How to properly install a cnc throttle

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam93

VIC MR Ride Day Organiser
Reaction score
Like the tittle says how to install a throttle the correct way. Yes how hard can it be right installing a throttle? But I have seen a few people having trouble at the local tracks so this should save the hassle. Mostly its the throttle getting sticky and not as smooth as it could be.

The trick is to lube it like it was your missus. Who wants her dry? :p

well its the same thing with the throttle, I just used engine oil but any other type of lube or oil or grease etc should work perfectly fine.

The main point you need to lube up is where the shaft gets contact with the inside of the throttle. So gets some lube on your finger and rub it all over it.
Pic:
IMG_0018.jpg

Then also lube around the shaft to make it a little smoother.
Pic:
IMG_0019.jpg

Also lube the bearing so that it slides a bit easier
Pic:
IMG_0013.jpg

The main part that causes it to stick and to be rough is where the tube meets the wall refer to first pic so as long as that is mainly oiled it will be heaps better.

Once you do this it should not stick at all (well from the throttle anyway) And be a tad smoother and nicer to use. I have done this on several randoms bikes at the tracks and it always makes it a whole lot better!

Cheers, remember lube is the key to it being smooth :)
Sam93.

i found also people who have stick throttles either slide the throttle as far as possible onto the bar the throttle tube catches on the end of the bar

or

people slide the grip on the throttle as close as possible to the throttle body and that catches on the throttle body resulting in a sticking throttle

One thing you might want to add is, spray an aerosol; lube like WD-40 or RP-7 so that the cable aswell as the throttle housing is well lubricated.

If the cable and the housing arn't lubed up well, there is way more friction and creates a small tunnel of wear. This means it will make the acceleration even more rough.

EDIT: Also by lubing the cable, the lube runs down into the carb and makes the carbie slide more easily.

But nice thread. +1

Last edited:
Waterproof grease, or graphite works best under the throttle tube as it doesn't dry up after 1 ride or a wash.

Alloy on alloy is a bad combo for stiction ... Billet throttle tubes should really have a nylon insert to keep the two similar metals separated ...

Latest posts

Back