HELP! My 125cc lifan ares is smoking

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleho_mms

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this forum and sorry for my bad english!

I bought lifan 125 pit bike last month and bike didn't have stator plate so i bought inner rotor kit! At first i had no spart and dthe i reversed coil polariti and i get a very strong spark. Then I removed hed to check piston and cylinder and it was all fine. When I put head back on i did put a litle oil in head through the big opening where head bolts to cylinder and the i cleand carb. After all that bike started after few kicks and it was running pretty bad and bogging also white smoke started coming out forom exhaust.
So i would like to know is smoke coming from oil that is burning because I stupidly put it inside head and is that cousing bogging?

Sorry again for my bad english because I'm form Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Please HELP! :(

Welcome mate, normally white smoke is due to the crankcase breather hose being blocked, its at the rear of the engine, usually hidden by the frame, check it is not blocked or stuck between the frame and the back of the engine.

yeah, if you oiled up the piston and valves it will smoke for a while, it should come good after 5 minutes of riding.
it may take a bit to burn it off the spark plug too, check the plug after half an our or so riding, and replace the spark plug if it needs it.

did you get the cam timing right when you put it back together?
also have you ever checked the valve clearances?

Welcome mate, normally white smoke is due to the crankcase breather hose being blocked, its at the rear of the engine, usually hidden by the frame, check it is not blocked or stuck between the frame and the back of the engine.

Thanks mate I will surtanly check that

yeah, if you oiled up the piston and valves it will smoke for a while, it should come good after 5 minutes of riding.
it may take a bit to burn it off the spark plug too, check the plug after half an our or so riding, and replace the spark plug if it needs it.

did you get the cam timing right when you put it back together?
also have you ever checked the valve clearances?

Because I installed irk and i didn't find any timing marks on it a removed head and position piston at TDC and align camshaft mark and then I put cam chain on. Spark plug is a bit oily after about 5 minutes. But i can't ride bike because its bogging.

Is it still blowing white smoke, did you check the breather hose and can you feel it blowing out the breather pipe, if you can't feel anything coming out of the breather remove it and check.

With the bogging, have you tried cleaning the carby and then blowing the parts out with compressed air?

The needle in the carby slide has settings on it. Remove the slide from the throttle cable and on the needle is a small clip, there is 5 notches. What notch is your clip on? If it is in the middle position put it to the bottom notch and re-install and try, I had a 125 that bogged bad and once I dropped the clip down the bog disappeared, but really the bogging could be a number of things. Let me know how you go with the smoke and bogging.

Is it still blowing white smoke, did you check the breather hose and can you feel it blowing out the breather pipe, if you can't feel anything coming out of the breather remove it and check.

With the bogging, have you tried cleaning the carby and then blowing the parts out with compressed air?

The needle in the carby slide has settings on it. Remove the slide from the throttle cable and on the needle is a small clip, there is 5 notches. What notch is your clip on? If it is in the middle position put it to the bottom notch and re-install and try, I had a 125 that bogged bad and once I dropped the clip down the bog disappeared, but really the bogging could be a number of things. Let me know how you go with the smoke and bogging.

I checked hose and it was ok. And then i cleaned carb and bike run little better. After about 10min of reving it almost stopped smoking and then it again started bogging and turned off. Then bike wouldn't start at all so I again removed carb and it was very dirty. I think that is happening because i run bike without fuel filter. I tried putting a car fuel filter and gas just woudun't go throu.

You should be able to get a filter from a mower or motorcycle shop, if you cannot get a filter than remove the fuel tank and clean it out. Dont forget to remove the brass(gold) jets out of the carb when you remove the bowl and blow them out with compressed air, removing the tank and cleaning may be the go as you may even have water in the fuel causing all your probs, even though the breather wasnt blocked can you feel it blowing air out of the hose?

You should be able to get a filter from a mower or motorcycle shop, if you cannot get a filter than remove the fuel tank and clean it out. Dont forget to remove the brass(gold) jets out of the carb when you remove the bowl and blow them out with compressed air, removing the tank and cleaning may be the go as you may even have water in the fuel causing all your probs, even though the breather wasnt blocked can you feel it blowing air out of the hose?

I have now again cleaned carb and bike started after first kick and at idle there was no smoke but bike ran for about 2min and turned off and when i tried to start it again it kick start was very hard to move so i removed spark plug and it was black and oily is this a mixture problem and can you tell me how many turns screw need's to be in?

If you screw the mixture screw in all the way and then screw it out about 1-1/2 to 2 turns and start from there.
You say the kickstart was hard to move, If there is any water in your fuel it will always go into the combustion chamber first as water is heavier than fuel and sits in the carb bowl where the jets pick the fuel up, also water does not compress and can cause the engine to kind of lock in a way. Drain the fuel bowl into a cup and if there is any water in there it will appear as a bubble on the bottom of the cup, you can do this with the fuel from the tank by taking a fuel sample from the fuel tap also.

If you screw the mixture screw in all the way and then screw it out about 1-1/2 to 2 turns and start from there.
You say the kickstart was hard to move, If there is any water in your fuel it will always go into the combustion chamber first as water is heavier than fuel and sits in the carb bowl where the jets pick the fuel up, also water does not compress and can cause the engine to kind of lock in a way. Drain the fuel bowl into a cup and if there is any water in there it will appear as a bubble on the bottom of the cup, you can do this with the fuel from the tank by taking a fuel sample from the fuel tap also.

Thank's for advice. I started bike now and it ran pretty good on choke and after 1/4 tank of fuel i shut it self of so now I'm going to fill it up again and start it to see how it run's now!

What brand is the sparkplug mate??

Thats good, does the plug have japan etched in it just below the hexed section the socket tightens on.

Thats good, does the plug have japan etched in it just below the hexed section the socket tightens on.

I must check that, but bike run's fine when its is cold and when it heats up it just boggs out what that can couse

finally i fixed the bike! Problem was in valve clearance. I adjusted valve clearance and bike started after 2 kicks, and i had a lot more compression and it ran fine. :applaudit:

Latest posts

Back