Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneezy

Reaction score
Hey guys, my sisters boyfriend has a 125 from cobb and co that thump 140 got for him before he passed away, there is no spark at all and all the wiring has been checked/replaced, so i ahve orderd a new stator and magneto etc.

Iam trying to get the old Stator off but the two **** chine screws that attached it to the motor are that tight and soft they rounded straight away, anyone know the safest and easiest way to get it out?

thanks

Kris

i can use a flywheel puller if the screws are still in =)

An impact driver and a hammer should get the two screws for the backing plate out.
If you have already rounded them off, then the fastest way would be to drill the countersunk screw heads out, Very carefully!!!

Are they counter sunk screws or do they have a head on them? If they have a head, maybe try a pair of long nose (needle nose) vice grips. Ive lost count the amount of time my small needle nose vice's have saved my butt lol

The damn things are counter sunk this is the only thing i can think of thats wrong with it not hainvg spark pics below

IMG_1429.jpg

Hey guys, my sisters boyfriend has a 125 from cobb and co that thump 140 got for him before he passed away, there is no spark at all and all the wiring has been checked/replaced, so i ahve orderd a new stator and magneto etc.

Iam trying to get the old Stator off but the two **** chine screws that attached it to the motor are that tight and soft they rounded straight away, anyone know the safest and easiest way to get it out?

thanks

Kris

should try reading the full post hey..

anyways.. use a large punch that is nearly as big as the head of the screws, give em a couple of good wacks with the hammer, keep wacking em till they become hand tight with a screw driver. if still no joy try a slightly smaller punch..

Ah, you already had the flywheel off... I'd be drilling the heads off and then removing the remainder of the screw once you have the plate off. Try to get a drill bit as close to the size of the screw head as possible; this should leave plenty of screw to get pliers onto afterwards :)

should try reading the full post hey..

Where's the fun in that?

Ah, you already had the flywheel off... I'd be drilling the heads off and then removing the remainder of the screw once you have the plate off. Try to get a drill bit as close to the size of the screw head as possible; this should leave plenty of screw to get pliers onto afterwards :)

Where's the fun in that?

well you managed to find the time to point it out to another member in rach's thread..

lol cheers sean im gonna try it again tomrrow, hopefully get it off easy, its the same as the orange 125 of toms but has stock motor in it, he was on to something though coz this bike is a nice machine

The reason the screw heads rounded off was you used the wrong sized Phillips screw driver , and you should also have used a impact driver to loosen them

try seans idea , tho if still is not going to work as i think you have butchered the heads , add some heat as well if your going to replace the stator plate , just cut a slot in the screw with a small dremil and use a flat blade impact driver with some heat as you will only have a few go's at it

remember righty tighty and lefty loosey

best oh luck , also your going to need 2 new screw , that will be tricky in its self

cheers snitchy, i got new screws with the new stator so thats all good =)

Oh and yeah i used the wrong one, i did it last night wasnt thinking straight then was like oh shiiiiiit =(

now that stator is off its time to fit the new one, quick question, does it have to be in a certain position? like to i kick it over slowly or something? or just bolt it straight on?

thanks

Sneezy

nah they only fit in one position,
make sure you put a thin smear of grease on the seal to stop it wearing prematurely, or some clean oil
just be sure to check you have .010 thou clearance between the bump on the flywheel to the pickup or you might have a weak spark if any bigger

if anyone else has the same problem with the heads of the screws rounding,

for problem screws/bolts there are a few other ways to remove,

get a sharp centre punch and punch 2 or 3 dents into the area between the philips 'slots',
it compress's the slots a bit and then tap a nice (not worn) philips head screwdriver into back in,lined up with the original slot. it can give you enough to grab and undo the head of the screw.

another 'trick' is to put a piece of 320 wet and dry paper 9coase/cutting side) to the screw head and tap the screwdriver into the head, it gives the screwdriver a little more grab. valve grinding paste works/helps too

but the best idea is make sure you use a decent screwdriver before you attempt to remove the screw,(check the screwdriver end hasnt been damaged prior to using)
a brand new stanley one can be bought individually at bunnings etc for about $7 or so.
and use the biggest screwdriver that fits correctly.
it will give you a better chance of getting them out without dramas,
oh and make sure the screwdriver is kept square to the screw head too

craig

Latest posts

Back