GasGas FSR515 2008

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
Hey, some of you may know that I have got myself a new bike. I need some help trying to find parts, I have contacted the dealer and they can get parts for me but they are asking a lot of money for them. So does anyone know where to find parts for these, I need a piston kit, 2 base gaskets and a head gasket and if other associated gaskets and seals came in the kit it would be good too.

I reckon the piston has just started to grab on the cylinder as the kick starter is a little tight without the spark plug in....

Cheers fellas any help is much appreciated.

most of the Piston kits i have seen for them are up around $200, Wossner etc

i'll pm you my machinists phone number, he may be able to recommend a piston for you, or could get one in for you.
tell him Craig with the IT200, and PW50 sent you.
he is a top bloke and really knows his stuff, his prices are very good too.

Yeah looks like the same bike different wheels. Yeah I have sent Scott a email but no reply yet.
Hey thanks craig, I think I'll have to give him a call then sounds like he could help me out.

Cheers guys, think I'll take it to work tomorrow and pull it apart to see what I need, I'll keep you all posted

So stripped the engine down today, found where it was leaking past the head gasket, but upon inspection of the barrel I have found a CRACK!
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/artmar_creations/14738666998/player/" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
I can see the bill nearly triple already:(

is it a 100mm bore ?
Ford Cleveland's have a 4" bore, i used to have .250" thick sleeve's in my old block

but ring Dave, he'll sort you out
i'm pretty sure he said it'd cost around $280 for him to make and fit a new liner for my Zongshen 160, whatever bore size i wanted.

New bore and piston kit is $1200 not including postage, haven't had much to do with this electrolysis, will look into it.
Will also give Dave a call now that I know what I need. Gasgas said it is a coated bore so it can not be bored out. It does not look like a sleeved barrel. Will measure it up on Monday when I'm back at work.

New bore and piston kit is $1200 not including postage, haven't had much to do with this electrolysis, will look into it.
Will also give Dave a call now that I know what I need. Gasgas said it is a coated bore so it can not be bored out. It does not look like a sleeved barrel. Will measure it up on Monday when I'm back at work.
However they can find a similar size sleeve, completely bore out the cylinder to the waterjackets (assuming its a thick sleeve) and then press fit it in) Or do something like that or just 3mm larger or something outer diameter with a lip at the top the crack will be almost not a problem because the new sleeve will not even be phased by it

that's what i was suggesting above, but didn't explain myself well enough.

you can get sleeves in .090", .125" or .250" for clevelands, the thicker one was the best
Dave might know where to get a new sleeve from, if not he can make them from a chunk of steel.
he'll machine it up and fit it so it's all ready to be bolted back on.

i saw an old 750cc tripple engine he had made a sleeve for, i think the guy dropped a rod or something from memory.
but Daves' work on it saved the guy from needing to replace it, he mentioned they were quite hard to find too.

That's a thought, maybe this Dave guy could do that for me?
How's your 426 coming, don't think I have any updates for a little while?
No money :p Just sitting and waiting.. Thats why im playing with the pitty for now lol
She needs 1500 worth of parts + a tank,seat All that will be easily achievable when i do some full time work of cause :)

The best thing about sleeves is theres one out there for everything its just a matter of searching or asking someone who is in the know and can be quite easily modified if its not plated etc..

I really did look into one for the wr, but worked out i get a chromed sleeve for 150, get it installed $100 im down $250 and then i don't have nikasil or a good idea of how many hrs i will get to it.. so i am opting to go the new one (300) Doing similar with the crank just because labor is so expensive over here and mine has a small nick on the oil sealing area that i don't want to use.. (+ labor again + a new rod + the chunkie looking marks + cam chain sprocket wear) or another 300 in a brand new, just install no problems one :p
I should update it with the plans etc..

I guess the upside of having a sleeve is you can get 2 or so sitting at home and press them out when needed and hone them to size with out many issues unlike a nikasil..

The only problem with the crack too is if you get a sleeve all ready for fitting it has to be quite tight eg a 5thou interface or whatever the machinist call it so there may be a risk of creating a larger crack.. However i doubt this and i would heat the cylinder up in the oven and press it in anyway..

haven't had much to do with this electrolysis, will look into it.
What you need to know..: IN aus it costs 450 to get re-plated. in america it costs 200.. send it over there your down 400..
It does not get honed by a ball hone. dont touch it.
It is stronger than any other bore surface.
You dent it you need it re-welded then re-coated
Its much less likely to flake off like chromalloy

Its also very good for making power, is much stronger than say.. your piston and if you dont let the coatings etc wear off your pistons some say it lasts forever so to speak..

So would recoating it fill in the crack?
Pretty sure they would need to strip it back and weld.. Then re-coat.. not 100% though
I cant see the crack too well in the photos.. all i can see is tears down the bore from cooking rings

Yeah it there, it crosses over those vertical lines. Anyway been reeding up and found this website...
Electroplating Melbourne | Cylinder Repair | Chrome Plating Alternative | Electrosil Melbourne, Australia'
Is this what you were thinking of? My impression from them is that they TIG weld the crack, then bore the cylinder to fit the new piston and then nikasil (electrocil) the cylinder to give its coating.
I have sent them an email for a quote, they claim it to be half the price of a OEM cylinder worth about $800.
So hopefully it is around the $400 mark (like you siad it would zwebx) + $200 (for piston kit) total $600 and that is a whole lot better then $1200
Will update ya's on my progress, cheers guys.

Yeah it there, it crosses over those vertical lines. Anyway been reeding up and found this website...
Electroplating Melbourne | Cylinder Repair | Chrome Plating Alternative | Electrosil Melbourne, Australia'
Is this what you were thinking of? My impression from them is that they TIG weld the crack, then bore the cylinder to fit the new piston and then nikasil (electrocil) the cylinder to give its coating.
I have sent them an email for a quote, they claim it to be half the price of a OEM cylinder worth about $800.
So hopefully it is around the $400 mark (like you siad it would zwebx) + $200 (for piston kit) total $600 and that is a whole lot better then $1200
Will update ya's on my progress, cheers guys.
Well my wr 426 bore was quoted at like $450 with only a strip and re-coat..

send it too america if you dont want to go down the sleeved route I see some of them did a piston and rings + recoated bore for 400.. +100 shipping either way it may be cheaper than electrosil..
Thats the only people i know do electrosil in aus.. cant find anywhere else.. and they charge for it :p

Yeah just looked into what the states can do and have sent some emails their way aswell. Heaps cheaper over there isn't it. $200 for a re-coat and $30 ish to weld and machine + $100 postge both way or $200 insured postage both ways. So maybe $330ish
Thats almost $1000 cheaper than a new barrel. Will still chat to Dave though Craig and see what his thoughts are on this.

Latest posts

Back