Give a little, Take a little

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHZ_XR8cing

Master Spanner Spinner
Reaction score
I have learned a wealth of knowledge from the members from this site over the short time I have been a member here and also have had to figure a lot out for myself which has caused many a head ache and sometimes heartache.
I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread that everyone can read through and pick up a little hint or tip they might not of known about or thought about.
Keep it bike or riding related but can spread out beyond just the bike itself.
If you find something on here that helps you or you never thought about add your own hint or tip to help others.

Ill start off and Ill keep it simple.

When using and angled uni filter have the filter element pointing down. This prevents water and mud from running down the element into the carbie.

Always oil your air filter and wash after every couple of rides if not every ride, and adjust your chain correctly two fingers high of the chain slider is a good adjustment in most instances.

Lock tight the bolts holding the chain guide in other wise it will rattle off and tangle in the chain causing the back wheel to lock while riding. (not fun)

a regular service is always a good thing to do and very easy to do

Lock tight the bolts holding the chain guide in other wise it will rattle off and tangle in the chain causing the back wheel to lock while riding. (not fun)

had that before.. not fun

always kick from TDC (top dead center) and always service it (valves, chain, clean carby, clean oiled filter, spokes, all bolts tightened)

Locktite disc bolts. They will come lose eventually because of the heating and cooling loosens them off.

Use Nylocks nuts on your sprocket bolts to prevent a hub being destroyed from coming loose

Grease the brake caliper rods that the caliper slides on when being engaged.

Thats a great 1 mick. Empty ya inbox popular dude.

Change brake fluid when your brakes feel spongy and not as effective as they once did. You will find water has made its way into the system and water commpress' much easier than brake fluid.

its easier to replace a cracked helmet than it is to replace a cracked head

this one will everyone should no.
DONT FORGET TO TURN YOUR FUEL ON :p

Cover your air filter with a plastic bag, the ones from the supermarket you out your veges in, when washing your bike, saves it getting drowned and water ending up in your carby. that angling the filter downwards is a great tip too.

if you have the old kill switches remember to click it on the "run" position so the bike will start >-<...

Drain your carby after each ride, incase you don't ride for a while and it gums up.

When removing wheels jam a thick piece of cardboard (or anything you can find of the same thickness) in between the brake pads to stop them jamming together (especially when mates are over and like playing with your levers....) and becoming a PITA to put back on the disc when re-mounting.

use a jar or small container to hold the nuts and bolts when you pulling any apart, that way you never end up with a missing bolt....

If your not sure how to take something apart and or it's your first time, use your camera lots (i can pretty saftely assume everybody now has a camera on thier phone) every step of the way, that way you can see how it looked b4 you made this giant pile of bits (then in theory, put it back to the way it looked before) :) This has saved me many a time

Dont have your throttle adjusted to low on your carby, this can cause a deadspot or flatspot while trying to go from idle to Wide Open Throttle, turn it up a bit at the carby if so and see.

Latest posts

Back