clean the stator and all that this weekend

Yeah on those bikes the clutch can slip making it seem like the engine is down on compression ...

Compression won't affect the spark at the plug whatsoever ...

I hope you get it going without the need to go spending cash but IF you can't ...

You can buy these parts cheap from DHZ ... And they'll look after you if anything goes wrong ...

eBay Seller: dhzdirect: Cars, Bikes, Boats items on eBay Australia

NEW STATOR & MAGNETO,SEALS LIFAN DUCAR 110CC 125CC (eBay item 330462886368 end time 18-Dec-10 18:24:19 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

This guy's even cheaper ... Very good deal ... But make sure you look at your parts and match them to the right ones as he's got several different coils listed ... (A little more than the price of a deal) ...

Pit bike trail pro,Dirt CDI,COIL,SPARK PLUG 50 to 125cc (eBay item 220700387543 end time 22-Dec-10 20:43:56 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Pit bike trail pro,Dirt CDI,COIL,SPARK PLUG 50 to 125cc (eBay item 320620809153 end time 22-Dec-10 20:41:39 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

eBay Seller: killer68monaro: Cars, Bikes, Boats items on eBay Australia

Last edited:
if the clutch is slipping it will effect spark cause the crank wont turn fast enough or at all..
but with the spark plug removed you'd think you'd at least get something since theres not much resistance in the bore with the plug out. but weirder things have happened..

i would be doing as follows..

disconnect the clutch cable, and hold the cable up and use thin oil like transmission oil to lube the cable.
make sure there is free play on the clutch lever at the engine (about 3mm is heaps)
id even take off the small little cover on the clutch cover and give the clutch fork and shaft a good oil. (this is where you adjust to get free play in the lever)
check and adjust the valve clearance.

double check the oil level and oil condition.

give it a kick and check for spark..

if the clutch is slipping it will effect spark cause the crank wont turn fast enough or at all..
but with the spark plug removed you'd think you'd at least get something since theres not much resistance in the bore with the plug out. but weirder things have happened..

i would be doing as follows..

disconnect the clutch cable, and hold the cable up and use thin oil like transmission oil to lube the cable.
make sure there is free play on the clutch lever at the engine (about 3mm is heaps)
id even take off the small little cover on the clutch cover and give the clutch fork and shaft a good oil. (this is where you adjust to get free play in the lever)
check and adjust the valve clearance.

double check the oil level and oil condition.

give it a kick and check for spark..

Yeah thats what i was thinking but i mean it feels like it atleast has enough compression to start it

friends bike has run out of sparks? just pour one of these in the tank, gives it that "new Bike" kick.

Sparks-Plus-can.jpg

Latest posts

Back