J3NNINGS's z160 perimeter build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3NNINGS_024

Reaction score
hey all, this should be a quick build as i've already got half of it finished. About 1 1/2 years ago i finished a build with my perimeter frame but overtime i got sick of the little yx 150's power and the bike in general started to look like it's seen better days. i pulled the bike back to the bare frame and started to rebuild it from the ground up.....again. a few things had to be altered to fit like the oil cooler and exhaust. i had to drill and tap new holes so the oil cooler could fit. i also got the turning stop thing behind the headstem braced because i snaped it off twice. the exhaust has to be all welded up too. the header is goin to be like a fmf megabomb header mainly because i'd like it to be different from the normal exhaust. there will be no power gain IMO but it will look cool lol. i would have bought a bbr d2 zorst but just didnt have the coin at the time. when its done she should be a fast and fun ride. pics were taken with a camera phone, not bad i reckon.

here's a few pics of how she stands now and what parts ive got.

enjoy:)

parts list:
-aluminium perimeter frame from Fusion Power Products
-z160 ho pitster pro engine
-GPX forged kick starter
-OKO 26mm flatty
-GPX black lable forks
-Pro Taper klx low rise bars
-pro grips
-red foldable levers
-1/8 turn throttle
-braided throttle and clutch cables
-red billet hubs with alloy rims
-carlsbad tyres
-rim lock (rear only)
-single piston front brake (red)
-HD oil cooler
-DNM 1000lb 280mm remote resovior rear shock
-bbr D-section copy exhaust
-fuel tank to suit perimeter frame
-seat
-all the plastics

stuff to order:
-cnc triple clamps
-zoo york graphics kit
-D.I.D chain
-exhaust heat wrap
-kill switch
-magentic drain plug
-NGK Iridium IX spark plug
-hour meter
-GPX rear brake
-rear brake pedal
-OKO jets
-red maifold adaptor

its great what a bit of brasso can do. nice and shiney:)
DSC00025.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00027.jpg
[/IMG]

pic of most of the parts to go on
DSC00029.jpg
[/IMG]

looks like a great build mate.

will the standard manifold fit or do you need to change it due to the angle.(carb may hit the frame)

looks great, the onlyy thing i can see is that i think the swinga and the frame clash, although i think its a special swinger and thats the only type you can get? not sure... but it will look great never the less.
what are you going to do with the zorst? are you going to drill the actual holes inside the 'chamber' like in the real ones or is it all for looks?

looks like a great build mate.

will the standard manifold fit or do you need to change it due to the angle.(carb may hit the frame)

yeah sean, the carb dosent fit with the manifold that came with the z160 . thats why im usin the old maifold off the yx150 and a manifold adaptor.

cheers everyone, glad you guys like the build :thumbup:

should be finished within the month:D

looks great, the onlyy thing i can see is that i think the swinga and the frame clash, although i think its a special swinger and thats the only type you can get? not sure... but it will look great never the less.
what are you going to do with the zorst? are you going to drill the actual holes inside the 'chamber' like in the real ones or is it all for looks?

nah mate the swinger and frame are fine. i've hit decent jumps with it and it's all good. and yes the header is going to have holes driled in it but its still mainly for looks haha

nah mate the swinger and frame are fine. i've hit decent jumps with it and it's all good. and yes the header is going to have holes driled in it but its still mainly for looks haha

haha i meant looks, i know itd be fine but i reacon a black swinga would set the bike off, but thats just me.
good work with the build though.

haha i meant looks, i know itd be fine but i reacon a black swinga would set the bike off, but thats just me.
good work with the build though.

hahah ahk mate i know what ya talkin about now haha. never thought about a coloured swinger. i'll look into more.

yes thats the one they all use on the klx's but i still thought it suck out to the side a bit... might still be enuff though.
well that is whats hes talking about anyway.

I havent been able to find a carby and mani combo that will clear with an oko carb, the stock mani will clear with a molkt carb.

As for your exhaust, I think you might find it will fit better if you chop out a bit of the pipe in between the two sections (just over the engine) I bought a genuine bbr exhaust for a klx perimeter frame and found that it was too long, just the same as yours, a quick cut with a hack saw and finish with the file and she fits like new...

I havent been able to find a carby and mani combo that will clear with an oko carb, the stock mani will clear with a molkt carb.

As for your exhaust, I think you might find it will fit better if you chop out a bit of the pipe in between the two sections (just over the engine) I bought a genuine bbr exhaust for a klx perimeter frame and found that it was too long, just the same as yours, a quick cut with a hack saw and finish with the file and she fits like new...

my exhaust is for a engine with crf ports so i had to cut it where i did. if i had cut it where you said to cut it, it would stiil be way out.

i had a yx 150 with a oko flatty in the frame a while back which fit fine.....the filter was a bit hard to get on but it fit fine.

update: just ordered a hole heap of bits n peices from dhz today. should get em by the end of the week:applaudit:

maybe you should try cutting it where I told you as well then you will find the rear mount hole will line up.

insted of making a new thread, i thought i'd ask a question in the build thread. anyways i got my yx150 head ported and valves machined and all. i bought a auto de-comp cam off dhz to go in it, but when i put it in the cam lobe that works the rocker for the intake valve sits only on about half the rocker. but the exhaust is fine.

i compared it to the stock cam and the lobes sit further apart on the de-comp cam. i thought that the de-comp cam i bought suits my yx150 head? can i run the de-comp cam the way it is or do i have to buy another cam? if so, can someone point me in the right dirction to buy one (preferably a high lift cam)

i'll throw up a few pics later to show ya's what im talking about

got a bunch of parts from dhz yesterday :D. my mate finished making the megabomb look-a-like. its smaller than its suposed to be as my mate made it 60mm long insted of 70mm. all i have to do is tack it up with the arc welder then take it to school to weld it with the mig as i dont have a mig. i used the manifold adaptor so the carb and filter fit great now inside the frame, which is what i wanted. all i have to get now are triple clamps, graphics and a plastics set (i think? lol). im really stoked how well its coming together. should be finished real soon. here's a few pics of progress. enjoy;)

DSC00039.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00052.jpg
[/IMG]

if you want to know why there is a long peice of yellow and green wire, its because the earth was too short.
DSC00056.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Back