How to set a new MOLKT 26mm Carby- Jet settings.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah it is.
im trying to start mine now and it isnt even starting at all. 100 main might be a bit to lean as it having trouble with the petrol getting to it and wont kick over. i put engine starter through the carby and it kicked over but it didnt really help. yous reckon i should put the #104 main back in? and the clip is one below the middle aswell, would that make much of a difference.

$45 for the molkt
the main wouldn't be affecting startup, try screwing the idle screw clockwise a bit and pull the choke, if that doesn't work maybe turn the air screw in to richen it up as that helps on mine with startup.
i have a yx150 engine.

btw my bikes now running perfect with a 102 main and clip on top, will need to step up main jet when the jets come in though so 104 would be about right I reckon, then I can move clip back to middle.

Last edited:
righto ill try that
cheers mate.
i have a GPX150 which is a yx150 and its exhaust port has just been machined/cleaned, im machining the heads next maybe, but other than that its standard (ORK, high rev CDI, 1/4 turn etc) and has a 32mm-45mm DHZ exhaust.

sounds like my engine, exhaust cleaned, intake and head port matched.

i tried starting again.
i turned the idle screw clockwise 1/4 of a turn... it failed
i then turned the air screw a 1/4 of a turn... still nothing
then i pulled the choke open... a bit of improvement, it sounded like it was capable of starting but i was kicking it over for about 2-3 mins and nothing happened
wheres the clip on your needle mrbrnz? is it 2nd from the bottom like mine or the middle or what?

yeah, once you pull the choke and it sounds like starting, push the choke back in and it'll start, don't know why but my molkt won't start with choke either, it just sounds like it then u push it back in and it'll start, my needle clip is on top.

so push the choke back in, if that doesn't work turn air screw another 1/4 turn clockwise and it should start.

its improving but now its flooded and the fuel is comin out of the tubes which means, yeah.
ill give it time to settle down, turned the fuel of. ill give it til the sarv and try again. you reckon i need to put the needle at the top? or leave it

just leave the clip for now, it shouldn't affect starting, next time you go to start it, turn your air screw all the way in and then back it out 1 full turn. It should start then, and don't play with the throttle while kicking.
I think you kicked it for too long with the choke on..
I usually try start it without choke which works most of the time, if it doesn't I just kick once or twice with choke until it sounds like firing, push choke in and it fires every time.
fuel shouldn't be coming out the tubes of the carb though?

its only a couple of drops of fuel and it coming out of the clear tubes and i think that when the bowl is overflowing of fuel (flooding) anyways thanks mate, ill follow the steps after i have some lunch haha.

Tormentandglory hit the nail on the head when he said it was fluctuating float bowl fuel levels due to faulty float needles that are causing the tuning problems with most Chinese carbs ...

IF the float level is inconsistent ... you can swap jets , alter needle clip positions , mess with the mixture and idle screws etc 'til the cows come home and STILL never get the engine running right ...

And you CAN'T use other peoples jet or setting specs either unless they tell you what their float bowl fuel level is set at ...

Someone (can't recall who) came up with the best float level info I've heard on this forum ... and that is to run the float bowl drain line up the side of the carb with the drain screw open to use the tube as an external float bowl fuel level sight glass ...

IF the level is too high or too low OR going up and down ... then you need to fix that FIRST until the fuel level stays at a constant level ... IF the FB fuel level changes ... so does the air to fuel ratio right thru the entire rev range ...

hey cactus could you define "too high, too low"?
I've heard about 5mm under the line where bowl meets carby is right?

Too high means having ANY fuel whatsoever leaking out of the overflow , air filter OR into the engine (other than thru the jets) during a ride ... even over rough terrain ... OR at a stand still ...

Too low means not enough fuel to allow the bike to run spot on without encountering fluctuations in the way the engine runs ... especially under hard braking , after landing from jumps , over ruts , during wheel stands or on start up ...

You need to "tune" the float level BEFORE touching anything else ... and it's a trial and error thing ... IF the float level is set right , the bike will start easily , idle smooth and steady and in most cases the stock jetting will miraculously work OK ...

hmmm... that's some very handy info there in relation to setting float levels... Cheers Cactus, i cant say i've heard of using the overflow as a "visible level" or reference of measurement in setting/checking float levels... May have to do a how to thread using a 3mm 90degree elbow and spare fuel line... might save a few "how do i......" questions...
God Bless Cactus, everyone... :)

Latest posts

Back