How To Tear Down The Head

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabomb

Reaction score
What you will need :

Allen Keys
8mm Spanner
9mm Socket
10mm Socket
Phillips Head Screwdriver
Your bike.
Some Rags.

Bolt types will vary from bike to bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------

1. Remove the 3x bolts holding the front fender on with a 8mm Spanner.
1-14.jpg

2. Remove the oil cooler with a allen key.
2-8.jpg

3. Remove all plastics and seat bolts with a phillips head screw driver.
3-7.jpg

4-2.jpg

Continues below.

Last edited:
4. Remove rear mount for exhaust with an allen key.
5-2.jpg

5. Remove the 2x 10mm nuts from the head with a 10mm spanner.
now remove the exhaust.
6-2.jpg

6. Remove the bash plate mounts on either side of the cylinder ( only if you wish to remove the cylinder too)
7-1.jpg

7. Remove the 2x 10mm bolts holding the manifold and carburetor onto the cylinder head.
8-1.jpg

Continues below.

Last edited:
8. Remove the 4x head stud bolts evenly by loosening off the bolts in a diagonal manner. (top left->bottom right->bottom left->top right).
9-1.jpg

9. Remove the main cam bolt with a 10mm socket. (Caution the cam sprocket will have nothing but a gasket holding it on, remove the cover.)
10-1.jpg

10. With the cam sprocket cover off, remove the the head to cylinder mounting bolt with a 10mm spanner.
11-1.jpg

11. Remove the 3x cam sprocket bolts to remove the cam sprocket.
Have the engine in gear and 'crack' the bolt with a 9mm socket.
Remove the cam sprocket and let the cam chain sit in the head.
12-1.jpg

Continues below.

12. The head is now ready to come off, a knocking hammer or a wooden handle of a hammer can be used to free the gasket from the head and cylinder surface. Once this is done slide the head up the head studs.
13-1.jpg

There maybe oil still in then head and it may leak, keep a rag handy.
Your done!

Last edited:
good tutorial, never atempted to take the head off my bike because i never really knew how, might have to go try it over the holidays, thanks for the tutorial

nice. should help out alot of people ,

and make people realize these engines Are Not Rocket Science!

thanks for the praise guys!
will wright up the next one 'How to tear down the cylinder' soon

OMG thanks soo much man, now i can try and repair my bike!!! i didnt think u were spose 2 unscrew the cam cog!
110% mate!!!

when you put it back together how do you make sure the timing is right?

allign the magneto T timing mark with the notch on the crankcase ( the notch is at 360 degrees at the top of the crankcase, get down to low to see it.)

then with the cam sprocket bolts removed from the cam, rotate the cam sprocket inside the cam chain until the cam sprocket dot allgins with the the notch on the head its at 270 degrees (to the left of the circle opening, if you look at the where it is on the cam sits on the head.

ahhh kk, i see, thanks for the reply mate, ill b taking the head off this week to do abit of a tidy up around the intake and exhaust ports, just wanted to make sure i can get it back together again! cheers

good job mate now im confident to do it myself cheers

A mate of mine just did this to his 150 Lifan and now that he has put it back together it has a bad rattling kind of noise coming from the head. Can anyone tell me what that means?

Latest posts

Back