How to replace broken kickstart gears. Video.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baha i dunno thats why im asking u lot =)
either way u reckon that kick spline seal should just slide of with the case?
i reckon once i get the cover off ill get stuck getting the clutch off but one prob at a time hey =)

yeah all the covers i have changed, removed, swapped. came off without removing the seal.
it'll be the gasket sticking, somewhere, to the cover.

Gotta move the motor out to get to the bottom two bolts that hold the clutch cover off the bloody frame is in the way.. Smart buggers engineered this bike ay even smarter bloke working on it didn't see the bottom two bolts to begin with and was wondering why I couldn't get the clutch cover off

Spot the problem ..
802EC4E6-DAEC-46B6-9786-FC3841F1ED7D-2004-0000038C7031E851-1.jpg

yep, that'll do it every time....
did you find it in the bottom of the crankcase? and any metal filings in the oil filter gauze too?

also, watch out that you dont loose the clutch rod pusher too,
it will be sitting inside the clutch cover waiting to fall out

Haven't had a look yet only got the cover off and then went to a mates house so I'll sus it out over the weekend or Monday night, didn't notice anything drop out when I took the cover off it is still just hanging from the oil cooler lines off to the side didn't really look in the cover at all was more interested bout what was inside hehe dunno how I'll go getting the clutch off yet but I'm getting there slowly

Haven't had a look yet only got the cover off and then went to a mates house so I'll sus it out over the weekend or Monday night, didn't notice anything drop out when I took the cover off it is still just hanging from the oil cooler lines off to the side didn't really look in the cover at all was more interested bout what was inside hehe dunno how I'll go getting the clutch off yet but I'm getting there slowly

make sure when you take the plate off the front of your clutch to do it evenly the whole way, not just crack them loose or else it will probably crack

and then there will be a special nut that you may need a special tool for but i undid mine with a screwdriver and hammer (warn out screw driver grinded slightly square as so i dont damage the nut

All good iv got the tool for the slinger and clutch and a idea of how it all works now just need some time to actually do it , what do u mean bout the clutch tho I was going to take the face plate off and the springs and then screw one bolt back in with a washer to hold it all together while I pull the basket out so it will all stay meshed will that work ok?

All good iv got the tool for the slinger and clutch and a idea of how it all works now just need some time to actually do it , what do u mean bout the clutch tho I was going to take the face plate off and the springs and then screw one bolt back in with a washer to hold it all together while I pull the basket out so it will all stay meshed will that work ok?

yeah i mean when you take the faceplate off the springs have a bit of travel so to undo it keep going in a x formation untill they are all extreamly loose (the reason i say all is if there is spring tension and one bolt holding all that tension it will crack the plate) i hope i make sense

dont worry about it falling apart (the friction plates out and whatnot) its fun to look at and is not hard to put back together

also another note.. when you get the friction plates out (you will have to to get to the basket special nut) remember to take the washer/locknut off because it hurts your hands if you dont see it and try to reef the basket out lol...

This is fast becoming my noob adventure =) what should take about half an hour to do by the looks of it will almost certainly take me about a year lol
Been busy as after work lately but thought Id start pulling it apart last night while I had a bit of light left and ................... well
#1 looks like there are a few more teeth missing than first thought ;
49D701BE-B7C1-4F05-BF3C-BD7C221FA307-3995-000005AFACBA8A8B.jpg

#2 I noticed that there is a bit of play in the clutch basket back and forth along the shaft if you get what I mean the basket moves back and forth a bit towards the clutch plates? Is this normal or am I going to find that the nut is loose once I get the oil slinger out of the way and the clutch face and springs off?
Or is all this movement just the way the clutch engages ?

#3 and most importantly CHINESE BOLTS AND SCREWS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First step and I failed bahaha went to take the slinger face off..
Only 4 screws to take out , no biggie right? Yeah nah ... stripped 2 out of 4 now I'll have to carefully drill the heads of the screws remove the slinger face and vice grip the last two out and then find replacements for them, should have something at the workshop to match up but what a pain in the backside.

Just thought id share my fun and give you all a laugh, on a positive note Im learning a heap doing it myself and it gets me out of the inevitable watching of neighbours and home and away when the Mrs gets home.

Crap, i only just found this thread... Not good news Roy :( Oh well, nothing like getting chucked in the deep end, a great way to learn ;)

roy, looks like they were in need of doing soon anyway.
in your picture, the on the top teeth of the gear on the kickstart shaft,
you can see the wear from the centre gear, but you might have still got another 6 months or so use from that set of gears.
i see on ebay some sellers are advertising heavier duty kickstart gear sets.
i wonder if it'd be worth having a set shotpeened to relieve any stress in them?

craig

Crap, i only just found this thread... Not good news Roy :( Oh well, nothing like getting chucked in the deep end, a great way to learn ;)

All good Timeeh this isnt my 160ho its in my old atomik140 so no rush

roy, looks like they were in need of doing soon anyway.
in your picture, the on the top teeth of the gear on the kickstart shaft,
you can see the wear from the centre gear, but you might have still got another 6 months or so use from that set of gears.
i see on ebay some sellers are advertising heavier duty kickstart gear sets.
i wonder if it'd be worth having a set shotpeened to relieve any stress in them?

craig

you mean the teeth on the top gear thats broken, are worn down a bit?

if you have a problem bolt find a 7 point socket (i used my rattle gun one) and it got off what the normal sockets couldnt ( i hit it with a hammer to make sure it was flush and not going to strip any further

Had another go today .... Got the oil slinger cover off and will be able to get the remaining thread out and replace
3B3B0B66-111F-4AA5-8290-9B7EE38990F9-4235-000005F2DDB7395B.jpg

Now the issue is getting the nut off which iv already struggled with baha just my luck I tried with a metal chisel rounded off but the frekn nut is already getting damaged, iv got the tool to undo it but no impact driver at home ... Cut to cracked the s*#!%
AA61CB96-AD7E-48BE-B016-A84A22ECADE4-4235-000005F22AC0A17B.jpg

Now I can take it to work and get this bloody thing apart ..
434650EE-1B12-4D10-BD62-E6E43CDEC756-4235-000005F33049A16B.jpg

I am still in the mindset that I can do this myself with no experience and a lot of help from you guys so the journey will continue hehe

Latest posts

Back