Hope I don't sound stupid asking this question

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djeuro1981

Reaction score
I am wondering what I need to do to my bike to extend my revs out when I'm riding as they don't seem to rev out very much, I ride a pitster pro x4r 160cc,if I change my sprocket will it improve anything or no point,just needing advice please

The revs don't rev out much? Hm, what exactly do ou mean? Doesn't take a really long time to build speed/ revs? If so check the valve clearences and if it is still not building revs quick enough get your flywheel lightened? I did mine my self.. Drilled about 9 holes in it and what do you knowit gose like a two stroke.. Probably not the right way to lighten them but I couldn't care less I have lots of engine parts and flywheels to play with and use if I f somthin up anyway. Hope this helps. But really I can't imagine you getting much of a answer askin a question like that :lol:

what sprockets do you have on the bike now? do you mean you need to change gears alot? or more like its cutting out at a certain amount of revs?

a smaller front sprocket increases accleration and larger rear sprocket does the same
larger front sprocket gives the bike more top speed and so does a smaller rear sprocket.

i think i have usually 15/39 in my pitbikes. pretty even for most tracks, good acceleration and good speed

Last edited:
in terms of riding, the engine should be happy to sit on 4k-7k rpm pretty much all day.. try to avoid putting on idle in higher gears and keep the motor under less stressful mid range rpm loads..

Sorry guys I didn't explain myself very clearly when I'm riding I get good revs but was wondering if there is anyway to make the bikes revs extend for a little longer between gear changes so example I'm riding along and I take of flat stick and say first gear before it revs out takes 3 seconds before it starts valve bouncing can I turn that 3 seconds say into 6 seconds ect!

Sorry guys I didn't explain myself very clearly when I'm riding I get good revs but was wondering if there is anyway to make the bikes revs extend for a little longer between gear changes so example I'm riding along and I take of flat stick and say first gear before it revs out takes 3 seconds before it starts valve bouncing can I turn that 3 seconds say into 6 seconds ect!

1st gear is way too short on every engine. my 190, 250f and car is the same first gear is pretty much useless or only lasts 3 seconds. changing sprockets will make the bike go faster/not rev out so quick between gears

Last edited:
When you say valve bouncing, is it possible it is actually a rev limiter doing its stuff, changing cdi will allow it to rev higher, but it sounds a little pointless, your power band drops of drastically at that rpm. Just change gear earlier, and if it is not fast enough change sprocket size.

Goose is right mate, unless your willing to do some significant engine upgrades changing your cdi will certainly up your revs but for next to no real benefit. And it will almost certainly shorten the life of your engine!

Latest posts

Back