How To: Wire Your Bike (Kick Start)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh dude, Ill sell you everything from engine to plug if you want. Stator, Harness, CDI, Coil and plug boot for like $30. All definitely work

how do you put pics on here mate or do u have an email and i will send it to u that way

Sorry mate, change of plans. Need to get rid of the lot. Its on ebay now. Have a look around the mini classifieds for some spare parts. Mattbombers can probably hook you up

2003 dakar 200cc dirtbike w kumbo motor

need help direct wirering my bike , i have included pic of coil, plug and wire out of motor if u can help i`d be very thinkfull :laughing-smiley-002
mememe1011

[/LEFT]
Anyways browsing this forum and needing to do it myself has shown me that alot of people seem to have problems with wiring their bike. Most users just tell people with wiring problems to find a diagram and get over it, but some people may not understand these diagrams or how to go about getting the wiring right and that is why i'm writing this tutorial. Let's get into it!

Difficulty Rating (Out of 5): **
Skills Required: Basic wiring knowledge, ability to use a soldering iron.

**UPDATE** This Tutorial does not apply to motor fitted with an aftermarket IRK or ORK, although you may still find it useful if you have the wiring diagram that came with your IRK/ORK.

**UPDATE** It has also come to my attention that some people worry about "the third wire" (the green earth wire) from the Stator/Magneto. I left this out to simplify things as your bike will run with or without it. I totally removed mine from the stator by de-soldering it as i did not want to use it and it was very long... If your earth is on a short wire with a neat terminal i would suggest that you attach it.

**UPDATE** I have been thinking about "the third wire" and the only reason i can think of why you might need it connected is if you have a charging circuit. I'm pretty sure the output in the 2 yellow wires of the stator is AC voltage... The regulator turns this to DC but i don't think it can without "the third wire" earthed. Therefore if you have a charging circuit i think you should earth this connection.

First of all the electrical system on any kick start bike will consist of the following. I think the best way to know how to fix anything is to understand how it works so i've written a brief description on each part's job and how they work together (I know its a bit of a read but please read it, If you can learn to understand your ignition system it will become easier to fix than changing a spark plug...):

CDI - Stands for Capacitor Discharge Ignition. Its like a cars ECU. It controls when the coil sparks and how much to advance the spark.

Stator/Magneto - Generates Power for the Capacitor in the CDI and tells the CDI when to Spark.

Coil - Basically a step-up transformer. It increases the voltage to a huge level so that it can jump the spark plug gap.

Kill Switch(es) - Pretty Self explanatory. But technically, The spark jumps because it wants to find the fastest way to earth (just like lightning). A kill switch provides a shorter route for the spark to get to earth and therefore the spark doesn't jump the spark plug gap.

And Probably lots of messy wires.

So while the flywheel spins the capacitor inside the CDI charges and when the Magneto/Stator tells the CDI to Spark the voltage stored by the capacitor is sent to the coil (via wires) where the voltage is increased to an extraordinary level then this travels down the lead to the spark plug where it jumps the gap to get to ground.

Ok, thats all the parts you will have and how the ignition system works from my experience.

Now to fixing/putting together your ignition system, basically:
The Stator connects to the CDI and the CDI connects to the coil. Easy as Pie...

I have found the best way to assemble your electrics is to go from the spark plug backwards.

1. So we begin with the coil. For most coils there will be two wires coming out of the coil. One will most likely be green or black with no stripes and the other wire could be black with a yellow stripe or similar (usually with a stripe). If you have a coil with two terminals, then the base of each terminal will be a different colour, most likely black and green. In both cases one wire needs to go to earth and the other must go to the CDI. Green must go to earth in both instances. To earth a wire simply attach it to the chassis of your bike. I earthed my wire by crimping and soldering a ring terminal on then placing the ring terminal under the nut which holds the coil to the bike. As for the other wire it should have some connector on the end which will go to the CDI (More on that Later). Here is an image of mine (Notice the wire colours and connector for the CDI):
Coil.jpg

2. Next in line is the stator, Very easy this step, just ensure you have two wires coming from the stator one will be blue with a white stripe and the other will be black with a red stripe. Make sure there are connectors on the end. Both these wires will connect to the CDI.

3.Where you choose to mount the CDI is up to you but remember if you are mounting it far away from the stator or coil you may need to add more wire. You can do this by soldering more wire in. Remember to always cover any exposed solders or joins using heat shrink tubing or electrical tape. Also when routing the wires along the bike be sure not to pass the wire near any pinch points or anywhere the wire may rub. If a wire becomes exposed during a ride , it is unlikely it will cause severe damage but it will almost certainly end your day of riding fun and cause much frustration while you are looking for a tiny bit of missing insulation causing an arc on the frame...

At this stage we have 3 wires which must connect to the CDI wiring harness:

Black with Yellow Stripe from Coil
Blue with White stripe from Stator/Magneto
Black with Red Stripe from Stator/Magneto

Hopefully you harness will have the connections which will plug directly into these three wires. If the connectors do not match it is a simple job to solder matching connections onto the wires. To simplify things i made this diagram showing the wires when connected correctly to the CDI wiring harness.
Wire-Diag.png

4. At this stage your bike is very close to being able to start, but first we must add a kill switch. As you have probably guessed this is what the remaining two terminals in the CDI wiring harness are used for. Wiring in the kill switch is pretty easy. As can be seen in the diagram simply take the wire from the middle terminal in the and connect or solder it to the switch then take the other wire from the switch and earth it to the chassis. If you are wiring a kill switch on the handlebars ensure you leave enough wire slack to be able to turn the handlebars without breaking the wire. With the final remaining terminal you need to earth it to the chassis. For all my earths I simply used crimped and soldered ring terminals.
Wire-Diag2.png

5. Now you need to plug the CDI wiring harness into the CDI and mount your CDI in place. Finally you should double check all you connections and ensure that there are no bare wires or left over wires or wires that could rub or break.
CDI-DONE.jpg

Hope I helped Someone...
If You Guys like this tutorial I can do another for electric start bikes and i was thinking of doing a tutorial on how to add/remove your starter motor (and Battery).
Please Post Any Questions and Feedback on My Tutorial as Well as any Errors I have made.

Thanks

Another member isaacbaker64 is having a few troubles with the wiring of his bike. These are the image he has sent me:
isaacbaker64-albums-my-pics-neon-dude-picture300-coil.jpg

isaacbaker64-albums-my-pics-neon-dude-picture302-engine-wires.jpg

isaacbaker64-albums-my-pics-neon-dude-picture303-reg-rectifier.jpg

isaacbaker64-albums-my-pics-neon-dude-picture301-cdi.jpg

The best way to go about it is to do it seperately in 2 parts. First up you have your ignition which is what will make the bike run, then you have you charging set-up which will do your lights/battery.

Let's do the ignition first:
The important wires coming from your engine are the red/black and white/blue. Ignore the rest. The CDI has the wires in the correct position so you can go ahead and join black/red from the motor to the back/red of the CDI then do the same for the Blue/white. Next up we want to take the CDI output and connect it to the coil and earth the coil. You need to connect the black/yellow from the CDI to the TERMINAL on the CDI. There will (probably) also be another wire on the CDI just put a ring terminal on that and attach it to the frame somewhere. If there isn't another wire the CDI must be earthed by the mounts so you won't need to do anything else. Good news, the wiring is now complete for your bike to start (but not stop :p). Green wire of the CDI must be earthed (ring terminal, attach to frame) the remaining black wire must go to the kill switch.

Charging Set-up:
The important wires are the white and the yellow from the engine. The manufacturer chose really bad colours for those reg wires as black and green are both standard colours for earth... You will have to disconnect both the green and black and test with a multimeter to find out which is positive and which is negative. Connect the white to white and the yellow to yellow.

Lastly:
You need to connect the GREEN not the GREEN/RED from the motor to earth and make sure that the GREEN/RED is insulated any not able to contact and metal (It's for a neutral light I believe).

That should be about it. It will run after the ignition is set up but make sure you disconnect the regulator first because if it is hooked up wrong you will kill the regulator.

Any more troubles just post back to this thread and myself or another member will give you a hand :).

need help direct wirering my bike , i have included pic of coil, plug and wire out of motor if u can help i`d be very thinkfull :laughing-smiley-002
mememe1011

Hey mate, I'm not familiar with the 6 wire :(. I will have a look around and see what I can find.

Hey guys,
I have a electric/kick start atomik 250cc

It has had no spark and stalled everytime I got it running

I stripped the loom and made a new one running off your diagram
It still won't fire though. I have A big spark now.
But it sill won't fire
I'll make a short vid of the spark I'm getting and could you tell me if Its enough?

Also I have 4 wires left over.
2 green earths (joined together) -should I earth them separated
1 yellow- could be kill switch?(didn't wire one)
1 white- ???
1 black/white- ??

Ok so the yellow wire and the white wire are coming from the stator I think it is
Same with one green.

The black and white is coming from the cdi unit..- what does it do?

I'm going to snip the greens and earth them to te hassis
But wat about the other three?
I upload piks now

Cheers

Also sorry about the mini dig

Last edited:
Ok sorry bout the crap vid.
So hard to do 3 things at once:p
Film, crank hold plug haha
b1ddf685.jpg

Ok this one is the yellow and the white wires (middle 2)
3642200b.jpg

db7fecf7.mp4

Ok vid won't work
Dw bout the video then.
Do u guys recon it's one of the loose wires.. Or the carby

It's a new coil n plug btw

Could the cdi be fried?

From your description above, Yellow and white are typically for the regulator. Greens should be earth (you can leave them together but you should earth make sure they are mounted to the metal of the frame (scratch some paint off). If the black/white comes from the CDI then it should be the kill switch. Remember this is all just 'Typically' who knows whether the manufacturers follow the spec or not...

But if you are getting spark across the plug gap that should be good enough (If the gap is around 0.8mm). Just put a little bit of fuel in the carby and then turn it over (with the plug in) and see if it fires. If it does then fuel is obviously the problem. Sounds like the wiring is fine.

thanks for the reply
i finally got the bike to start.
i re-earthed the 2 green wires

and i got it to start
i put start u bastard
and a **** load of fuel straight thru the carby
and after a fair few kicks it started.
but then died straight after the fuel bured that i sprayed in their (im gurssing)

so i pulled off the carby and their was fuel going into it

so its got me **n stuffed

any ideas?

I have a Kazuma 200cc with a 6pin cdi. All the wiring has been removed and just want to use it as a dirt bike using the kick start. I dont need lights,signals,horn. Can I use the same diagram? It does have two green wires coming out of the cdi. Can I just ground them?

[jonnoo];362292 said:
thanks for the reply
i finally got the bike to start.
i re-earthed the 2 green wires

and i got it to start
i put start u bastard
and a **** load of fuel straight thru the carby
and after a fair few kicks it started.
but then died straight after the fuel bured that i sprayed in their (im gurssing)

so i pulled off the carby and their was fuel going into it

so its got me **n stuffed

any ideas?

an engine needs 3 things to run, fuel, oxygen and an ignition source
so you have spark already and it runs when you pump fuel into the carby so you have a supply oxygen getting in the only thing left is the carby.

loosen the screw that drains the bowl(bottom of the carby)if no fuel the float, needle or seat may have stuck or be blocked. if fuel pours out turn the fuel off and let it all drain out, pull the carby off remove the slide and inspect the brass needle and seat for a blockage or damage/worn if it all looks good re-assemble, fill with fuel and start kicking.

another electrical problem

Can you help me with our mini bike 125cc Pitster pro:
This is a kick start no battery system

Problem: Won't start
This is what we have done so far:
-replaced fuel
-cleaned air filter
-verified good fuel flow into carb
- replaced spark plug
- Don't think we are getting any spark.
-don't think there is any voltage going to coil
- measured voltage coming out of stator when turned with a drill. Only measured mili-volts. Should it be more? We did not turn it real fast.

We have ordered a new cdi hasn't arrived yet. I'm still wondering about the stator. It doesn't seem like a kick start would turn the stator fast enough to generate enough electricity for a spark.

The kill switch has been disconnected. The person we bought it from has tried to install blinkers and tail light to make street legal. So the wiring seems to be all hacked up. Although it did start and run at their house (person we bought it from) It just hasn't run since we brought it home.

Help me be the hero Dad that can fix anything.

thanks!
Spark-less Sparky

Latest posts

Back