High temperature Daytona Anima 190 FDX

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

china911

Reaction score
Cut some serious laps today approximately 47 x 3.2 km per lap. with some mates on yz 125 crf 250 and yz 250f.. Ambient temp was no higher than 11degress in county Ballarat. The 190 s temp from morning ride was comfortably hovering around 86 -95 degrees . By about 2pm it was running at 105 - 107.6 degrees. l had install a fresh filter and spark plug by lap 20 (both plug and pipe sooty black) a few tweaks of the air screw as well. The oil cooler was clogged with mud ,so l cleaned her up and continued .At one stage it touched 110 degrees. Bit of a concern going of factory recommendation not to run it over 95 degrees. Any how the thing ran pretty strong all day . Just need to see long term if it has inherited any damage . l remember on a previous post Ringo was seeing 105 degrees on his bike without concern.

I haven't seen what oil temp's my 190 is running yet, but will do in the next week or so when my gauge/sender arrive's.

The main concern with running it at 110° C is the ring's, they'll lose tension if it was run at that temp for prolonged period's.
I have run my modified 351C XR Falcon at 235F (112° C) for 10 min's while stuck in slow/heavy traffic before and it didn't seem to hurt it at all.

One thing you could check though,
the Anima's have 6 oil squirter's on the inside of the rocker cover that spray oil over the rocker's roller's, spring's and cam.
They are fed directly from the oil pump, the oil run's up alongside the right bottom head/cylinder stud into the head.
There's a check screw fitted just forward of the spark plug and down below the fin's

The spray hole's are very fine, i wonder if it's worth taking the cover off and checking they're all open still as they help to keep the top end cool.
I just sprayed some degreaser through the main feed port on mine to check them, you can easily see if they're clogged.

What jetting do you run atm ?
And what spark plug, the NGK ER9EH ?

Last edited:
Mine goes over 100*c if I cop a couple of red lights in a row on a hot day, but cruising with air flow through the cooler it returns to high 70's! I try not to thrash it when them temp is high.

There's only two ways I can think of bringing it down, run the carb a little richer on all circuits, only marginal. Or fit a twin cooler setup, but I'm not that concerned, it only when stationary for prolonged periods and I baby it for a kay or two until it comes back down!! But this is easier to do with a streeter!! :D

677d109f4986aef9a22fe612bc03e170.jpg

:D :D :D

lm doing an oil change this week ,and l will have a look at the little swirt holes. Check valves ect . l wonder if its worth drilling the orifice (bigger) ,may be risky .. lm running a 130 main and recently went from clip position 2 from bottom back to centre clip position . It was running far too rich and fouled a plug. That was my summer setting. have to say l hope its built like a Ford.

l wonder if its worth drilling the orifice (bigger) ,may be risky .. lm running a 130 main and recently went from clip position 2 from bottom back to centre clip position . It was running far too rich and fouled a plug. That was my summer setting. have to say l hope its built like a Ford.
I wouldn't be doing that, the feed hole in the case from the oil pump isn't much bigger so you wont gain any flow.
If you were to enlarge that hole in the case too then that would take some oil away from the big end bearing's etc

I'm wondering if your pilot is a bit small, and main is too big ?
Colder temp's (ticker air) make your mixture's leaner, so if anything it need's to be richened, that's why i think the main might be too big now.

I tried running a 115 main jet in my pwk28 on the 190 last weekend, but it gave it a big stumble/misfire into the higher rev's, i ended up fitting the 110 main back in.

Last edited:
Yeah the main is big thou l tried to lean it . The engine is asking for more full. l think its more to do with the track lm riding WOT more of a 3/4 gear track .. the previous week same l rode in the same temperature ,altitude thou slower riding the temp read under 96 degress ..

Yeah l wont be drilling any squirt holes.

This has got me thinking boys, ive been talking to jaime from classic honda 50's, awesome guy!
he's told me a little secret for keeping the temps lower on the big bore motors at full noise, there is a product that decreases the size of the molecules in the oil itself, splitting atoms ie, increasing the surface area of the oil, more surface area the more its going to cool, its called Two2Cool, apparently the legend Reefy ran it and it helped heaps back in the day.
also would it help getting thicker viscosity oil for running at these high temp?

What pilot is in your PE28 again Tony ?
And how many turn's out is the mixture screw ?

I was thinking if your pilot is too small then you'd need to raise the idle speed a bit
Doing that would make it run more off the needle and sort of cover up the problem of having a too small pilot jet, and would also need to run the bigger main

I should be able to let you know what temp mine idle's at just after lunch tomorrow if i'm lucky, rain's forecast here.
But won't be able to tell you my riding temp's for a bit yet, there's nowhere close enough to go for a ride.
I'm making up the loom now to power the new temp gauge.

And Loco what was the jetting mistake you made with the 4v YX you mentioned in your Ciniworx thread ?
Guessing it's sorted now ?

Last edited:
Yeah Craig, I had the TB main jets in, as they're shorter than the keihin mains, the TB ones carry on going on to the main, but it screams at full noise, as the needle was too long for the actual jet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yeah Craig, I had the TB main jets in, as they're shorter than the keihin mains, the TB ones carry on going on to the main, but it screams at full noise, as the needle was too long for the actual jet
Hope you swapped in the correct jet's now.
Shorter jet's = leaner main's

KTM 50sx owners rave about that two2cool, because they have a centrifigal clutch inside them, the oil temp sky rockets!!!!!

lm running a 45 pilot .. 2 + turns out ..

l am running mineral based Castrol oil 10/40 . oil change every 4 hours.

May try something different .

Could the large oil cooler (struggle) to pump oil around???

Ok you pilot jetting is bigger than i thought.

Nah, i doubt the oil pump would be having problem's pumping it through the cooler,
all the pump need's to do is get the oil up there, once it's full it overflow's and drain's back into the engine.
The Pitsterpro LXR oil cooler's are the same style (but a little less efficient) and would be one of the hardest one's to pump oil up and through being upright and they sit a couple of inch's higher than our's too.

I'm running Penrite 10W50 semi synthetic atm (only because i was given 4L of it, lol)
But i usually run Castrol Activ 4T 15W50 mineral because it's good and cheap too.

Just thinking again,
194_Moving_gears.gif

have you had a timing light on your engine ?
I wonder what it's running, and if it's any different to mine ?
Can't remember what my timing was at last time i checked, might have written it in my build thread ?

l haven't used a timing light since 1990 . Forgot how to use one.
Will a higher octane fuel keep temperature lower ????

Do you pay someone to tune your car?

High comp engine's need high octane fuel, your 190FDX has 12.1 / 1 compression.
High octane (98) fuel burn's cooler to lessen the chance of detonation, so if you've been running 95 then 98 might be enough to lower your engine temp's a bit?
I wonder if you will be able to leave the 130 main in it running 98 too?

So yeah i'd be running 98 octane in it, i use it in all my bike's anyway.

l run 91 .....as l always have it around as all my farm machinery uses 91 .

water pump , generator , tractor, 2 x Honda whipper snippers ,chainsaws, auger , 6 dirt bikes

l guess my fuel is always fresh

My cars are euro and my mechanics cheap so l don't touch them

better star using some 98

Worth a try for sure!
With it burning a bit cooler it should be too rich with the 130 main, you might need to take another couple of smaller main jet's out with you next ride?

Edit; just read up on Honda 4 stroke whipper snipper's, mention's to run them only on premium

Last edited:
Do you think 120 -125 main be okay or smaller..

Also do show & go the carby place in Adelaide still in business or who else does mains ?

Latest posts

Back