Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 11561

Reaction score
Hey!
I have a IRK (Inner Rotor Kit) fitted on my 140 Linfan engine. I use the bike for motarding so the IRK should be the bees knee! It have been running fine (I think!) I don't know how to adjust correctly so have just adjusted it until it started easy and ran sorta okay! It now seems that after app. 4 hours of use the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) have died! It started out with moving the rev limit a bit down then more and more - now it maxes out at 1/4 throttle! Do I need to buy a whole new set or is there another CDI I can use?
But to the title:

IRK vs ORK for motard? Found these two :
IRK: NEW DHZ SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT INNER ROTOR KIT, OIL SLING - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Mar-09 10:47:39 AEDST)
ORK:NEW OUTER ROTOR KIT PERFORMANCE CDI UNIT WIRING KIT - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 12-Mar-09 00:46:41 AEDST)
In regards to quality, pay more and get better quality? Also analog/digital? I found the above that is fairly cheap and then these two:
One is $495.95 other $725
Big 50 Race and Retro Parts
Would it be recommended to get a qualified mechanic to do the timing? Or can I buy some simple tools and do it my self?

COIL: Big50.com.au have also race coils, any good compared the standard?

CDI: Again, pay more and get better quality? Is one with different setting better and in what situation would it be handy? Have seen some with DIP switches!

TDC: (Top Dead Center) Is there a picture/video that shows how to fin or how to find it?

Both myself and no_crf50_here have had the IRK CDI die on us after a short time. Annoyingly you can't buy them on their own and have to buy the entire IRK each time they die.

Londin I'll show you how to do TDC if you want. I'm in Southbank four days a week if you can come and pick me up. We can also test to see if it really is your CDI.

Both myself and no_crf50_here have had the IRK CDI die on us after a short time. Annoyingly you can't buy them on their own and have to buy the entire IRK each time they die.

Londin I'll show you how to do TDC if you want. I'm in Southbank four days a week if you can come and pick me up. We can also test to see if it really is your CDI.

I found a video that sorta tells you how to find it and how to adjust the valves! It's for a CRF50 but should be the same!

Outer rotor GPX 150

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys but I'm just wondering how much damage or how much less reliability an outer rotor kit brings to your engine.

I'm looking at getting a GPX150 which comes stock with an outer rotor kit, i will be doing some motard riding and a bit of off road riding. It is my first engine, so i want it to be reliable.

I spoke to Buzz bikes and they said that the outer rotor kits sometimes cause the engines to be uneven and then they need to be rebalanced.
Whats the deal guys? Should i get this engine with or without the rotor kit?
Cheers Nic :)

^ Better to have an old thread brought up then a new one made. Don't be sorry.

I was under the impression that GPX engines were better than Lifan, after all are they not the engines from motoverts?

GPX/YX engines are good but so are lifans, i know that 140 lifans are better than the YX140 (so i've heard)...

all good mate ;) couldn't be any more happer to help...got me in a good mood read some of the threads :) thanks for the great read tassi.

BEFORE you go pulling any engine that has an unmarked flywheel apart ... first line the mark on the cam sprocket up with the indexing mark on the head ... then with a permanent marker pen ... put a mark somewhere on a fixed point of the stator or backing plate and another mark on the flywheel/rotor dead lined up with the that mark ... Once that's done you can make them permanent with a light centre punch dot ... that way you'll never have any problems with cam to crank timing OR finding TDC ...

At the end of the day after reading all that pitbull posted i have come to this conclusion.

GPX 150 is great power out of the box and has many mods that can be done to it, but that are not really necessary for a beginner. These engines should not be revved off there t*ts as they can not deal with it over long periods of times (which engines can though).

Lifan 150 also great out of the box, but not many mods to upgrade power output. Also have many gearbox problems problems.

Still after some other peoples opinions guys, some personal experiences with either of these engines. I will not be revving it out, as I am a new rider and believe that the power output of the GPX 150 should last me a long time, which is why I am leaning towards that.
Cheers Nic

Latest posts

Back