Honda z50 Converting to Loncin 110cc

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblack2929

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1972 Honda z50 and I just dropped a Loncin 110cc in it. The motor is a kickstart &/or electric start motor. I also have a new plug wire and coil. There are two sets of wires coming out of the motor. One set is black w/ red stripe, blue w/ white stripe, and two solid yellow wires. The other set is solid pink, blue w/ red stripe, yellow w/ red stripe/ light green w/ red stripe, and green w/ black stripe. I have a plug wire and coil with a solid green wire and a black w/ yellow stripe wire. I can’t get the right combo connected to get a spark.

The 1972 z50 was not designed for a battery or ignition. I want to wire this one the same way. Why am I not getting a spark? Can I do this or do I have to have a battery and /or ignition switch? Can you help me with the wiring configuration I need for this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks! Jason

The first set of wires sounds like the ones you want to be playing with, the others sound like the gear position indicator wires.
I'll have a look at my Z tonight and see what i can do for you. I had the same problems with wiring the Lifan/Ji-Pin into it

Ok heres the plan for you, from the engine you only need the black/ red and blue/white. They go to the CDI and from there assuming you have a 5 pin CDI you should have red, black and black white left from it. Red goes to coil, black is earth with a branch to the kill switch ( honda 2 wire kill assumed) and the black/white to the kill.
Hope this gets you going.:)

Ok heres the plan for you, from the engine you only need the black/ red and blue/white. They go to the CDI and from there assuming you have a 5 pin CDI you should have red, black and black white left from it. Red goes to coil, black is earth with a branch to the kill switch ( honda 2 wire kill assumed) and the black/white to the kill.
Hope this gets you going.:)

Thanks for the advice. However I can't seem to conceptualize what your recommending. I have the set of 5 wires plugged into my 5 pin CDI. What I hear you saying is wire the black/red & blue white wires into my 5 pin CDI wire set. Then, take the red, black, & black/white wires and wire the red to the coil, black to earth, and the black/white to the kill? I don't have a solid red, a solid black, or a black/white. Here's what i have:

Set 1
black/red
blue/white
yellow
yellow

Set 2 from motor plugged into 5 pin CDI
solid pink
blue/red
yellow/red
light green/red
green/black

Plug wire with coil
green wire
black/yellow

Your clarification is greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your time!!:)

This should help, ignore the wire colors on the CDI and just go by the pic. I would have posted this first up but i forgot i had it lol
engine-wire.jpg

Thanks!!!

This should help, ignore the wire colors on the CDI and just go by the pic. I would have posted this first up but i forgot i had it lol
engine-wire.jpg

Thanks! I'm out of town for a few days but will let you know how it goes. thanks again for your advice and time!!:D

I'd say you're going to have to solve the issue by starting at the kill switch and coil then working back to the CDI unit ..... then once you've got those right .... work back from the CDI unit to the engine .... The biggest mistake most people make is to attempt to tackle a problem from the start (engine) to the finish (plug) ... when in reality you're best starting at the scene of the crime (spark plug) then working backwards CSI style .... and as we all know .... they solve EVERY case without fail ... :p You may have to dye your hair red , wear dark sunglasses , and talk in a weird voice whilst tilting your head at strange angles while you're sorting the wiring out .... but you'll get there ... :cool:

Here's some info which may help ......

The white and yellow wires from the engine go to a rectifier so are not needed if the bike doesn't have battery charging , electric start , or lights . If they're not plugged into anything .......they should be taped up and sealed .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at the STOCK CDI unit tipped over with the ends facing to the top and bottom and the plug socket facing towards you at the bottom - the wires go like this :

-Top left ------------centre ------------Top right
RED/BLACK ------- BLACK/WHITE ---------GREEN
(to engine)--------(to kill switch)--------(to earth)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Bottom left ---------- centre -----------bottom right
BLACK/YELLOW ---- centre is blank-------BLUE/WHITE
---(to coil)------------------------------ (to engine)

HARNESS PLUG RETAINING TAB IS RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few more threads :

http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/tech-talk/13288-help-wiring-cdi-got-ripped-out.html

http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/tech-talk/19114-wiring-diagram-loncin-110cc.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and humor;) I'm out of town and will get back to this project in a few. I'll also include pics when I'm up and running. Thanks again!!

Worked Perfectly!! Thanks!!

Thanks for the wiring diagram from Hooper Imports. This worked perfectly. The wire colors were a little different but by following the placement on the cdi, coil and engine wires, it fired up on the first kick. Very strong Loncin 110cc compared to the original 49cc that came with the 1972 Z50.

I would recommend this diagram for future inquiries. I tried to upload a few images but they are showing too big. I don't know how to convert them to make them an acceptable size. Would post them if I knew how.

Thanks again moderators!!!

Jason Black in Joplin, Missouri:D

Good to hear you got it going, dont worry about the size of the pics, if they load, load them up :D

Hey need help just fitted 110cc pit dirt motor to my 50z 1980s old brake pedal doesn’t work hits foot pegs. Drum brakes. What foot pedal do I need ?

Latest posts

Back