front brakes

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettLo

Reaction score
hey all just got an urgent question as i want to order the parts tonight so there arrived by the weekend (if parts are required) well what happened was , i took the front wheel off my bike, (got a flat) and when i was chatting to a mate and not realising what i was doing. i was squeezing my front brakes in and out. and then realised 'oh i cant get my wheel back on' hahaha my brakes are closed right up, as to be expected haha ! and so i realised some fluid from my front brakes using the realise valve on the caliper. put my front wheel back on. so why i was messing with the brakes i thought its a good idea to top up the fluid why im goin (still had the original china fluid in them) but now my piston in my front caliper isnt closing when i try to bleed my brakes :mad: so just wondering if the front caliper is stuffed ? and another thing when tryin to problem solve it , i thought if i disconnect the brake line at the caliper and pump my front brake fluid should pump out of the brake line at the caliper end ? but still no success with that so im having problems working out if its the master cylinder or the piston in the caliper ?..but when i connect the line back to the caliper, and attempt to bleed my brakes again , fluid starts coming through reasonably well. i even checked my brake line for blockages etc. all seems good. so just wanting some suggestions to what might be goin on. cos if i need parts id like to order them tonight to have them by the weekend for some riding :)

cheers
bretto :D

it's just a bit hard to understand what you're having trouble with.
so you bled you're brakes and now they don't work?
or
you can't bleed your brakes because the fluid won't flow through?
or
when you pump the brake lever, the caliper doesn't react?

maybe it's just me but reading your first post just left me thinking wtf

ok I read your post again,
it looks like you don't have fluid going all the way from the reservoir to the caliper, meaning you have air bubbles in the brake line, make sure you run fluid through without letting the reservoir empty until the brake lever makes the piston pump

when you pull your brake lever is there a good resistance or it just pulls all the way in?

the problem is theres air in the line. you just need to give it short pumps until the air is out of the line. take your master cylinder cover off then pump the lever and shake the brake line to try release the air. when i done mine the only way to get air out was by moving the lever in very lightly. it take ages to do so just be patient hope this helps

it's just a bit hard to understand what you're having trouble with.
so you bled you're brakes and now they don't work?
or
you can't bleed your brakes because the fluid won't flow through?
or
when you pump the brake lever, the caliper doesn't react?

maybe it's just me but reading your first post just left me thinking wtf

hey , thanks for your reply. yer i was like wtf after reading my first post also haha sorry again about that :) . yea i bled my brakes , but i keep pulling the lever in and when i do its not getting any harder , it just pulls all the way to my bars with no problem at all i could do it with one finger if i tried its way to soft. and yer the caliper doesnt seem to react at all. i have kept topping up the reservoir whilst doing it. still not working. i will have to give it another go after work tomorrow when i have more time. maybe i just wasnt being patient enough ? tomorrow i will also attempt what rossetti said and just be patient and keep trying for ages and shake the line etc. but i did work on it for about 20 minutes but still didnt do to well , the caliper doesnt seem to be pushing the brake pads in any closer to the disc at all :(

Last edited:
another trick to get air out of the line is to lift the caliper up above the lever while you pump fluid through to help the air find it's way out.
have a look on utube, there's quite a few tutorial's for bleeding brakes and flushing air out, there's even a video made by a member of miniriders

another trick to get air out of the line is to lift the caliper up above the lever while you pump fluid through to help the air find it's way out.
have a look on utube, there's quite a few tutorial's for bleeding brakes and flushing air out, there's even a video made by a member of miniriders

yer sweet as , i tried it with the caliper off , but still didnt help. but i didnt try it , by lifting it up above the leaver so ill give that a crack tomorrow. yer i watched the tutorial that masterspoon made, i did watch that last night to get more of an idea about it before i done it. but ill watch it again now just incase i forgot/missed something. once i try again tomorrow afternoon ill keep u posted with what goes on ? :D

well basically you just gotta keep doing what masterspoon said until it's back to normal, you should be able to see air bubbles coming out of the caliper into the drain tube
remember to pull the brake lever very gently so it doesn't splash

ok just an update for you :) what happen was i had not pumped enough fluid through all the line. So it was still full of air, my fault of course. Havent played around with brakes for awhile. So got it all sorted by simply pumping the lever and topping up with fluid until it got all the way down to the caliper and started to work again. Haha very simple but yet so dumb of me. Lol so just wanted to keep you updated and thank you for all your help ! Cheers

be thankful it doesnt have twin discs...

reason for lifting the caliper above the lever is cause air rises in a liquid...and the master cylinder, if empty, can be a bitch to prime.... get that air up into the caliper...

leave the nipple just on tight, start pulling in lever slow, and then open the nipple, closing it again as the lever nears the end of the stroke...

my old kawa 750 had...5 bleed nipples on the front...that sucked:( one each caliper, one on each fork for the "anti-dive" system, then on at the top of the forks where the single hose spit into two...

other thing, hold your caliper so the nipple is at the top! right at the top, else you get a tiny lil air bubble trapped in there:(

Latest posts

Back