Fuel pouring out of my carb, Mikuni 22 / 26mm copy

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyGirl

Reaction score
Hello Tech Masters! I need some help. I installed my brand new Lifan 125cc engine into my bike yesterday and when I turn on the gas it flows right out of the carb drain and the air intake. The carb is a brand new, out of the box, Mikuni 26mm. I didn't adjust anything on the carb, simply because I don't know anything about carbs. Did I buy the wrong carb?

nah, the carby should be fine.
it might have something stuck in the needle and seat ? (fuel inlet valve)
do you have a fuel filter between the fuel tap and tank ?
do you have new fuel hoses?

turn the tap off at the tank, remove the carby and turn it upside down.
take the 4 screws out that hold the fuel bowl to the base of the carby and lift it off.
there is a rubber seal in the mounting face of the carby, dry it off asap so it doesn't swell with the fuel.

you will see the floats that pivot on a pin , push the pin out and lift the floats up and off the carby
it will lift the needle valve out of it's seat, slide the needle off the tab on the float and have a look at the rubber end on it.
if there is a tiny spot of dirt/rubber etc on the tip of the needle it could stop the needle sealing into the seat and will flood the carby.

the needle and seat is to the left of centre in this pic,
it sit's against the adjustment tab of the float

now look into the brass seat in the base of the carby and check that there isn't any dirt/rubber etc there.
blow some compressed air through the post and make sure it's clear

Carb%20FloatValveP-1.jpg

sit the needle back over the tab on the float, and put it over the seat and lower it in.
now refit the pin and turn the carby up the right way
you can refit the fuel hose and turn the tap on to check if it is sealing closed
fuel should flow out, and if you lift the float up s bit it should stop the fuel.

if it is ok now, you can refit the fuel bowl, and refit the carby.

Last edited:
Normally its a float level drama if its coming out the air filter to.

Apparently there was pieces of Styrofoam in the bowl causing all the problems. I have no idea how Styrofoam could even get in there in the first place tho? Thank you guys for all your help!

Latest posts

Back