Going to try the new Hummer G4

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don^t get a dr650..they suck..I got one ...get the drz400 instead++

Yeah the drz 400 looks good performance wise - but I just don't like the concept of a liquid cooled bike - I'm just getting old & grumpy I guess!

True the DR650 is getting a little long in the tooth now, having been in production so long - but there can often be benefits to buying a bike that's been on the market a while.

For a start the DR650 is cast iron reliability wise and there's plenty of aftermarket stuff available to improve it's performance. Stiffer springs, upgraded muffler and a bit of tinkering with the carbie jetting, will improve the performance of the DR650 out of sight.

True it's never going to win you any Motos - but both on and off road performance is adequate and I'd take it as an on/off road adventure bike any day. It's also easy to maintain and repair and the cost of both the new bike and spares is competitive (for a Jap bike anyway)

The new on/off road adventure bike offerings from BMW, Kawasaki and the like look pretty flash - but seem configured kind of top heavy to me. My personal opinion is that they may present too much of a compromise off road for my tastes.

I recon a DR650 plus a few after market suspension upgrades still offers one of the best value on/off road bike packages available and judging by sales, a lot of old buggers like me agree.

Each to his own of course - and things probably look a lot different from a younger perspective - but that's just the natural way of the world!

Hey Rod and guys, sorry I have not been in for a while but work has been crazy so not much time for riding or anything for that matter! Which is a good thing because I have been waiting 3 months for a new inlet manifold for the older Kuda Pro!!!!! Rod as you will remember I split the manilfod a while ago and well the repair job did not last too long so I went to Atomik to get a new one and well i have been waiting ever since!
I knew buying this bike that the aftersales support would not be that of the Japanese compeditors but i suppose allways in the back of my head i wish it was. I also have another confession I nearly bought a YZF426 the other day and if i didn't have the missus holding the purse strings i would have a nice big blue bike in my garage at the moment.
I am getting a little tired of having to repair or do somehting to the bike after every single ride and this would not be bad untill you compre your self to the mates you ride with who have jap bikes and all the ever have to do is service, anyway thats my winge for today speak to guys later.

520 chain

ive finally put a 520 gauge chain on my tomahawk kx. i did the same thing as with the larger rear suzuki sprocker and with the front sprocket all i had to do was file half a millimeter off each umm spikey thing inside the hole dunno what theyre called but anyways got a 13t front and 48 t back which gives a drive ratio of 3.69. the inmprovement is vast i recommend to take the time and mod your own bike to this. i got the chain which is rk o ring 520 for 120 dollars but gave me the front sprocket for free and then the rear was 49.95 anyways just thought id tell everyone about that still havent fitted the xr350 shock been at school to much anyways have fun everyone

Thats sounds like a pretty good mod there Linkavitch, i have the KX also and i noticed last week after a i tightened the chain on both my bikes that the KX has the 420 or 428 cant rememba and the atomik has the 520.

What was the suzuki sproket that you fitted? i have a larger rear sproket at the moment but still run the stock front one. I like a lot of bottom end power and a really steep 0-100 acceleration. Is 13 t front smaller?

LOL i was looking at buying a KTM shock the other day on eBay, it was going pretty cheap, Do you know for sure that the XR350 shock will fit? cus my dad reckons i can just upgrade the spring on the stock shock, what do you think?

Also just incase, have you had any troubles with the "chain tensioner" position when you changed sprokets, i know i had to grind mine off when i went to a bigger sprocket at the back.

Its a nice day (44 degrees and counting) time to go clean a carby and take some pics. :)

back.jpg

front.jpg

over-1.jpg

no its not a fmf exhaust- its a fmf sticker.
how beefy does the kenda millville tyre look on that skinny swingarm haha

Hi guys, been offline for a while with shingles. Take my word for it, you don't want to get them!

Over here in the west, most of the ride areas are really soft going and it can be a real bugger staying upright in soft sand.

I just fitted a set of Motos Tracular tyres this weekend and I have to say they're brilliant in soft going.

They're a little on the pricey side compared with some - but definately a superior tyre in soft going. I thought I'd do the right thing and get in a little practice fitting them myself - but take my word for it - lifes too short to fit tyres yourself with just a couple of dodgey tire levers!!!

Next time I'll be sure to take the wheels in with me and get the tyre outlet to do the hard work!!

The Hummer's going really well and to date I haven't had a single defect - but I'm still thinking of getting a DR650 to holiday around the state.

There's a few places around Perth that carry upgrade suspension and performance parts for the DR650 - and I recon around 2 grand over the purchase price will turn out just the bike I want. Unfortunately the 2009 models only come in white which I hate - but I may well pick up a good second hand model in the blue colour I want and save a few bucks to boot!

You guys over east stay safe from the fires!

Thats sounds like a pretty good mod there Linkavitch, i have the KX also and i noticed last week after a i tightened the chain on both my bikes that the KX has the 420 or 428 cant rememba and the atomik has the 520.

What was the suzuki sproket that you fitted? i have a larger rear sproket at the moment but still run the stock front one. I like a lot of bottom end power and a really

Yeah the 13-48 sprockets, which are both off a suzuki tf185, give you a top speed of about 100 i think which has really good acceleration and a lot of torque for hillclimbs logclimbs and single trail

so yeah its a pretty good mod and my bikes going aiight except for the back brakes keep breaking the rubber rings in it so yeah might have to look into getting a better one

rattling at idle?

hey guys on my kx when i start it up and run it until its warmed up when you let the revs drop down to idle then a small rattle starts up. i think its the cam chain but i dunno how to tighten it theres an allen nut near the starter motor and when i take that out theres something in there but im not sure. just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to tighten up the camchain thanks

So - i'm still not convinced......

Can someone please make my mind up for me.

If i have the option of a 1993 KLR 250 in reasonable nic OR go for the ATOMIK KUDA PRO.........for around the same price .......what do do?.

I'm mechanically minded enough, & have raced KX 125 & 250's back in the 90's - however would prefer to just take the bike out with my young bloke & then put it straight in the shed for next time.....Of course i'd do the basic maintaining, just don't like the idea of "one hour in the bush = two hours in the shed!"

I have my licence and would be intending to register "the bike" recreationally.

$1800 is my about my upper limit.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Last edited:
~~~

well, if you are mechanically minded and enjoy working on your bike, then i think you will enjoy this bike, but just remember than you have to do a bit of work once you get it to get it all up to scratch. i think the quality of chinese bikes are improving vastly, so if you just put the bike through all the rigors of trail riding, and it survives, then you have a good bike thats easy to ride and can still go wherever the jap/european bikes can go. good luck with whichever bike you get.

gday fellas just wondering if you can actually take like the silencer outta the exhaust on the hummer

Heeeeeres Johny - (you might be bit young to know that song) but anyway i have taken out the silencer on my bike (250cc KTM lookalike from Dreamrider, the same guy that sold all those hummers on eBay) and i have also pulled apart the atomik proX 250cc exhaust.

It does make a more throaty, deeper sound with a lot of grumble under breaks but i put it back in after one ride because i regularly start the bike in my backyard and don`t fell like being yelled at by the neighbours.

heres a pic of what i did, and what i took out. It was reall easy, just a allen key and a bit of elbow grease :)

WHAT.jpg

so it can be done, might require a slight carby adjustment after you do it (i didnt leave it out long enough to do it) hope this helps.

Cheers nafe il have a go and try and get it out hopefully will. And hahaha heres johny bliss n eso ? happy in my hoody or something like that

Thanks to all the input that has been discussed in this thread, Its made life a lot easier since i bought a 2nd hand hummer g4 that had beeen ridden for 5 minutes and stored in a shed for 12 months.
All the info has allowed me to set the bike up good.
I did read earlier in the thread that someone had a problem with their rubber inlet manifold splitting, as mine has too.
Has anybody found a place that sells replacements in australia ?
Any info would be appresiated.

Thanks

Atomik should stock them - although the Mikuni Carbie and engine on your bike is pretty standard for most China 250s - so most of the China bike stores will carry them.

Gday rodbox, with the muffler on the g4 can you drill the rivets out of it and then take out the silencer just wondering if its possible???

Yeah - it quite easy - though be prepared to stick your fingers in your ears when you start her up!

Also, the amount of exhaust back-pressure will be changed slightly - so you may require some carby adjustment or re-jetting to get the power band dialed in to optimum.

There are heaps of threads on this site telling you how to re-jet carbies though..

slightly off topic but im about to purchase a roller Jap 250 equiv. read: XR250, im unsure of the year at this stage but the price is right ;) Basically, which engine would I be best off going for as a bolt in replacement!? links by any chance pleeeease!!

Has anyone else attempted the swap or got any suggestions as to what else could go in!??.... Aside from the blatently obvious..Fingers crossed its as easy as the Z50-Ducar if a OHC or P/R comes at the right price :)

again sorry for the off topic, my god, its almost at 70 pages of USEFUL information!! Rodbox for Mod IMO, this thread ROCKS!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back