HOW TO: Make your own dual oil cooler set up.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trains

Reaction score
As stated in the title this thread is to demonstrate how easy it is to set up a dual cooler set up.

Reasons for wanting a dual cooler set up are because it adds 20 swag points or if you have a high capacity/high performance engine like a daytona anima 190fdx.

I generally start all my projects on a piece of paper where i sketch out all the dimensions that ill need. These dimensions are found with the use of a vernier or digital caliper. If you dont have one of these a rule can be used.
0144dbe4276b40334b4b3779cc93ee22.jpg

Normally by this point i know what material ill be using. I generally like to go overkill with these types of things and chose 6mm plate steel. 4mm would be sufficient though.

Next up, i draw it all up in solidworks. This step is optional.
31e8d6e6d2320aeab274c1d03c97cb25.jpg

Depending whether you drew it up in solidworks or not the next step will vary.

What i generally do is print out a 2D 1:1 ratio version of each individual part, cut it out with a scalpel and then stuck it onto the metal plate i would be working with. Then i sprayed the plate with an etch primer. I used this over normal paint because it doesnt tear when you peel back the paper stencils and also lasts longer while cutting. Next you want to peel it back (after dry in about 10 minutes) and your clear marking lines will be revealed.

Alternatively you can mark it manually by using a fine permanent marker.

(No picture for this step)

I then cut out all the parts, rounded the edges with a bench grinder and deburred the whole piece with a medium file.
93a12364dee12f5f8a35b0fc5251808e.jpg

Next up i assembled the parts by welding them all together. My welds were sub par as i couldnt get ol reliable welding properly. I then let it cool then added 2 primer layers.
c0b2c3df7994198a283604d19cf05328.jpg

With my particular coolers i needed to add rubber grommets to reduce transmitted vibration. I also cut out a rubber sheet and put it behind it to further reduce vibration.
f706d79c149c35ad17423c3636fbb830.jpg

I then added paint and mounted the coolers and its all done!
Your design may vary depending on your bike.
24eb99e6d8fd7d3558ac0d9428431956.jpg

924ca71f20e0526c5848359c707ff1d5.jpg

Peace,
Trains.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Nice work Train's !
All that effort with drawing up plan's, stencil's, measurement's etc sound's like too much work for me, i basically do all my stuff by eye, lol
Turn your wire speed down about half a number, and/or the amp's up on the mig

Nice work Train's !
All that effort with drawing up plan's, stencil's, measurement's etc sound's like too much work for me, i basically do all my stuff by eye, lol
Turn your wire speed down about half a number, and/or the amp's up on the mig

If i had a mig i'd be working with Aluminium hahaha. Im using good ol arc welding.

Ok, i saw some steel on the ground in the 4th pic, look's like someone has run a couple of mig weld's on it, can see the wire still hanging off the end of the welds.
6mm thick mount's are way over engineered too, but you'll never need to replace them i guess
The drawbar on my 6x4 trailer is 6mm angle iron

I used 1.6mm zinc steel for my oil cooler mount, it hold's up my big cooler pretty firm.
If i come off and the cooler get's hit then it wont damage the cooler as bad if it can twist a bit so i might not have to push the bike back to the car

Ahhh nah thats an electrode that stuck while i was striking it. Turns out some solvent leaked onto the rods and messed them up. Opened up the other pack i have and was welding a little better. Theyre all arc runs. The stock bracket on the bike was 2mm steel and ended up bending. Ive positioned these coolers so they wont take a hit. Theyre pretty tucked in.

Cool work on the rads .. Are you throwing in a temp gauge..? Interested in what it will run..

Cool work on the rads .. Are you throwing in a temp gauge..? Interested in what it will run..
I wasnt planning on it at this point in time but ill definitely do it for the sake of science whenever i can spare the coin.
Thanks heaps guys!

Latest posts

Back