Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my67xr

Miniriders Legend and Master Spanner Spinning Mode
Reaction score
here is a rusty Jianshe Coyote PY80 i have just picked up
it is a china copy of the world famous Yamaha PW80.

i bought this one cheap, paid $110 for it as is
it has been sitting outside on someones verandah for the last few years, and has developed a Tin Worm infection (surface rust)

i plan to do a slow strip down and repair/respray/replace what's needed over the next 6-12 months.
i'll be getting it back up and running so Cj has a bigger bike to ride when he is a bit taller, and ready to tackle gears etc

overall it is pretty much all there, the only parts i have found missing were the rear axle and spacers, and the head gasket.
also missing was the idle speed screw and mixture screw, which i had some spares in my carby box.
it came with a new front fender, but the old owner couldn't fit it as the bolts had rusted in.

after temporarily fitting the back wheel on using a DS80 axle, i checked it over.
i pulled the fuel bowl off and found it was full of old 2 stroke oil, it smelt pretty bad!
the Main and Pilot jets only required a degrease and blow out to clean them up
next thing i found was the fuel tap was blocked.
i took it out of the tank and started to drain the contents out.
i reckon about 2 litres of water first come out, followed by about a litre of old 2 stroke oil.
the previous owner did tell me it had a full tank, he didn't mention of what !!

carby was ready to go now, so i added a fuel line and filled the fuel bowl.
i gave it a kick and it got harder the further i went down.
so i pulled to spark plug out and found it was wet with oil.
i think the oil premix had drained and filled the engine with oil.
after giving it quite a few kicks over i had a air bit of oil on the front wheel and ground.
i decided to pull the head off to make it easier to clean out.
the whole bottom end was full of oil.
it took a lot of kicking it over, degreasing and more kicking, i think the majority of it is now out.
i went to fit the head back on but couldn't find the head gasket anywhere,
maybe it didn't have one, but there are definate marks on the head and barrel when it had been at one stage.

so this morning i pulled the seat, rear fender and tank off to clean the up/out.
i might disconnect the oil tank too while i suss the engine condition out, and run it on pre mix.

yeah it does, but i have a lot of time before he/we need it, so that's ok.
and there is a bit more to add to the thread, but i'll do it when i get a chance

i need to go out and tune my XR Fairmont ready for stoozos' Wedding tomorrow!

Last edited:
I knew it!!!

Can't wait to see what you do with this, going off your PW50, this is going to be one awesome PY80 :) I imagine genuine PW80 items would be a straight up fit?

Congrats Stu, Good on you :)

Congrats stu!!!!
craig i hope you do a wedding burnout :p.... on closed course of course... ;)
yeah, looks like you've piked up a real gem.... it will be interesting to see how this py80 turns out...

damo my car can't do burnouts !

well, maybe it can ???!!
i only worked out the other day my engine isn't even run in yet,
i reckon it's done about 5000 miles since it's rebuild in 1992/3 ?

yeah, looks like you've piked up a real gem....

and by a gem ^^, do you mean it looks like it's been buried underground for the last few years ? :cheeky-smiley-005:

nah, it won't be happening,
that's why my car used to get taken out to Adelaide International Raceway years ago.

my back tyres are a couple off mm's above legal now, and they need to get me though another 2 months of rego.
and, i don't want my car sitting in the impound yard, along with my wallet being $2000 lighter.

Woohoo, the boy has a got a big bore! Looks like its been splashed through the puddles at port gawler?

Yeah, fair enough. That small moment of fun isn't worth the hours of pain afterwards...

this arvo had a quick look at the barrel and head, there was a head gasket sitting there, so i refitted the head.
i spent a little bit of time cleaning out the fuel tap, which was totally blocked,
and a gave the fuel tank a quick flush through and blow out.
i chucked the tank back on and gave it a kick...
the Coyote fired first kick and then stalled, i put the choke on and gave it another kick and it fired up into life.
it blew quite a bit of smoke which was not surprising after seeing it have an oil filled bottom end, and also the header pipe having about 200mls of oil in it.
i raised the idle speed up, gave the mixture screw a quick adjustment, and dropped the idle back down to where it was happy.
it is quite a zingy little 2T, it blip revs without hesitation and up to about 3/4 throttle, but it might need some tweaking to clear it out at WOT.
i temporarily fitted the old DS80 muffler onto the back of the expansion chamber to quieten it down a bit using a bit of rubber heater hose

Seriously the head gasket turned up in the end did it? So weird it just disappeared maybe it was the thief dog??

nah it was there the whole time,
it had dirt built up around it on the barrel, that had fallen into the gap between the head and barrel so it looked like there wasn't a gasket there.

and i don't think Boss like chewing on alloy

Ah so he only steals plastic stuff like sunnies and irrigation parts I'm trying to dodgily attach my seat with....maybe in my case he was just worried about my safety and thought better to steal it rather than it failing...it was a pretty dodgy fix that one!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk

Cleve used to steal my Steel Wool and Stainless Scourers at my workshop though.
i'd find them shredded in a quiet corner of my workshop sometimes.

I bet old Cleve had good teeth!!! New cat was chewing on an alloy zip yesterday...cant understand the panel speaker....freaked her out a bit!

i had a go at Soda Blasting yesterday, seeing how it comes up
the surface rust comes off pretty easy, and you can even do the chrome rims etc without leaving a mark
when sandblasting it gets everywhere, the soda just blows away/wipes off.
the only thing is it is dearer to do than sandblasting, i need to find it cheap in 25kg bags
the stuff i bought yesterday was $4.20 for 2kg

Nice work so when you say soda...it it more of a powder?

yeah, you can use it cooking etc Baking Soda

Organic-Sorghum-Flour-20KG-image.jpg

Latest posts

Back