How to Install: Rim locks

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Me Racing 38

Reaction score
Hey,
Don't Let 'em Slip - Rim Lock Installation heres how

I drill the rim lock hole about a quarter of the way around the rim. Some people do it halfway. I don't because a tire has spun on the rim 180 out on me!

1) Mount the rim lock on the rim first with the nut on just a few threads.

2) Now mount the tire. I put the tube into the tire before I mount it on the rim. You can do this after the tire is mounted but my hands are to big to fit into the tire. ( I use a dishwashing soap with water to lube the tire so it slides on EASY.) Lube it up good.

3) Start at the tube hole in the rim, and put the tube in the rim.and put a nut on the valve stem and start the tire on the rim. If you have the strength you can get most of the tire on with just your hands. Note: It's a good idea to install the tire with the sprocket side down and the tire in the direction of the arrow.

4) When you get to the rim lock use your tire irons or "screwdrivers" to get the tire over the rim so you can get the rim lock to pop inside the tire. Push the rim lock up so it seats on the inside of the tire bead.

5) Now you need to get the second bead started on the rim, but this time start at the rim lock, making sure you get the rim lock above the bead. Note: Be care full not to pinch the tube!!! Make sure you use plenty of lube so it slides on easy. Keep working the tire on till your done.

6) Put air into the tire and then tighten the rim lock last.

Late...Mini Me Racing

DSC02654.jpg

About the Author: Kevin"OLDSCHOOL"Marshall
Lives on Cape Cod, Mass in the US
Railroad Engineer: CSX Transportation
41 Yrs Old
Hobbies: Building and Racing Fiddies, Riding and Racing BMX
What I'm proud of: my 13 yr old Daughter,
BMX Career #1 Ma NBL 35 over Expert in 1999,2000,2001. NBL National #7, 2000 #13, 2001 #23 cruiser 2001
Raced Pro/Am: 125/250 Nationals 88,89,90. Ex Pro BMX from 82 to 86.
2006 Transworld MX Masters of Mini Series Stock Class Champion
Thanks to Mark Mclean at Mini Me Racing, My girlfriend for putting up with me. Thanks for giving me the Time

Last edited:
ahar when i got my bike i was wondering what the hole in the back hub was for goodwork

yeah rim locks are the best investment ive made on my pitty i havnt popped a tube since
but mini me my bikes better then yours :)
P2060136.jpg

Latest posts

Back