How to replace broken kickstart gears. Video.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corey needs to do the same thing to his 160HO so we will both be watching you Roy so we can do his down the track. :)

49D701BE-B7C1-4F05-BF3C-BD7C221FA307-3995-000005AFACBA8A8B.jpg
nah, the gear on the kicker shaft, bottom centre of pic,
look at the teeth from where that gear meshes into the top (middle gear)and anticlockwise from there,
on the first 5 or 6 teeth you can see where the middle gear has been pulling down on the teeth.
it was due for replacement soonish anyway

aah ok i get ya so i should just change both of them im guessing.... thanks again mate been a big help now hopefully i can get this slinger nut and clutch nut off at lunch.. fingers crossed =)

i would be replacing all 3x gears, there is a 3rd, smaller gear that sits behind the clutch too.
being smaller means it turns faster and contacts the middle gear more, so it'd could be worn more than the other 2x gears.
they are available individually too, but if any of the 3 are worn and you just replace one, this wear will transfer to the new gear/s and you wont be much better off.

ebay and some of the sponsors here have them available in sets of 3.
but, different engines can take a different sized gear, so make sure you remove your gears first, so you can measure the i/d / bore, and count the # of teeth on the gears, then you can buy the correct set for your engine.
http://www.dhz.com.au/?rf=kw&kw=gears
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KICK-STA...ries&hash=item2eb7db4122&_uhb=1#ht_550wt_1163

Legend!!!

And thanks Nick let me go through all the grief so u and Corey are on easy street lol :)

Ok so just got the slinger off
06BEB6E7-2188-4D85-B948-8F54D56C0E54-4464-0000062C08BFC12C.jpg

Now my prob is that in order to get the nut off the clutch the inner of the clutch spins and I don't know how to lock it up??
C6B209BF-8819-487C-A41D-B660084BED09-4464-0000062C25BDD120.jpg

If I can get it all apart I can go see Greg at buzz and see if he has all three cogs the little one behind the basket is worn to buggery too so I'll replace all three... Getting there now :)

can you get another pair of hands to help?

hold the clutch basket with a strap type oil filter wrench, and then give the locknut a crack with a hammer / large blunt flat headed screwdriver.
i did mine just with the motor in gear, but it could stress the gearboxs' gears too.
you could also get a large flat headed screwdriver and use it as a lever over your kickstart shaft and put the blade of the screwdriver into the gear on the back of the clutch to lock it up.

I'll give it a crack at lunch but the clutch basket isn't spinning it's the inside of the clutch that spins when I go to get the nut off the outer of the clutch basket doesn't turn

SUCCESS!!!!
Found a nice way to hold all the clutch together so that the inside doesn't spin on itself . Just put back the face plate bolts with the clutch springs and use little washers between the head of the bolt and the spring so you put it all back under tension and lock the cogs up with a screwdriver and you can get the nut off the clutch basket easy as! Most of you are probably just rolling your eyes wondering how long could this possibly take but I'm stoked hehe
1F66687B-B0B5-439C-9B0D-299AA1C5C4BB-4718-00000657B69CA5C9-1.jpg

So now I'll be able to slide everything off and get to all the gears which I'll have to wait a bit to buy due to cash flow and VCM coming up but shouldn't be long now !!
Just wondering do all the gears slide off or attend there circlips or something locking them in??

Most of you are probably just rolling your eyes wondering how long could this possibly take but I'm stoked hehe
Just wondering do all the gears slide off or attend there circlips or something locking them in??
we all get stuck on things the 1st time and then the next time it becomes easier and easier
the circlips you may be able to get off with a big flat head screwdriver if you dont have some circlip pliers
make sure you put your hand on the other side of them because boy can those things fly... then the kick gears will be able to be slid off

^^ Cheers guys !!
all done now new shiny gears in place, geez there was a lot of washers and clips behind all that basket lol but i think im right to put her all back together and get the motor back in the bike =)
F3DD1D5E-1B7F-4EF7-9670-FD1A2428C637-5093-000006A791D22AEC.jpg

Cheers to Greg from Buzz bikes for hooking me up with the complete starter gear set =)
and cheers to you guys for all your help !! should start like new again now just wondering if to get it all back together and sell it all or sell it as a roller and keep the motor? or rebuild the whole bike for a spare? either way thanks heaps guys !!

Latest posts

Back