Gear selecting problems yx160

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyFork

Reaction score
I'm having troubles shifting gears. I had my bike sitting for a few months and when I went to start it up and take it for a fang the gear leaver was jammed up. Pulled side cover off and hit shift drum around. I put it back to geather and only got 1st and 2nd. Pulled it apart again and managed to get it shifting. Put back together to it for 3 hour ride all good. Bikes been sitting for a month or so now gears sticking again. WTF! Any one know what I should do I don't really want to break the case down but if I have too I will I don't know much about the bottom end and been searching for info but it's bits and pieces. I carnt find a manual or exploded view either. Do yx have problems on the shift drum or fork? What should I do?

hmm.. i think it may be either the selector fork or the clutch is sticking
my yx160 was doing something weird too... i would do a slight jump at my mates mx track and i was in 3rd and when i landed it acted if it was in N wtf ,and all of a sudden it would stall out on me...

what do you mean by pulled the side cover off and hit the shift drum around ?

has the bike been dropped and hit the gear lever at all ?

Bikes never been dropped on the lever and I'm thinking that may not be the problem I was hitting the shift drum around with a hammer and hard plastic pick. I remover that it did free up when I undone the screw on the shift drum with an impact driver, that barstard was tight!

might be time to pull it down and check the drum/forks and gears out, and shim up the gearbox too.

Thought I may have to do that. What do you mean by shim up the gear box? I here this a bit, this will be my first time pulling a bottom end apart

Thought I may have to do that. What do you mean by shim up the gear box? I here this a bit, this will be my first time pulling a bottom end apart
when you shift gears you need to push your shift forks to the left and right, so when shims are warn and the shafts have too much freeplay ( a bit is okay) then it is hard/impossible to shift

Ok thanks for the replies. I got the motor out today and played with the shift drum and got it too free up but I'm not sure it won't do it again. So I'm gunna split the case I'm thinking of doing a video so you can all see what I do and what needs to be done. I'm flying in the dark with this one but happy to give it a go and learn something. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated so don't be shy to post something on this thread. Any one know of any info about doing the gearbox like videos diagrams?

Ok this is where I'm at! I'm going to tar it down so I'm at this stage (pics) the case is starting to split at the back will just using a rubber mallet softly but the front half ain't splitting I don't want to force it too much incase something breaks. Is there anything more I goto take off? I find I need a new left hand side case as you will see, bloody more money, anyone got one they want to part with?

Last edited:
You have a bit to go yet. At the kicker shaft see those 2 x 10 mm bolts, take those and the plate off. Next is the shift mechanism, undo the 5mm Allen key bolt on the left just above the counter shaft, take that off. Now pull out the shift mechanism/ selector. Last thing is see the castle but on the end of the crank with the 2 gears on it, that has to come off as well, same way the clutch nut came off, same tool used. You can take off the oil pump too if you want, those 3 Phillips head screws. Now the case will come apart.

Thanks did all that and I had 1 bolt near the front of the case still in. Came apart easy! Now to inspect what's going on which I will do tommoro. Keep you's up dated

I took the engine down to me mates to have a look at it. He is a fitter and turner who works on large machinery and fixs gear boxes on them. He would have a better idea then me what's wrong. I pick it up tommoro and see what he says. He had a quick look when I dropped it off and he said there's nothing he can see wrong but he'd inspect it further over the weekend. I hope he's found something I don't won't to put it back together and is stops shifting again!

Latest posts

Back