Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, shaving off all the discoloured and chalky plastic, the original colour is come back slowly.
i reckon it'll end up needing .5mm to be taken off all up, then polished

yeah it is a bit, but beats paying out big money for a new part

this is the JR50 tank with a bit of scraping done

006-17.jpg

that looks heaps better, i can see why you dont mind putting the hours in :) i suppose with jap bike's spare parts prices it really pays to be good at renewing old parts

very interesting stuff! Loveing your sonda blast! setup. :)

cheers, it's slowly getting done when i get the chance to work on it.

i soda blasted the stator cover the other day, it was chipped and the bike had been sitting in the weather, the corrosion had started getting under the paint.

gave it a quick scuff back with 180 freecut paper to remove any paint i missed,

then etch primed it but i've lost that pic, here it is all painted and ready to be refitted,

here is the rear fender off the PY80,
the plastic is pretty chalky and a bit scratched up, i gave it a first scrape back this morning with a new stanley knife blade.
it's a messy job, and the shavings seem to stick everywhere due to static electricity, luckily for me it's windy here atm, there's a storm coming later this evening
once i get the majority of the chalky stuff off, i'll go over it again with a finer sharper blade

this is the first pass on this side,

Didn't even think about shaving plastics back for reuse.

Just with the tank, you would have to be really careful not to take too much off yeah?

yeah the tanks are about 3mm thick, and shaving it it would take off .5mm or so where the scratches are,
but i am pretty careful around the corners not to take too much off.
it's a common practice shaving back plastics and then polishing them with the VMX bike's, most owners like myself prefer original plastics over repro stuff
but i'd like to replace my IT200 plastics with NOS items if i could afford them... and they do seem to pop up on ebay every now and then
some of the DC repro's are pretty bad mouldings, or the items they've copied them off were warped etc

if you do have a crack in your tank you can get a kit that you can line them with, you prep it with their products, then pour the liner in, and turn the tank over/around etc to spread it out.
it seals the tank better than new, i think it was designed for military use

Last edited:
Thats looking good! How's the 155 going? In bike and running yet?

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk

the painted up stator cover is back on

i have a spare TTR front number plate sitting on it atm too

i cleaned up the rest of the chalky stuff off the rear fender and gave it a quick rub back
and decided to paint it due to the dodgy blue colour matches on the bike.
i reckon i will paint the rest to match

i took the expansion chamber off and blasted the rust etc and resprayed it

and also made up a pipe to join the expansion chamber to the old DS80 custom muffler

Last edited:
thanks,
still got a lot more to do to it yet.
blast and respray the head, the clutch cover, foot pegs and mount, side stand, as well as the swinger
will be fixing the rear puncture at the same time, and probably clean up the rear wheel to while i'm at it.

i'll be respraying the plastics too

today i took the rear wheel off to fix the puncture and clean up the wheel,
but the tube was ripped next to the valve.
i gave the rusty chrome a good sand back with 80 grit, then some 180 followed by 320
got a few chrome flakes in my hands too.
once the rim was done i gave the hub and spokes a sandblast to clean them up, and etch primed the lot

i have resprayed it satin black for the moment, will see how it looks when it's back together.
i pulled the rear brake drum off, along with the sprocket and hub, gave them a blast, etch primed them then painted them black too.
the pivot arm and shaft for the brakes was corroded up and seized in the brake backing plate, so i took it apart, cleaned and painted all those bits too

just waiting for the paint to dry now so i can reassemble it all, then it's just the swingarm to do for the rear end.
i started sanding it back last night.

did a bit more to it today,
i relocated the top shock mount another 25mm rearward to raise the back end a bit

standard

new mounting hole drilled

it would have made the front chain slider rub on the chain,

so i lowered the swingarm pivot point on the frame 25mm

i made a new h/duty tube to weld into the lower mounting point and welded it in

no clearance problems now, i can still extend the rear shock more too

Latest posts

Back