Is the spark from the spark plug only to start the bike?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThisGuy

Reaction score
Is the spark from the spark plug only to start the bike? Does a continuous spark from the spark plug occur as you ride? Noob question...:LAME:

Constant spark at all times (once per engine cycle) :)

So if you get a spark bike starts and your riding and your ignition coil moves a little and the spark stops...your bike stops too?

where the coil mounts to the frame, is usually an earth point for the coil.
if the mount is loose, the coil may not always get a good earth,
if this is the case then you wont get a spark from the coil, down to the spark plug.

always make sure where the coils' metal mounting bracket touches the frame, that it is to clean bare metal, some grease on the metal will help to stop corrosion too.

some coils have 2x wires going to them also, one is the power from the cdi (black w/yellow stripe) the other is earth (green).
the earth wire is connected to the engine at the other end, usually via the magneto/stator plate.

Last edited:
Every four strokes there's ignition, well third but you get the jist!

38E84BB6-25C6-4F62-A86B-A9B0E89D2D6E-2528-00000204A061A5C6_zpsa7d310e0.jpg

^^^^^. And what he said.... :p

Last edited:
where the coil mounts to the frame, is usually an earth point for the coil.
if the mount is loose, the coil may not always get a good earth,
if this is the case then you wont get a spark from the coil, down to the spark plug.

always make sure where the coils' metal mounting bracket touches the frame, that it is to clean bare metal, some grease on the metal will help to stop corrosion too.

some coils have 2x wires going to them also, one is the power from the cdi (black w/yellow stripe) the other is earth (green).
the earth wire is connected to the engine at the other end, usually via the magneto/stator plate.

How do I make sure I have a constant spark because sometimes I get a spark and other times I dont. On the times I dont I have to push all the wires in and it works again. How do I avoid doing this?

Fix it would be the obvious thing with some tape or glue, secondly get new electrics.

Or solder the wires together, the Chinese connectors are junk and have a habit of poor connectivity.

Or solder the wires together, the Chinese connectors are junk and have a habit of poor connectivity.

Thats exactly what im going to do thanks! Its a good thing I learned how to solder in 7th grade! :hump:

Latest posts

Back