going rate for a z50?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash.onmtb

Reaction score
A mate has an early 80's genuine z50 that he rolls around on with his kids, and recently having a kid of my own, I'm keen to get my hands on one also! Like most things I end up buying, I'm sure it will end up being a full teardown/rebuild, so I'm happy if it needs a bit of work, but what sort of $$ are these things going for lately??

Or are there other options out there? Happy to mod up a china to make it reliable, but figure that there is heaps more backup/spares etc for a genuine.

Thanks for your help.

a perfect k2 2 - 3 grand i see on ebay and whatnot
a R perfect restored condition... 1,500 sometimes but there not worth as much as the ones with adr approval
Heaps of parts everywhere, you done a google search lately?

it will prolly never need a bottom end re-build untill the yr 3000 lol just seals and whatnot and a new piston and rings and mayby new valves every now and again lol

chasing something more like this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-Z5...7835146?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item2ec7a2dd8a -I'm assuming I'm wrong to call what I want a z50? Trying to learn the models atm.

(disregarding the price...)

Having done up a china 140 into something that doesn't seem to break too often, I'm wondering if I'm better to go china rather than genuine in terms of value for money. After all, its a kid (and pissed blokes invariably) bike...

*scratches head*

Thank for the links.

140's have some bite to them how old is your kid and his experience
maybe a cheap 125 or somthing (not a gpx ) there dirt cheap usually and dont have intimidating power but enough to keep him/her entertained for a little while and if its in good nik afterwards sell it for a 1/2 decent resale and buy him/her a bigger bike.. or maybe even a kx 80

lol, sorry you misunderstood me.. I've got the 140, and he'd have to be 15 to get anywhere near that without killing himself I reckon. Its claimed some victims... The kid himself is about 2 weeks old... So I'm thinking a 125 might be a little excessive, lets start at a 50 eh? :)

And in the picture, that would be an R or a J?

ohh, i just assumed your kid was 6 - 8 yrs as alot of people wait for before they get them a bike i rekon even a 2hand 50 or a cheap atomik 50 will be better bang for your buck than buying a used crf or a z50 because there so expensive and the z50s are collectable now so there prices are being driven up
in what picture mate? in the ebay auction you posted it is a r

have you considered a PW50 ?
check out my PW thread, link in my signature

theres a few on monkeybikeoz.com.au at the moment for sale, one 1250 and another 1500, might sound exxy but they both have compliance so they can be rego'd and rego for a 50 is only like 100 a year in vic. Better warn you, if you get one you wont wanna hand it over to your kid, too much fun

whats the differences between the 3 - lets say PW50, Z50 and 50China?

Saw an atomik go off for $255 on ebay last night, but there would be a lot to do in my mind to make it reliable, as they seem to be the knock off of knock offs... I've only got my PP 140 to go off, but I feel like I've pretty much replaced the entire bike, and its still a bit fickle. So an Atomik might be a little too frustrating for me...?!

whats the differences between the 3 - lets say PW50, Z50 and 50China?

Saw an atomik go off for $255 on ebay last night, but there would be a lot to do in my mind to make it reliable, as they seem to be the knock off of knock offs... I've only got my PP 140 to go off, but I feel like I've pretty much replaced the entire bike, and its still a bit fickle. So an Atomik might be a little too frustrating for me...?!
what do you think you would have to change? maybe the tires if your doing alot of mud

'reliable' - that means starting every time you want to use it, something I'm yet to see possible with a stock china... And then all the cheap castings cracking, stripping, breaking as the big kids use it as well... I'm just a bit wary of them after my last experience, maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised...?

'reliable' - that means starting every time you want to use it, something I'm yet to see possible with a stock china... And then all the cheap castings cracking, stripping, breaking as the big kids use it as well... I'm just a bit wary of them after my last experience, maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised...?

it depends what your doing on them.. but it should be able to handle a bit of abuse from larger children (such as your drunk mates) im not sure what quality your 140 is but it must have been shi# for all that to happen and for you to expect it

pitpro 140 - maybe my standards are too high... Any ridden 140 ish china seems to suffer from all the same problems, the usual (stickied) fixes resolve the issues, but its just an added expense.

Shearer - thats the one! And I wouldn't mind your track to go with it ;)

I know how quiet a z50r is, anyone know how it would compare to lets say a pitpro 50 for example? Are they much louder? Wonder if I could repack the muffler to reduce the noise even more, after all I'm not chasing top end...!

i have bikes with the same pipe i would say its very close to the crf 50... maybe a little louder but not wnough to annoy your neibours... look at the bore of the pipe there tiny

to quieten the bikes down, it is easy enough to slip the muffler off the pipe, then fit a smaller i/d washer into the muffler flange, then bolt the pipe/muffler back on.
this can drop quite a few DB's and be hardly noticable when running.
the performance drop is minimal too.

otherwise this guy on ebay sells a cnc machined alloy silencer cap insert, that fits into the muffler tip, basically does the same thing, $25 plus post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17102295...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_516wt_1165

Latest posts

Back