Idle problem...high rev with choke on, dies when choke off

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys ive got 125cc orion X model. Its got a stock carb, k & n air filter, hi rev CDI, high performance coil.

Recently after i put the high performance stuff on it started to red line after a cold start with the choke on. When i would shut the choke off it would die. after it would get warmed up it would idle very sporadically. The throttle is sticky but when its free it still idles sporadically. When i adjust the idle to the left 1/16 of a turn it starts to die.

It is not an air leak i have already checked that

I can provide pictures of anything if you need them just let me know

Thanks for the help in advance

did you change from a foam filter to the K&N ?
the carby could need adjusting to suit the new filter.

have you had the top of the carby off lately?

some of the cheap CDIs can play up too.

can you substitute some of your original components back onto it, one at a time, to see what fixes it?

i wonder if your high rev CDI is living up to it's name ???

If the throttle is sticking where abouts is it sticking? Slide,cable or throttle could have something to do with the high revving, as for the sporadic idle sounds like a tune, but have you tried the stock cdI?

like above, did you pull the top off the carby or dismantle it at all, a common thing to see is the carby slide being put in the wrong way around.

Otherwise I'd be freeing up that throttle asap. And then tune it to correct the idle.

ya i changed from a stock "K&N style" filter to a real K&N filter and ya ive pulled off the carb recently, i changed my CDI because my original one burned up from the heat of the pipe which messed up the whole electrical system leading to me replacing it all with better stuff. as for a sticky throttle i cant tell where it is. when i pull it, it almost sloses completely but then stops then i have to rev it a couple times to get it unstuck.

the sticky throttle may be caused by the throttle/grip being pushed onto the handlebars too much?
try loosening the bolts/screws holding it to the bars and slide it outwards a touch.
then retighten them.

let us know how you go?

Latest posts

Back