HOW TO: replacing wheel bearings

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbk

Reaction score
i had a quick look and couldnt find any specific thread on wheel bearing replacement

i found if you dont have the right technique for this like anything an easy job becomes difficult

you only need a few things to do this a couple of different sized flat head screw drivers, a hammer or some sort a rubber or wooden mallet would be more appropriate, a can of wd-40 the one with extenable piece does make it easier, a tub of grease and a clean rag and forgot to mention a socket that has the same OD as the bearings
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

step 1: put your new bearings in the freezer for a few hours, this shrinks them a tiny bit making it easier to install them, leave your wheel out in the sun to heat up a bit, in reverse to the bearigs the heat will open the hole a tiny amount etc

step 2: pry out the rubber dust seals if you have them

IMG_0018.jpg

step 3: spray wd-40 around the outer edge of the bearing and inside the hub behind the bearing, this is where the extendable piece helps

IMG_0020.jpg

step 4: use the flathead head scewdriver and your hammer to tap them out, to do this place the flathead screwdriver inside the hub, make sure you have the flathead screwdriver placed in a way it will not slip into the bearing seal, tap evenly around the bearing till it falls out, do the same to the other side

IMG_0021.jpg

step 5: clean the inside of the hub out

step 6: grease the inside of the hub where the bearings will go, fetch your bearings from the freezer and grease the outside race

IMG_0024.jpg

step 7: using your socket and hammer gently tap the bearing into your hub evenly

IMG_0025.jpg

step 8: DONT FORGET to place the spacer in the hub before you put your 2nd bearing in, repear step 8 for your 2nd bearing

step 9: place dust seals back in and wipe away excess grease

also i reccomend changing your bearings on your new moto asap as the chinesse ones arent flash hot and its a real ***** getting bearings out when they bust it involves grinding, ill make a new how to next time i have to grind the outer race out, i would also reccomend doing wheel bearings every 6 months to a year depending on how much you ride and the sort of riding you do

hopefully someone will find this of some use

yer were but after i did swingarm bearings i thought i would do one one on wheel cos i needed to replace them as well, i find wheel bearings much easier then swingarm

The following is how to remove them using a bearing puller. (much easier if your slack like me)
1) Purchase bearing puller then remove rear wheel, also make sure you have the new bearings in the freezer, doesn't hurt to do this the night before.
IMAG0189.jpg

2) Pick the correct size bit and insert into the bearing to be removed. (remove dust seal first if you have them)
IMAG0191.jpg

3) Insert the expander bit into the top of the of the puller bit
IMAG0192.jpg

4) Tension the two bits together to expand the puller bit
IMAG0193.jpg

5) Install (screw on) the slide hammer into the expander bit and place the wheel upside down preferable sitting half on the bench to allow the slide hammer to hang down
IMAG0194.jpg

6) Slide the hammer up and give it a good pull down a couple of times and the bearing will simply fall out :) And thats about it. Installation of the new bearing is as above.
IMAG0195.jpg

i used to use a long screw driver and put it in on a angle and tap the bearings out... and then use a socket and a hammer to press them back in...

The following is how to remove them using a bearing puller. (much easier if your slack like me)
1) Purchase bearing puller then remove rear wheel, also make sure you have the new bearings in the freezer, doesn't hurt to do this the night before.
IMAG0189.jpg

2) Pick the correct size bit and insert into the bearing to be removed. (remove dust seal first if you have them)
IMAG0191.jpg

3) Insert the expander bit into the top of the of the puller bit
IMAG0192.jpg

4) Tension the two bits together to expand the puller bit
IMAG0193.jpg

5) Install (screw on) the slide hammer into the expander bit and place the wheel upside down preferable sitting half on the bench to allow the slide hammer to hang down
IMAG0194.jpg

6) Slide the hammer up and give it a good pull down a couple of times and the bearing will simply fall out :) And thats about it. Installation of the new bearing is as above.
IMAG0195.jpg
To afford this option you def have to be on better money than the std china rider is, damn timeeh you always showing off, hence the double bar risers. You never looked back after pass the parcel and 2nd is never an option anymore, bday or not haha:focus:, Good stuff mate the puller looks the goods and wont seperate the bearing like an off shot screwdriver will causing headaches with a bearing race needing to be attacked.

To afford this option you def have to be on better money than the std china rider is, damn timeeh you always showing off, hence the double bar risers. You never looked back after pass the parcel and 2nd is never an option anymore, bday or not haha:focus:, Good stuff mate the puller looks the goods and wont seperate the bearing like an off shot screwdriver will causing headaches with a bearing race needing to be attacked.

Torpedo7 have em for about $100, and i now have 6 bikes sitting at home (2 dirt, 2 mini and 2 roadies) Already paid for itself (expecially if you count how much labour is these days to get anything fixed) also found its awesome for removing cush drive bushes :)

Edit: Currently on special for $79.00 ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back