How to: CRF50 suspension upgrades

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westy465

Reaction score
have had suggestions to post this as a how to, so here it is.

I will be upgrading the suspension on my CRF50 with the following parts.

Sik 50s +1 fork legs
sik 50s HD fork springs
Sik 50s HD fork leg bushes
IShock M1A6

Now while I did not find the forks hard to dismantle, they will require a certain degree of mechanical ability. so if you are a novice be incredibly careful. there ae sone componants that could be damaged if not handled correctly. i will point them out when I come to it
remove the fork leg guards, then spin off the brake slack adjuster, and remove the axle. put the spring and the adjuster nut back on the cable because i always lose that shit.
P1010019.jpg

remove the two 14mm screws, and remove the 32mm stem nut. then with a screwdriver and a hammer gently loosen off the castle nut and you will be able to remove the front end. be careful with the little bearing cages.
P1010021.jpg

flip the forks upside down and with your thumbs slide up the rubber dust covers. then you got access to the circlips that hold the legs in. remove. there is a heap of grease around the spring, so have your wifes best sunday dress handy to clean it up.
P1010024.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010027.jpg

push out the roll pin that holds the leg to the spring carrier. a hammer and a pin punch is the best tool. be careful here, that collar is made of incredibly soft metal, almost of lead consistency. it is very malleable. dont hammer this piece or place it in the a vice.
P1010028.jpg

Last edited:
fork leg, collar, pin, and spring assembly all seperated.
P1010030.jpg

put the spring carrier in a vice and with a hammer and a small screwdriver gently tap the spring end so it rotates around the carrier, it will loosen enough to screw it off by hand. do both ends.
be careful here, the spring carrier is only cast alloy, and very soft, dont go all "He-Man" on tightening the vice, and be gentle with the screw driver, try not to chisel alloy off the carrier. just tap it around.
P1010033.jpg

the guts of the fork fully dissasembled.
P1010035.jpg

sik 50s vs stock honda
P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010039.jpg

P1010040.jpg

i cracked mine when i put em in the vice haha if you do it don't stress as there around $25 each from any honda shop

Nice HOW TO mate.
Respect for taking the time to do it.

yep top work mate, i seen this in your other thread and was going ask you to do this but you beat me too it..

+ reps for you mate..

hay man do u have to use +1 leggs or can u just put hd springs in them

theres no reason why you explicitly need the +1 legs. if you are just gonna replace the springs then all you gotta do is wind the spring carriers off and then put the new spring in. you can leave everthing else on the fork leg.

glad I could help guys.

Sweet As "How To" Westy!

Top Stuff! This will Definitely help a fair few out no doubt ;)

hay man do u have to use +1 leggs or can u just put hd springs in them

You dont need +1" Legs but if you put them in as well as the HD Springs you should get about +2" More Travel as opposed to roughly +1" if you just put HD Springs in Stock Legs!

So if you want that bit more Travel up front its worth putting the +1" Legs...

probably the price the person/business is selling them for. or you could bargain a little bit.

Reactions: TDR
This is great well done, I did this blindly the other day I wish there something this good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back