Key Igntion tutorial (not electric start)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazza614

Reaction score
Hello,
i have always wanted a key switch on my pit bike not only for security but it also looks more of a professional bike with the key (people say that it wont do jack to stop people joyriding or stealing saying someone would just unplug it and off they go i see it this way if they are dumb enough to steal it they're probably not smart enough to know how to disconnect it anyway I could never ever find tutorial for how to do this nor could i ask anyone how to do this because they had never done it themselves so i decided to do it off the top of my head and it actually worked so i thought i would do a quick step by step for people you want to do the same. by doing it this way you can still use your normal kill switch.
1. buy a SPDT key switch the reason why is because it will only have two prongs. the ones made for pitbikes have four wires and four prongs and are meant to go on pit bikes that have a cdi that are made to support the key switch.
2. memorize at what part of the wire where you want to connect your key switch then disconnect your pitbike kill-switch by unplugging it from your coil (the kill switch should only have two wires if yours doesn't stop here.)
3.remove kill switch and grab the key switch, solder, a soldering iron, scissors and wire strippers.
4. There are 2 ways you can do this part you can cut the wires inline with where you are intercepting the into the wires and twist the wires (so say you have a green wire and a black you would twist the greens together and the black together (so there are so they are two individual wires) facing upawards to the sky or the second way without curting wires in half using the wire strippers strip a small amount of insulation (about a centimeter long ) inline with where abouts you want to mount your key switch so the wire is still intact but a small part of the wire is exposed . the first way is easier to solder on to the switch however the second way is neater (if you want to use shrink tubing as an alternative of electrical tape slip it over now.
5. solder the two wires (where the actual wire is exposed not the outer insulation) on to the prongs so for each wire as its on prong.
6. once soldering is finished let it cool then use ethier electrical tape or the shrink tube to cover exposed solder points.
7. connect killswitch back up
8. You can mount the key switch anyway you want. I used some simple zip ties to securer the switch to the frame remember not to mount it near the natural pivot point of your handlebars or forks.
9.to test disconnect spark plug cap and turn on your orignal kill switch and insert key and turn the key. try to kickstart it. if you can not here a ticking from the spark plug cap turn the key the other way try to kick start it again and you should here the cap tick what ever position the key is in when you hear the tick is your on position. put the spark plug cap back over the spark plug.
10. Enjoy you have added a key to your bike.
I am not responsible for any damage you do to your bike if you do it wrong
Feel free to ask any question though i cant promise i can tell you the answer ha ha And i will post some photos if requested
Also this was done on a Atomik Nitrous 150cc
-Bazz

Last edited:
Good work!
my yamoto 125 had a key ignition standard.
i just unpluged it (plugs into the cdi unit) and took it off.

a key ignition wont stop someone pulling the clutch in and or finding neutral and pushing it away.
A chain and or disc lock will slow them down.

Thanks jev i am thinking About getting a disc lock but the key will do for now haha the thing i like about the key is you don't have to take it off and on but a disc lock is more secure
-bazz

Latest posts

Back