Info on Atomik MotoX70

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastus

Reaction score
G'day guys. New poster on here. I am looking at the Atomik MotoX70 for my 10 yr old little fella. He has never ridden before. I am from the past a traily and enduro rider so can teach him. What I am mainly interested in is the reliability of these chinese machines. I have not heard any really bad comments towards them eg, Atomik, Orion or TDR. As a mechanic I know everything is not perfect. Read thew forums on here and drawing mixed reactions. But am wondering which is best suitable. The Atomik to me looks like a fairly decent type of machine. The TDR and Orion look like little mini beasts with the 10 inch wheels. I am swaying towards the Atomik due to wheel size and my son's swaying for looks. Which we all know looks come last so to speak. Any feedback on the Atomik would be extremely appreciated as I cannot find much on the net regarding them as per durability and such. Of course I realise they are not built to the same standards as the euro or jap machines but as he is just starting out I don't want to spend a great deal to get set up. If he goes into the sport as much as I did then I'll look at high priced machinery. Thank's for taking the time to read this and I look very favourably and objective to any replies.

Rgds Rastus.

Last edited:
if you're a mechanic you should be fine with the atomik. just don't overpay for it. it's all relative, price/quality. I have an atomik nitrous and I'm very impressed with the quality, but that doesn't speak much considering it's a different model and could be made in a different factory altogether.

it all depends how you treat them. We have one guy on here with a motovert which is classed as quite a good bike, and the bugger breaks every few days.....

i used to own that exact bike.

not one problem
not one!
(oh wait the chain snapped)

very reliable for a youngster
i think they still run the ducar 70cc engine. if so its fine and doesnt need much maintainence.

I really appreciate this feed back. My son will only be learning on it and won't be going fast. From what I have read on the DUCAR engines I understand that they are a copy from Honda. Correct me if I am wrong. The price I can get the Atomik for is $749.00 AUD crated. Shipping from Victoria to Brisbane here is $95.00 AUD. So for that price I find a startup for my son quite cheap. We already have all the riding gear so he shoulde be right to go when we get it. Once again I thank you so much for your educated replies and am still looking forward to comments on this bike and the others I mentioned.
Rgds Rastus.

They are ok bikes and similar to most cheaper end china's

Watch them on ebay Atomik sell them via Auction and you can get a bargin, a mate got a 150 big foot for $750.00 which is a bargin.

The #1 thing to do is check all the bolts and lock tight them so they dont rattle free, The quality of the bolts is not the best and I have seen the heads sheer off on two different atomik Moto X 125's. They were not be ridden by 10 years old however!
For the money they are great deal, you would be paying $3300 for a CRF70 or nearly $4000 for a crf80.

Atomik, TDR, Orion aren't great bikes for yourself to ride on and do jumps ect. But your lil fella will be alright if hes not going to race and jump.

I'll be trying to get it at a cheaper price. Like $500 (without postage). You can get them that cheap, just have to be patient. Postage isn't/won't be negotionalble becuase they suck.

Heres one ending soon for only $200 so far:
NEW ATOMIK MOTOX 70CC PIT DIRT BIKE MOTOR THUMPSTAR - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 20-Sep-09 20:00:52 AEST)

But don't pay $700 for one as its to much.

Like most bikes parts are going to have to be replaced, espacially for a beginer with all the crashing ect. CHECK all bolts befor riding.

Goodluck with it.

when i was 13 it as a bike after my pw50 with only lasted 3 months when i was 10 and it blew up.. went some time saved up and bought the atomik.
seriously i flogged it and loved it
i just did the usual maintenance myself and yeh never had problems.. i only did small jumps but it was fine then my brother got it and he did the same.. 3 yrs later i sold it to a guy to give to his young guy and i was confident it would still go for a while yet.

Thank's guys for the excellent feedback. Whenever I buy a vehicle I check it out fully anyway and change all filters and fluids and check everything. I had a look at the bike that Bulldog93 recommended but bidding had closed on it. I notice that the company in Victoria have them on the net all the time as I have been watching E-Bay and will bid on them shortly. I would like to get the little fella a KTM in the future as being a Euro car mechanic I love my Euro vehicles. Now, Now No fighting kids....HA HA HA HA.
They are just so more better than the Jap or other equivalents in design and manufacture. I used to ride a Yamaha IT 490 and XT600 Tenere years ago. The 490 was one hell of a beast especially when it hit the band. OMG it would launch you like the Space Shuttle. I have had 24 bikes over the years. Both road and trail/enduro.
Rgds RASTUS.

Last edited:
mate i might give you reps just for having survived YZ490 ownership. Awesome, scary scary fast bikes. :)
There are KTM65 copy 4-stroke bikes on ebay, look like the real deal, selling for around $1100, but it sounds like your young fella may be a bit young yet.. It's always good to own something quirky.

Goodluck with it mate. Get the bike off eBay as you can get them cheaper than buying it from a store (atomik) and postage isn't that much just remember to get travel insurance for it;)

First and most important loctite then change the oil straight away. Keep us posted mate.

Thanks Thump140 for your reply. Yes the IT 490 was one hell of a scary ride but once mastered it was a weapon upon itself. I won a lot of enduros on it. I won't be updating him until he learns to ride properly. He can already ride a PW50 ok. I saw the copies of the KTM but I'll get him the real deal if he decides to keep going. I am sure he will as he's like me..... Once bitten the bug grows. I think the ATOMIK is the way to go via all the feedback I have been getting. Time to start bidding on E-Bay.
Rgds RASTUS.

Will do Bulldog. cheers bloke.
Rgds RASTUS.

yeah i had an IT then a WR5 when i was a bit younger...awesome bikes.. :) except when they "ran-on"...
ah memories.... ;)

I used to ride the IT for short hops and the Tenere for longer ones. I have had 24 bikes over the years from road to off-road. 45 now and still riding. I'll see how the little guy goes and get him a KTM if he want's to keep going and will be ok. He's a bit like me...Bitten by the bug and hooked.....:p Thank's for all the feedback it looks like the Atomik is the way to go. I'll start bidding for one. BTW has anyone got an IT490 for sale in Brisbane ???????? I'd love another one to play with...
Rgds RASTUS.

Last edited:
They are ok bikes and similar to most cheaper end china's

Watch them on ebay Atomik sell them via Auction and you can get a bargin, a mate got a 150 big foot for $750.00 which is a bargin.

The #1 thing to do is check all the bolts and lock tight them so they dont rattle free, The quality of the bolts is not the best and I have seen the heads sheer off on two different atomik Moto X 125's. They were not be ridden by 10 years old however!
For the money they are great deal, you would be paying $3300 for a CRF70 or nearly $4000 for a crf80.

I got an Atomik MotoX 125 for $500 off eBay. Apart from a broken chain (my fault) it's been perfect.

Got the little fella an Atomik 70 S/A

Well thanks for all the feed back and info guys.
I got the little bloke a green Atomik 70cc semi auto off E-Bay. Due in stock on the 30th of October. Got it for $500.00. We are joining the Stanmore Rd motorbike club at Yatala.
I went down the local bike shops looking at new bikes. The Suzuki was $2690 and the PW80 was $2674. One of the guys told me he was getting in a used PW80 I could have for $1600. I more or less told the bloke I was worried about seat height and not needing an expensive bike for a learner, as Mitchell (my son) is a little bugger atm. We will see how we go. But for the cost of the Jap bikes I can get 3 to 4 of these Atomiks. Of course if and when he does start getting competitive I'll have to obviously get something bigger and better. As I like my Euro cars well there is only one way to go......KTM. Once again thanks for your help to all. I won't be a stranger on here.Hope to see some of you down at Yatala.

Last edited:
Good work mate. Should get some pics up of the little grom on the bike:). Hope he has many happy days riding :D:D.

No chinese bikes allowed at Stanmore RD MX track

Hey guys.
As you know I got the little bloke his Atomik. Emailed off to Stanmore MX club at Yatala and just got home now to find an email that they do not allow chinese bikes at the track due to safety reasons as per the design of these machines. I fully understand where they are coming from. They suggest I join Nudgee club as the grounds there are flat and they allow them there for learners. Ho hum. Well I'll email Nudgee now and keep ya posted.

safety reasons?? public liability reasons more likely... thing is, a good rider on an Atomik, will be no less in danger to him or herself, than some noob squid on a brand new YZ85....
sorry but this shits me to tears... Rastus i'm sorry to hear the narrow minded mentality of some club secretary or similar has prevented you and your boy from tearing it up together... sadly gone are the days where blokes such as you an me, were taken out scrub by our dear old dads, thrown on an innappropriate bike and taught the ropes.... nowadays it's all "sorry, you might get hurt and sue us, thus we cannot allow you to ride".....
Hope you can find an alternative venue that is smart enough to realise that it's the rider, not the bike that will hurt themselves, and you and your boy can get down to riding...

Latest posts

Back