Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the landlord wants to take the verandah down, he won't pay to have it fixed.

Raelenes' car probably needs the throttle body cleaned, plugs checked/replaced, and the new fuel filter, plus an oil and filter change.
$500.....rofl
i can plug in my OBD2 scanner, and bring up the real time data from it to see if anything stands out.
it'll show any fault codes logged in the ECU, that's easy enough.
it take's 5 mins or so to set up a profile and run the scan, then i can give you the codes (if any) to look up on the net
then once the faults are fixed i can reset it.
how can you tell it's the timing belt that's sounding funny ?

yeah ok....sounds good...stuck head in engine bay and the timing belt is squeeking....wasnt doing that a couple of weeks ago...plus it was smoking white a bit but that was after the throttle body cleaner went it...it was kinda like no enough fuel...blockage or air...I took the air filter cover off first...wouldnt start...then added the throttle body cleaner red stuff. Took the earth wire off the battery....possibly did some wheelies up and down the road on the mini wr while passing the time. Re-connected earth and started it after about 5 seconds. Second try, sounded like something cleared and it started and stopped chugging...revved to 6k turned off and on a few times and started up fine better and better each time....so fuel blockage....not timing belt but it really really needs a good service and go through...plugs are still factory...but like way way better than iridium they're weird...need to be changed too etc

the timing belt would be inside the engine.
the fan/water pump/accessory belt would be on the outside of the engine.

when it's started in the morning or after it's been sitting for a day of more, does it blow a bit of white smoke then and sputter for a few seconds then come good?

95% of the time white coming out the exhaust means that the head gasket is leaking.
the coolant turns to steam, and evaporates within 5 or so metres from the tailpipe tip.
you get a funny burning coolant type of smell too.

the frame has been painted now.
i gave it 2 light coats of Black epoxy over the etch primer and let it sit in the sun for 25mins as it was only 10 degrees here this morning
then i gave it another 2 wet coats to finish it off.
i have the frame baking now, a few of hours and it should be 80% dry, most 2k and epoxys will dry to about 80% hardness overnight, and reach full hardness in around a week.
of coarse doing it in a heated booth would be much quicker,
the booth get's heated to 60° after the paint has been applied and left to bake for between 1 and 2 hours
the kero heater should help things speed up here.

here you can see the new swingarm lowered mounting holes

and this pic shows the top shock mounting holes that have been relocated back another 25mm

the timing belt would be inside the engine.
the fan/water pump/accessory belt would be on the outside of the engine.

when it's started in the morning or after it's been sitting for a day of more, does it blow a bit of white smoke then and sputter for a few seconds then come good?

95% of the time white coming out the exhaust means that the head gasket is leaking.
the coolant turns to steam, and evaporates within 5 or so metres from the tailpipe tip.
you get a funny burning coolant type of smell too.

That exactly what it did yesterday. Did it a couple of days before yesterday too.....crap so its the head gasket?? Think I might just be able to tighten the head....oh she just tells me she's had a cracked head gasket before.....this is a little beyond me thats why Im calling the expert....!!!

doubt you'll be able to tighten it.
maybe buy some Chemiweld and try a $10 fix first but it might not last too long.
guess it all depends on how long you will be keeping the car...

how much did it cost Raelene last time to have it done ?
if it was expensive, then they may had needed to weld up a corroded water gallery, or possibly a crack in the head ?
i can't even remember what sort of car it is, model, engine, year etc i know it's a little hatchback lol

it might be cheaper going to the UPI and taking one off a car yourself, check it out for corrosion etc then pay for it.
take it to have it machined, buy a VRS set for it, and put it all back together again
how many km's on it?
it could pay to do a timing belt and waterpump at the same time if it's done close on 200,000kms

doubt you'll be able to tighten it.
maybe buy some Chemiweld and try a $10 fix first but it might not last too long.
guess it all depends on how long you will be keeping the car...

how much did it cost Raelene last time to have it done ?
if it was expensive, then they may had needed to weld up a corroded water gallery, or possibly a crack in the head ?
i can't even remember what sort of car it is, model, engine, year etc i know it's a little hatchback lol

it might be cheaper going to the UPI and taking one off a car yourself, check it out for corrosion etc then pay for it.
take it to have it machined, buy a VRS set for it, and put it all back together again
how many km's on it?
it could pay to do a timing belt and waterpump at the same time if it's done close on 200,000kms

Its a mitsubihi colt, 2004 or something....fark, she's not going to be happy. Im flat out the next two weeks and we have a baby on the way, needs done, I dont have either the time or the know how to go pulling the head off of it....needs to be done if you want to do it we'll pay if not its going to the garage so we can get ripped off!

Z155Ho PY80 ??

Ahahahahha....looks a little large for that frame!

Ok Ill try some chem weld see how that goes. Not sure about the spark plugs they're some really weird type Bursons didnt have them....not sure if places like super cheap would even stock them. I think they're around $200 just for the plugs...

that works on some leaky radiators

the spark plugs for the Colt are
NGK Laser Irridiums, $25 ea ILZFR5B - NGK Laser Iridium Long Life Spark Plug Made IN Japan ILZFR5B Suitable FOR | eBay
or Denso Irridiums IKH16 $78 for 4- Denso Iridium Power Spark Plugs Nissan X Trail 2 5L 4 CYL IKH16 X 4 | eBay

Cool yeah bursons quoted me somerthing like 48 a plug....dodgy!! Im liking this guys advice...might give that a go, see if it works. SCA has another brand of stuff called risole which is bars in the US....

Rislone Radiator Stop Leak & Conditioner - 177mL - Supercheap Auto Australia

[video=youtube;YL9QjN7AcW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9QjN7AcW8[/video]

The weird thing is its never over heated. Might go through the fuel system. I mentioned above that I just happened to buy injector/efi cleaner from the cheap shop yesterday and only used 3/4s of it because I only had half a tank of fuel. Chucked the rest of that in Raes car and it started up after a few mins....If it is the gasket I recon its just happened. It was always kinda laggy when you put your foot on the throttle. Def needs to be run through the OBD2 scanner....pretty sure that will tell me what I need to know!

i'm not sure on that guy's idea to run it without the spark plug in it, but it might work

the Chemiweld is designed to work with carbon monoxide,
so it needs the spark plug to fire and burn the fuel to produce the gas, and make the chemiweld gel and then set

laggy acceleration can be caused from a dirty/oiled up throttle body,
the ecu senses it isn't getting enough air and opens the butterfly a bit more.
this also causes it to use a bit more fuel too

the frame has been painted now.
i gave it 2 light coats of Black epoxy over the etch primer and let it sit in the sun for 25mins as it was only 10 degrees here this morning
then i gave it another 2 wet coats to finish it off.
i have the frame baking now, a few of hours and it should be 80% dry, most 2k and epoxys will dry to about 80% hardness overnight, and reach full hardness in around a week.
of coarse doing it in a heated booth would be much quicker,
the booth get's heated to 60° after the paint has been applied and left to bake for between 1 and 2 hours
the kero heater should help things speed up here.

here you can see the new swingarm lowered mounting holes

and this pic shows the top shock mounting holes that have been relocated back another 25mm

now that looks like a top quality paint job!!!!

i'm not sure on that guy's idea to run it without the spark plug in it, but it might work

the Chemiweld is designed to work with carbon monoxide,
so it needs the spark plug to fire and burn the fuel to produce the gas, and make the chemiweld gel and then set

laggy acceleration can be caused from a dirty/oiled up throttle body,
the ecu senses it isn't getting enough air and opens the butterfly a bit more.
this also causes it to use a bit more fuel too

Yeah I might run a bunch of stuff through it when I service it...can use it to test if stuff works well. Reading up some of the reviews on additives and they're a bit hit and miss...but there are some out there that work! Do you know anyone that has used chemiweld or similar successfully? That Rislone brand seems ok.....couple of people saying it works.

i gave the engine a clean today,
and blasted most of the crusty paint and corrosion off all ready for some fresh paint

3/4 of the way there,
the darker spots/patches are where the worst of the corrosion was

Last edited:
But the colours were so nice before!!! I see lots of rough edges on the case molding too.....sub standard....oh **** I still have that file of yours too!!

Stu I know a few people that swear by Rislone Head gasket fix, but the reality is using these fixes can be only a bandaid fix. And most people that use it are flogging off their troubles and just put it in before selling.

Stu I know a few people that swear by Rislone Head gasket fix, but the reality is using these fixes can be only a bandaid fix. And most people that use it are flogging off their troubles and just put it in before selling.

Thanks for the concern Chops. Sounds good if it actually had head problems....fuel blockage sorted...ill let everyone know when it happens again.....im pretty much sure the fuel filter has never been changed on it before...being the source of the problems from 60,000km +

Latest posts

Back