HELP ME PLEASE

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronbishop

Reaction score
Hi so last week I bought my first dirtbike, after not telling mum and she getting mad etc, I fixed the rear tyre and stuff like that, and then I had troubles starting it, I then dipped the spark plug into some fuel, and it started right up.. I went for a ride, and I stalled it going up a sand hill in 4th gear really slow ( didn't realise at the time) anyways when I tried to start it again, it would not for the love of god start, I was kicking it and kicking it for ages, I thought it was getting flooded as there was fuel coming from the overflow, after about 30 minutes later, 33 degree heat, I decide to start kicking it again, after it started, and ran.. But yeah, it works perfect when It's running, it's just kicking it over? I'm a 16 year old wanting to become a bike mechanic, but only know basics, except this.. Would anyone here have a clue? I have pulled muscles in my ankle trying to kick the god danm thing over.. I have been told the valve need adjusting, but I don't know.. (Please no sarcasm comments.. I'm being serious)

check out this video for help setting the valve clearances- it's pretty easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjdJcIYdWo

i'm guessing the carby at least needs a pull down and clean out too,
fuel coming out the overflow is an indication the needle and seat may have something stuck in it, plastic or dirt from the fuel tank.
take photo's of what goes where to help you reassemble it.
give the jets a good blow out with compressed air, and any air gallerys too.

i'd also be taking the tank off, and remove the petrol tap, and giving it a good wash out.
they generally have bits of plastic/dirt in them and can cause problems
use a filter inbetween the tank and carby too, if it doesn't have one now.

cheers, craig

somewhere theres a thread on the checklist to, well, check if you got a new bike and know doodly-squat...

carby, float levels and general (internal) grime. they dont always come clean from the factory :rolleyes:

valves, clearances, adjustor tightness, um...

spark. electrical system. remove all extraneous or unnecessary wires for maximum reliability. ensure good earth points.

tighten everything, replace axles with good ones off a real bike.

bleed brakes. adjust clutch and controls for comfort.

tell the mum to bugger off if its your money and you worked for it at the local IGA.

then again, if you just get an allowance for doing nothing but being her little darling, then she has every right to abuse you.

im gunna go fry up some dead chicken :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back