Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah they would do, you would be better off with a finer thread though.
it will hold better due to more contact area.
but you'll need a matching thread bolts too.

do you have a Fastener shop near you, or even a Bearing shop close, or an Auto Parts shop, the better ones sell Bolts/Taps etc
a single M8 x1mm semi tapered tap is around $6, they start cutting easier.
the ones in your link are bottom taps, so they tap the thread to the bottom of the hole.

here's a pair of cheap ones from china, if you can wait ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-High-...H_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27dc6c16a6&_uhb=1

yeah i think they are M8's.. so thats a good thing
i'll need a handle??

its good to have a handle, makes starting the thread square much easier, but in pinch you can use a shifter, but i wouldnt advise it. the good thing with taps, is that your always using them. they'll be time in the future where i can guarantee you'll be glad you bought it.

its good to have a handle, makes starting the thread square much easier, but in pinch you can use a shifter, but i wouldnt advise it. the good thing with taps, is that your always using them. they'll be time in the future where i can guarantee you'll be glad you bought it.

bloody oath mate!
cheers for that one....
i'll see what i can find... if anyone can find me a handle that is cheap that goes from 4 to 12 or what ever that would be sweet, i can not find one... lol

Well turns out we dont lol....
We will have to go to bunnings I guess... Lol
This is the m8s we had laying around.....
uploadfromtaptalk1392445569766.jpg
M5 or M6.... One or the other....
uploadfromtaptalk1392445652253.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392445696552.jpg
A washer... That fits m5/m6
uploadfromtaptalk1392445752156.jpg
My handy welding work
Not braggin... Arc btw
uploadfromtaptalk1392445807390.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392445875233.jpg

if you had made the stops thicker, then maybe you wouldn't need to drill and tap the tripples

weld something onto the stoppers you welded on, a bit to the right of that red marking

turn your bars to the left or right, so the forks almost touch your tank/plastics
then measure how much gap there is at the stoppers to the tripple clamp

if it's only like 6 or 8mm difference, then find a bit of metal that thick and weld it to the stopper.

uploadfromtaptalk1392609462794.jpg
Okay...I'm holding a peice of of cardboard for a template for a steel bar.. That I will bolt in place or weld....to the frame..
I'll file the ends down so they don't gouge out the lower triples..
I may even "harden" the steel,heat it till red hot... Then dunk it in an oil bath ...
Feasible??

yeah, just remember the angles on the each end,
so when the tripples hit the stops, there is a big surface area touching.
bigger area = less damage to the tripples

and yeah, round off the sharp edges/corners

hardening it won't make a lot of difference to the stops.
although the frame is most likely Cromoly, it could cause the new piece to fracture the frame around where it's welded.
the tripples are alloy, so they will get damaged first anyway

Last edited:
we do have some.. but they are not metric i believe, gonna go get the taps i linked before...
its only going to cost 0.31c for each m6 bolt!
and grabbed a chart for tapping... i'll use a 5mm drill bit
and the pitch is 1mm so that checks out all ok!!

OK.. Went out an got some bolts and the new taps.....
uploadfromtaptalk1392952962659.jpg
I'm happy with the bolts...
But not overly impressed with the taps...
uploadfromtaptalk1392953034958.jpg

See here the end of the tap is misshaped as if it was in an accident whilst it was being made...uploadfromtaptalk1392953141384.jpg
But it'll do.....

Latest posts

Back