Keihin PWK33 190FDX jetting questions!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.Jansson

Reaction score
Hello!

Well.. First off, I have two bikes. Both with Daytona Anima 190FDX.. Bought a PWK 33m carburetor to each engine.

To the problem.. I'm having quite big problems get it to run correctly.. Tried to get it alright with the needle that came with the engine.. That didn't work out, so I bought the Daytona needle and put the recommended jets.. Still having problem when i hit the throttle hard during load.. When I pull the choke out, it revv to the moon so quick and smooth, but it dies instantly when I'm not revving it..

Do any of you guys have any experience with the pwk 33 and can suggest jet sized or if you have any idea where the problem lies?

Thanks in advance!!!

You've had that PWK33 a while now, thought you might have had it dialed in.

What jetting are you running in the PWK33 now?
To me it sound's like the main jet is too small, if it help's the top end with the choke on then i'd go up a couple of size's on the main.
The dying when you are not revving it (guessing that it's only dying when the choke is on still), it's too rich
The choke give's extra fuel at all throttle opening's.

Might want to try a Mikuni Powerjet kit on it? they boost the fuel delivery in the top end.
This is one fitted to a PWK38
They are cheap at $22 US, Mikuni Power Jet Kit

DSC00297.jpg

I now have a modified Oko 30mm D Slide on my 190F, it has the same size jetting i was running in the old carby, a Polini PWK 28
It's got a #45 pilot jet and a #110 main jet, start's easy and love's to rev, if i go 1 jet bigger on the main i cant open the throttle above 1/4
I'd still like to try a bigger carby again on it, might get one of the new big bore OKO 's and try one of them next
Oko's are half the price and i'm tight with my cash.

-6562512327686371.jpg

Has anyone, anywhere got a 33mm to work? I did heaps of research before buying the carb for my 190 and settled on a 28mm PWK because I could find no evidence of one running right with the 33mm. I searched forums all over the world and same thing everywhere, "can't get to run right!"

I came to the conclusion the 33mm was too big and moved on, the 28mm goes mint!!

I watched this video after replying earlier,
a newly fitted PWK33 on a Daytona 190cc, you can hear it the spluttering etc with it being too rich on the main, even the pilot jetting sound's a bit lean .
I think he has the stock jetting in it, #42 pilot #125 main

[video=youtube;UxS2c4U0Or0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxS2c4U0Or0[/video]

Daytona 150F in a Honda Cub with a PWK33,
#42 pilot jet, #120 main jet, clip on the middle notch of the needle, mesh over intake
OP has asked him the jetting in the comment's too :thumbup:

[video=youtube;jx4QmGcR7Nc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx4QmGcR7Nc#t=22[/video]

You've had that PWK33 a while now, thought you might have had it dialed in.

What jetting are you running in the PWK33 now?
To me it sound's like the main jet is too small, if it help's the top end with the choke on then i'd go up a couple of size's on the main.
The dying when you are not revving it (guessing that it's only dying when the choke is on still), it's too rich
The choke give's extra fuel at all throttle opening's.

Might want to try a Mikuni Powerjet kit on it? they boost the fuel delivery in the top end.
This is one fitted to a PWK38
They are cheap at $22 US, Mikuni Power Jet Kit

I now have a modified Oko 30mm D Slide on my 190F, it has the same size jetting i was running in the old carby, a Polini PWK 28
It's got a #45 pilot jet and a #110 main jet, start's easy and love's to rev, if i go 1 jet bigger on the main i cant open the throttle above 1/4
I'd still like to try a bigger carby again on it, might get one of the new big bore OKO 's and try one of them next
Oko's are half the price and i'm tight with my cash.

Well. I haven't used the carb since -13. I'm getting back into the game, havn't been riding for a while and wanted to try out the pwk again.. I tried so hard with the stock needle, then bought the daytona in hope it will work but it didn't work so great, so i just lost the motivation..

Regarding the power jet. I'm not sure if I can find the inch drills and thread tapper. But I'm wondering if you have heard any one using that kit on a pitbike??

Yeah the dying etc was reffered as when i had the choke out!

I been trying around 125/42 as supposed to work.. I don't remember what i ended up with.

Maybe the carb is very sensitive to jet changes.

It kinda sputter i believe when i hit the gas fast, not sure if it dies or sputter. Sputter = to big jets? Dies = to small??
I have always thought i had to big jets, could they be to smal?

It could prob be little colder in sweden = bigger jets, colder = more air and therefore bigger jets?

Last edited:
I watched this video after replying earlier,
a newly fitted PWK33 on a Daytona 190cc, you can hear it the spluttering etc with it being too rich on the main, even the pilot jetting sound's a bit lean .
I think he has the stock jetting in it, #42 pilot #125 main

I talked to him on PM, he recomended 118-120/38-40 on stock pump fuel! Got to test this..

Last edited:
I know mine is very painfull to start if i go up one size in the main jet, so yeah mine is sensitive too
Jet it richer for cold weather, leaner for hot weather

So if you have a #125 mnain, try a #130 in it and see how it goes

Yeah I will put the carb on my racebike when i get home next weekend and try this out! Might try out what Klxracer has and see if it work out, since he have tested it and it works out!

Regarding the powerjet. I see a small hole in it.. Just wondering if it suck air from the surrounding?

Cracker of a carby if you can get it running right .. spark plugs are too expensive to foul on the Anima.

! Regarding the powerjet. I see a small hole in it.. Just wondering if it suck air from the surrounding?

Nah the hole goes across the jet, it's for a locking wire to run through so the screw doesn't come loose.

20151106_205758[1].jpg

20151106_205807[2].jpg

Te only thing with the Powerjet conversion is you'd need to buy 3 smaller ones than te 3x thhat are supplied with the kit, you will need a #10, #20 and a #30
And some smaller main jet's #110 up to #120

spark plugs are too expensive to foul on the Anima.
Get a small sand blaster set up to run off a compressor and use baking soda

before

after

i soda blasted the porcelain on this one too

Last edited:
I started the Anima 190 with the pwk. Got the daytona needle, 117 main and 38 pilot.. It ran really bad.. Then I tested to see how it ran with the choke, and it was pretty good actually.. So my guess the bike need more fuel? I will go back and test the needle and / or the main yet when i get back from my vacation..

Do you guys have any thoughts??

Choke = more fuel???

Yeah it'd be too lean off idle with a #38 pilot, i would try a #42 minimum maybe a #45
But how cold is it over there atm? might need a #40

Temperature here has averaged 40° C this week

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste my time with the 33 PWK.

It's just not needed. A PE or PWK 28mm are absolutely perfect for these motors.

The PWK's are so hard to tune unless you are really patient as well. The power is also VERY snappy afterwards. The PE has a much nicer power curve.

This is a case of bigger is not always better.

Comes down to rider preference and track really imo. A good rider could certainly use more punch, when I rode Craigs bike around my track I felt i could of used the extra punch from a bigger carb, and I'm no better than average.. get a skilled pilot behind it and I reckon they would really enjoy it... any flat track rider would definitely be able to use the extra grunt...

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Comes down to rider preference and track really imo. A good rider could certainly use more punch, when I rode Craigs bike around my track I felt i could of used the extra punch from a bigger carb, and I'm no better than average.. get a skilled pilot behind it and I reckon they would really enjoy it... any flat track rider would definitely be able to use the extra grunt...

Bigger carb does not necessarily mean more power.

Not a single 190 (and there would be 10+) in Vic Mini MX runs a 33mm carb and some of those guys are seriously fast.

I predict he will still be trying to tune this properly in a month's time. I did my PE in 10 mins and it's perfect.

Agree different power curves for different riders for sure but stick to what is known to work the 28mm's.

Craig your an exception because you can tune a carb in your sleep. LOL

So wish I could bring my 190 over for a ride at Christmas and show you!! haha

Are you around next Monday and want to come into town? Staying near Glen Elg. Want to shout you and Craig dinner and some beers if you can make it.

Wish I could make it down there mate, but I have to meet a guy who is buying the rm Monday. I know they can be hard to tune as you go bigger, but I would still love to try. The style of tracks you guys ride there probably would make a 33mm carbed 190 hard to tame to, my track is pretty much flat track, not many places on it where a light switch style power delivery can bite you.. tbh I think the 190 needs fuel injection to make the most of its power making ability all through the Rev range.
My former landlords sons crf150r had a 33mm keihin on it, and that's 40cc less...yeah its a water cooled upright, but the anima and 150r have similar rpm range, and I would expect a bigger cc engine to handle more air/fuel better...

Glenelg is only 10 min's from where i live, i don't have plan's.

I think the PWK33 would soften the 'flatslide hit' a bit ,and i'd like to have a play with one or something similar sized.
Manifold and inlet port's start to become a restriction when you go that big though.

The temperature here is around 10 degree Celsius atm, which make my bike want more fuel than when it's hot. Maybe a cause of the bike doesn't run great. I got the set up from a planetminis member..

Well if I don't get it to run great I will order a pe 28 but it would fun to get it to run ok. I have two of them so it feel kinda waste to not get them to run great!

Just out of curiosity . Do you run a warmer plug ngk er8eh in the cooler European climate.?

Latest posts

Back