Going to try the new Hummer G4

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodbox5

Reaction score
After much deliberation, I’ve just purchased my first Chinese trail bike from Dreamrider on the e-bay.

The model I’ve chosen is the Tomahawk G4 Hummer, which was advertised as a much upgraded version of the earlier Hummer offerings.

Claimed improvements for this new model include:
Larger Wheels – 21” front & 18” rear
Later model Zongshen 4 stoke OHC 250cc engine
Improved power delivery to 12.5 kw.
Fully adjustable front & rear shocks
Upgraded disk brakes
Strengthened frame and bash plate

In addition, it is claimed that the overall fit and finish has been greatly improved and that key stress area components, are now largely machined from steel billet – to replace the weaker welding and fabrication methods employed on earlier models.

Making a choice wasn’t easy. Each brand of Chinese bike seems to have its avid supporters – and these folks are as full-on as cup final footy supporters.

Unfortunately to pro’s and con’s of each make, tend to be put forward in expletive format within the chat rooms and little reliable technical feedback is available. This unfortunately doesn’t help the average punter, wanting to buy his first China ride.

At the end of the day, my choice of bike was driven by the following factors:

1. Reasonable price
2. Good Looking bike
3. Large frame format and ride height (I’m 6’2”)
4. Claimed performance
5. Claimed improvements over previous models.

I’m having the bike delivered to the engineering plant where I work. There are about six of us here, who can’t wait to see what arrives for the price.

We intend to take some time and ensure the bike is assembled to factory spec – then set up the suspension to suit both rider and terrain conditions. We’ll then tune up the rig on a dyno and see if the bike outputs the power levels claimed. After a final inspection (provided no life threatening flaws are detected), we’ll do a thorough field trial (with the bike as delivered) – and forward the review to this site.

Having identified any weak points, we’ll seek to address these issues with some custom mods – and again test the performance in the field. Hopefully we can put out some cost effective ways of improving the bike post delivery.

We are really looking forward to the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the purchase mate, Im looking forward to your seeing how your thorough tests of the bike turn up.

Sounds awesome..

Cant wait to see what it turns out like..

I see your in perth where do you plan to ride?

Riding locations

First, I'm getting the bike covered with an offroad vehicle licence

Then I'm using a secluded part of Gnangarra forest (where use is restriced to ORV licence holders) to test the bike in typical off-road conditions.

If that works out with no major problems, I'll take her up to Lancelin and try a more extreme dune work-out.

If the Hummer gets through that with no dramas - I'll declare it a good buy!

No mate - Just want to do thing right and get some useful info out there

I love the price on these bikes - if you can get them to work well with a little extra work - then that has to be a bonus.

I'd hate to blow $10K on a big brand bike - the thought gives me the creeps

haha secluded its right on the main road (I know the area as I ride there)

Also with the Off road vehicle license don't bother.. I had my quad and custom buggy licensed and its a waste of time and money.. Never once did it get checked and in fact 1 cop and ranger actually asked me where the plates came from..

No Sus - the area I'm thinking of is about a kilometer in from the main drag - then turn right.

They do check your licence though.

Any useful feedback/reviews as yet as I have been looking at buying one of these bikes for my 15 year old son and am keen to know if they are any good.

my mate has just bought the g4 hummer, will arrive this week bought it for $1310. we ride out in wanneroo next to the karts, heaps better place to ride gnangara is a shit hole

To ourhouse4:

I received the G4 Hummer this week and have assembled the bike to completion.

Comments so far:
1. The bike is a far superior construction to the old Hummer - and seems a lot stronger and better finished.
2. The Owner's manual and assembly instructions were not the best however. One assembly item not mentioned is the absence of installed brake pads on the back wheel - which seems at first glance to be fully installed and in-situ. The lesson here is not to press the rear brake pedal until you have the pads installed.
3. Tomahawk were pretty quick at answering questions and did seem keen to support their product.
4. The engine is rated at 12.5 KW - but we think there is scope to get another 3 to 5 KW out of the beast - with some minor engineering and tuning mods.
5. With the extra power, Tomahawk have opted for a smaller 41 tooth sprocket to increase top speed - I think this was a mistake. My preference would be for a larger sprocket and to enjoy more acceleration and low-end grunt any day. With this in mind, I have ordered both a 47 tooth sprocket and a 54 tooth sprocket to try out.

Looks promising so far - hope to have a full review in six weeks (bike requires a 1000k running-in).

To hickmanioz:

I had a look at the Wanneroo off-road area (next to the karts) - and agree it's a better place to ride than Gnangarra. Going to trial the bike there - and at Lancelin.

man its gunna take you months to run it in 1000k's lol you only need to run a couple of tanks of fuel.

Unfortunately running in a Chinese bike is like running in an English bike 50 years ago.

About 1000kms is right - with oil changes at around 300, 600 & 1000kms.

This is particularly important, since we are going to beef up the power output - which will put the gearbox and clutch under additional strain.

The same thing applies to checking the bike over. A lot of stuff is not pre-lubed and many of the bolts aren't torqued to the correct value - so you have to go over them with a fine tooth comb and check everything - a real mechanic's bike!

I'm sure a lot of folks just rush things and get them going out of the box ASAP - which is where you will run into trouble.

Chinese bikes are cheap - but there is a price to pay in extra care & maintenance - plus some tinkering to get them at their best.

If you take the time however - you can end up with a pretty good bike for the money - and learn a lot about mechanical servicing on the way.

have the 250's got an oil filter? if they dont youll be changin oil ever 3-4 good rides....

This one has - and I've noticed a few other makes have oil filters on their newer models - but you're right, some of the earlier offerings don't.

THe good thing about some of the newer models is that the replacement oil and air filters are common designs with some of the Jap bikes - so even if the OEM Offerings are a little suspect - the replacement parts will be good.

I intend to change all mine after 300k

well the bloke is tryin to do a full reveiw on the bike, good on him i say

The story goes like this;

Chinese 250cc - $1500 + $250 upgrade parts + time & tinkering = good bike

Good secondhand JAP bike - $6,500 - + $800 service + Parts = good bike

New Jap or Euro 250cc = $11,000+ - great bike but do you need (and can you handle)all this capability and what else could you have done with the money?

If money is nothing to you - sure buy a 2007 KTM, if you can handle it!

IF you want to have some fun for a small layout - and enjoy the mechanical side of bike ownership - buy a good China!

Very well said. Good on you for contributing your knowledge and experiences to the forum, Im certain multiple members will find this information usefull.

I read this thread before joining and thought I'd check in to see how it was all going?

I have bought the same bike (just waiting for it to be delivered) so interesting to see how it's all progressing.

Latest posts

Back